Ever been the ONLY one online at DC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
since learning from bt about 'lurking' on the dc website, i have developed the habit of occasionally checking to see who is online. i do this mostly in the wee morning hours when not much of anyone is around. it is also a time when the fact of our multiple time zones becomes more clearly evident.

but despite our differing time zones, there comes a time, roughly between 3:00 and 4:30am, (eastern time) that the site becomes virtually abandoned.

my goal has been to be the ONLY one online at dc one of these days. i have come close a few times, roaming the site with only a few other dcers present. one time last month, there were only two of us onsite. you won't believe how exciting that actually felt for a brief moment. it is akin to the feeling one gets when he is awake at night, while (it seems) that the whole rest of the world is sleeping, so as to be virtually non-existent. oddly enough, a supreme rush!

anyhoo, do any of you aspire to be 'king of the mountain' at dc for a minute? has anyone done it? contemplated doing it? quick, before tomorrow's dinner post arrives on set....:)

Last edited:
I generally open several tabs and go back and forth between them throughout the day. For instance, I usually have my email open, as well as Facebook, Twitter, Discuss Cooking, and others as I need them. I am a night owl, so you will probably see me on during some weird hours. :cool: Even though I have DC open, I pop in now and then. I'm not here all the hours it looks like I am. :wacko:

I have been the only one here, but only once or twice in the 11 or so years I have been on DC.

Last edited:
Not for me thanks.

I come to DC for the interaction, the food ain't bad either! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I do understand the feeling though.

I used to get a similar feeling driving through the sleeping city on my way to work or listening to Tender Is the Night by Jackson Browne!

I've been on when only a couple other members were logged in, but I've never been the only one here (that I've noticed). And don't forget there are those who walk among us that like to be invisible... :ermm:

I think I have been on here once when no-one else was online...but that is easy since being in a different time zone

I guess we all have our goals in life...

That never occurred to me. I never wake up in the middle of the night and think to do anything other than go back to sleep!

I guess we all have our goals in life...

That never occurred to me. I never wake up in the middle of the night and think to do anything other than go back to sleep!

No? You must be older than I thought you were :whistling

:angel:

I've been on when only a couple other members were logged in, but I've never been the only one here (that I've noticed). And don't forget there are those who walk among us that like to be invisible... :ermm:

oh s__t, pac, i hadn't thought of those invisible ones!! well, that certainly alters the landscape, doesn't it? one can't exactly glory in being alone in the night with the knowledge of the ever-present contradicting floaters about.
thanks a lot, pac....:ermm:

No? You must be older than I thought you were :whistling

:angel:

That all depends on how old you thought I was...

Getting up in the middle of he night and doing stuff has never been something I got into. I may have done it 3-5 times in my life (not necessarily in recent years).

That all depends on how old you thought I was...

Getting up in the middle of he night and doing stuff has never been something I got into. I may have done it 3-5 times in my life (not necessarily in recent years).

You never said, "Honey, are you awake?"
nudge, nudge. wink, wink. Say no more...

You never said, "Honey, are you awake?"
nudge, nudge. wink, wink. Say no more...

lol, that reminds me of a joke.

an older chinese couple went to bed late one night after closing their restaurant. the husband, feeling frisky, nudged his wife gently, saying, "honey, how about a little 69? ;) "

the wife questioned, "why you want beef and broccoli at this time of night?"...

:mrgreen:

vit, i have been the only visible member online many times over the years, but not as much over recent times. yeah, 3 to 5 am seems to be the leaner hours.

with our members from england (gmt), italy (gmt +2), africa (gmt +1, +2, or+3), india (gmt +5.5), and oz (gmt +8, +9.5, and +10), and of course from eastern to western u.s., canada, and all the way to hawaii (gmt -5, -6, -7, -8, -9, and -10) it's become much more difficult to be king of the mountain.

geez, i remember when there were only a few hundred members, and it was common to log on at night a be the only member with less than a page of guest lurkers. back when elfie and mj were the only mods on patrol.

to steal a line from a women's cigarette add, we've come a long way, baby.

Last edited:
I've had it happen a few times. I tend to be on DC really early sometimes.

zhi, you're almost always the first online to start a new day, well, in relevance to est.

vit, et al, if you log in during those wee hours, it's important to report spam whenever you see it (but not my posts, please :innocent:).

zhi has often gracefully thanked people for doing so as she is the first to deal with it.

btw, the irish invented the term wee hours due to the effects of guinness and prostate cancer.

and aunt bea, when no one's around at 3am, try lurker surfing. it's funand educational at tbe same time.

Last edited:
OK, BT, I'll ask... IS #69 beef and broccoli on a Chinese menu?
I swear all those restaurants use the same numbered menu. You should know ;)

yep, they're all printed by the same guy in chinatown. his name is pete.

his brother prints the instructions seen on chopsticks tbat says, "please to enjoy your excellent chinese food with traditional chopsticks".

the fortune cookie gut hates them. keeps trying to steal their business by sending them threatening fortune cookies. but like everyone else, no one really believes a fortune cookie...

yep, they're all printed by the same guy in chinatown. his name is pete.

his brother prints the instructions seen on chopsticks tbat says, "please to enjoy your excellent chinese food with traditional chopsticks".

the fortune cookie gut hates them. keeps trying to steal their business by sending them threatening fortune cookies. but like everyone else, no one really believes a fortune cookie...

Most of the traditional disposable chopsticks are made in Georgia now.

Strange but, true! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom