Ever have one of those bad cooking/baking weekends?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Nothing I have made turned out as well as I wanted it to. I did a lot of baking/cooking this weekend. Things turned out decent but not exceptional. :ermm:
-2 loaves of white bread: they tasted ok but looked very ugly.
-my challah didn't taste like challah.
-I made a halloween cake to enter into a work competition tomorrow. The buttercream frosting didn't set properly for some reason. I never put milk in and it was already pretty creamy. (Hopefully it'll set properly).
-I made a cake with whipped cream frosting yesterday for a potluck. The whipped cream didn't get as firm as it normally does, even with all the whipping I did.

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Ever just have one of those weekends? I can't imagine you guys having a MISS on every single thing you made....

htc said:
... I can't imagine you guys having a MISS on every single thing you made....

Why's that?? Are we all perfect? Not from where I sit. We all have bad times. Why shouldn't you share in the agony!?

I have gotten so frustrated with stuff not coming out right that I've been ready to throw my KA mixer through the window. (I didn't)

I'm sorry this weekend was a bust. I'll bet that even if some things didn't look good, they taste pretty good.

You have had successes so you know it's not about not being able to do it. It's just that this was not a weekend you should have been baking. You probably should have gone to a movie.

I'd bet things come out fine next time.

Oh definately Htc! Somedays I know I just should have stayed in bed! I hate the days too...where everything you touch...either spills...drops on the floor....or whatever...it seems to usually happen when I started out with the kitchen extra clean...lol.

You are not alone HTC, Sheet happens!!
Just a couple of weekends ago I wanted to make a south-tirolian Carrot Cake, and somehow it became a disaster and I still don't know where I went wrong, I mixed the ingredients and baked in the oven as the instruction said (or I believe I did) yet it came out as a horrible hash, outside sticking to the silicon form (which should never happen), inside still slimy goo.
Then I wanted to bake a multi-grain bread filled with sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, linseeds etc. just like the ones we enjoyed in the south alps this summer... now this thing came out all dense and like a brick, if I toasted it it could be somewhat edible but... I hate it when a bread turns out like this... I suspect when I added the sunflowerseeds they were too cold, they came from the freezer and probably I didn't "defrost" them enough.
Anyway it was a quite demoralizing double disaster, Cris had to take over the kitchen for a day or two while I was swearing I would never touch anything in the kitchen from now on, but thankfully, things are back to normal, my risotto and Brussell Sprouts & Mushrooms in the skillet with cheese and bechamelle were very tasty last night!:-p

Last edited:
OH YEAH!!!! I have days like that all the time. Every thing I touch drops, spills, breaks or some how crashes. I try not to cook anything but canned soup on those days and even that seems to burn.. All ya can do is remember that "after all tomorrow is another day" and start over.

I'm glad to hear it's not just me! :) My bread baking continue to suffer. The raisin bread I made tonight didn't turn out as good as I would have liked. I let it rise too long and didn't realize it until after I baked it. It's a frustrating learning process.

I think to make myself feel better, next week I will just make Chinese and Vietnamese food. If THAT goes south then I better take a break. :)

Back
Top Bottom