"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Master Chef

Ever found yourself disliking a food that is loved by most?

Hola my DC family! Missed you all :)

For some reason I just can't stand Carrots, they taste bitter to me and I don't know why. I still eat them since I can't tell my kids to eat what I don't lol!
I don't touch Chicken either, don't even like the smell and I used to like it before I had my children. I still eat the livers but for some reason being pregnant put me off. Started eating chicken 2 yrs after my sons birth again but since a recent miscarriage 2 month ago I battle cooking it for my family without gagging lol!
Anyone else have a similar dislike or started disliking a food they loved before?

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Master Chef

Glad you're back Snip and sorry about the miscarriage. While it's not food, since menopause I have trouble with toothpaste. Only Crest will not make me gag all the time. In general, it seems that foods I used to dislike, I now can tolerate except for liver. I applaud you for choking down those carrots in front of your kids!

Old 09-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Glad you're back Snip and sorry about the miscarriage. While it's not food, since menopause I have trouble with toothpaste. Only Crest will not make me gag all the time. In general, it seems that foods I used to dislike, I now can tolerate except for liver. I applaud you for choking down those carrots in front of your kids!
Thanks, just wasn't meant to be. I'm fine about it, didn't know I was pregnant so I never really felt it was real.

Thank you for the reply, maybe the Chicken thing is hormonal. Menopause and pregnancy both change your hormone levels but it doesn't explain why I haven't eaten it since.

Not sure about the carrots either, I've heard that some people find certain veggies bitter because of some or other scientific reason but I can't find info on it.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Wine Guy

Caviar for me. I know it's expensive and luxurious, and I've had several occasions where I've tried it. I even once had an opportunity to try Beluga, which is supposedly the very best.

I just don't like it. It has a weird texture and tastes salty and fishy.

Other than that, I really like almost every food, with few exceptions.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Cauliflower, beets, ricotta, celery, swiss chard, rhubarb...
Old 09-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Bananas. Pears. Pumpkin. Rhubarb. I'll eat bananas in banana bread (if I don't have to smell them first). Pears in pear crisp. Pumpkin...well, I can't say when I eat pumpkin...I don't bring any pumpkins home from the garden. Rhubarb. I did a rhubarb theme night...I'd eat the curry again and the rhubarb ice cream. But otherwise, it is not high on my list. And I do NOT eat smoked Eel or majatas (sp). I've gagged it down to be polite, but do not like.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
Master Chef

I agree with Steve on the caviar, I would much rather have a PB&J!

Snip, try a dash of grated nutmeg on your carrots.

I guess for me it is not really a dislike but, I really do not care about steak.

I would rather have a roast of beef than a steak.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Snip I'm one of those when it comes to smells. Chicken the smell gets me right now so when I open the package I have warm water running and lemon juice at hand. I rinse, the rub that baby with lemon. plus I have another half to hold under my nose if need be. I'm sure there are other things vinegar maybe what will help you. I''ve found once it gets cooking I can handle the chicken but I do wear rubber gloves that I can dispose of when I handle chicken or my hands become off limits even to me. I'm sorry about the loss of the baby, It hurts, I know, I lost one years ago so you have my best wishes foe the future. I dislike carrots too. I do find I like home grown the small short ones are great. But store bought are yukky unless they have the greens left on them. But in case DH comes home with that kind from storage, I cook them with butte, brown sugar and some lemon juice. As a small child I adored med rare steak. NOW I can barley choke it down. I too would rather have some nice roast bef and gravy. Don't give up snip I'd bet the smell thing will eventually go away. I fix and use to love Pesto for my family but basil got really a bad thing for me. I'm ok with it now but there for awhile it was no thank you for me.
kades
Old 09-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Cooked salmon, pumpkin and other hard squash, freshwater fish (but I haven't met a saltwater fish I didn't like), most beans that have been dried (black beans are okay and garbanzo beans are great), lima beans (but fava beans are fine), white bread, white rice, white saltines, lentils, store-bought ketchup (but the stuff I made was wonderful). Oh yeah, cilantro, yuck!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
Master Chef

As cute as they are, I detest brussel sprouts, and I've honestly tried to like them. I've heard people give various methods of cooking them so I'd like them, but not even bacon with sprouts has converted me. If bacon won't cure them, nothing will.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food