Ever feel like a snob...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JGDean
My mother hated to cook. My sister and I both liked it. Part of the conditions of getting spending money growing up was cooking dinner for the family as my mother worked outside the home. My grandma was an excellent cook although growing up in WVa she added bacon fat to nearly everything. I learned to cook by reading and trial and error. Two things I learned: cumin is not good in tuna salad and Mashed Potatoes do not come out well in a food processor unless you like eating wall paper glue.

Oh gosh, last night I whipped my potatoes and I think I whipped too long.. they ended up gummy and gluey! They still tasted okay, but the texture was strange lol...

JGDean

Oh gosh, last night I whipped my potatoes and I think I whipped too long.. they ended up gummy and gluey! They still tasted okay, but the texture was strange lol...
Yep, that can do it! I rinse my cut potatoes in a few changes of water before I boil them - that seems to reduce the incidence of gumminess, too.

JGDean

:) I think you may have not used enough water Fishers Mom's idea is good also but over whipping is not the problem more water helps get rid of the starch.

To the OP: I don't think you're being snobby at all. It isn't like you're telling them they suck, you're still going there and eating it and having fun.

What's way worse is when you have a friend who THINKS they're Thomas Keller but in reality is awful. When someone who can't cook is getting really theatrical and makes the focus ON the food (bad food), then maybe it's time someone says something.

At any rate, what interests me more is your reluctance to cook with others. I am a NAZI in the kitchen and I generally don't like any meddlers around (i.e. people snagging tastes or asking me questions), but I still like cooking with others (even people who have zero background) when that's what I've set out to do in the first place.

I have friends over all the time to cook stuff, some are incredible cooks and others know squat. Neither situation is more fun than the other, it's always a blast.

My friends that can't cook generally don't try much without my nudging however, so I don't tend to really have your problem. They'd rather just go out.

Back
Top Bottom