Everybody has a FaceBook account, by now, don't they? Do you have one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cellphones should have an answering function that you can listen to the message and then pick up if it's important.

Isn't that call screening?

Buckytom, really? I'm not going to claim I've not said things I regret, that would be ridiculous. Having said that much though, I think I can say I try to be careful not to say and do stupid things that will later come back to bite me in the a$$. I'm not always successful, but I do try. You are a nice guy too, and I don't see you deliberately calling folks down. You poke at people, you have a temper, but you aren't spiteful or mean. Thumper would approve of you. I think the point is that I'm not dancing naked on a table in Mexico and having a million people snap pix with their phones.

To play devil's advocate a bit here, those of you without FB accounts, how can you be sure nothing you've done has shown up on FB? Just because you don't have an account doesn't mean you don't show up. You might not be "tagged" in a photo, but you could sure be referenced in the comments. I've seen lots of party pix where not all the people are tagged but they're all mentioned.

Last edited:
lol, alix, yes, really.

i wasn't talking about posts that i'd regretted. in fact, with all of the ridiculous things that i've said, i only regret 2 or 3. :) ok, 2..

but yes, there are limits. i don't like pooping on a thread ( if you dislike the subject, shut the Front door! who cares if you're contrary unless you have something to add to the spirit of the thread, or have a funny or inspirational counterpoint.)

and hey, i am mean.... grrrrrr.

i just dislike having battles of wit with unarmed people that insist on it.

i just dislike having battles of wit with unarmed people that insist on it.

I'll just stand by and be a witless witness. ;) I hear you though. I catch myself being stupid about some things I should just ignore. I have trouble ignoring.

Isn't that call screening?

Yes. I have to either look at Caller-ID or wait until they've left a message and call my voice mail. I would like to listen to the message while it's being recorded, then be able to interrupt if the call is important.

To play devil's advocate a bit here, those of you without FB accounts, how can you be sure nothing you've done has shown up on FB? Just because you don't have an account doesn't mean you don't show up. You might not be "tagged" in a photo, but you could sure be referenced in the comments. I've seen lots of party pix where not all the people are tagged but they're all mentioned.

I'm sure my website has been tagged. I can see site traffic and where it comes from. It doesn't bother me because there is no personal information on my website.

A cell phone is like the front door; just because somebody knocks, don't mean you gotta answer it. The most effective thing to do is turn the phone off.....I know, I know... that is heresy for some...That's ok, I been a heretic afore.
Brings to mind one of the most ridiculous commercials I seen in a while. It is a commercial for some truck. There is a bunch of guys looking for a suitable campin' spot where they have no cell phone service. Can it be that folks truly do not understand that you can turn these devices off?!?!

:(.....sorry..I got carried away...
Back to your original programming

Last edited:
A cell phone is like the front door; just because somebody knocks, don't mean you gotta answer it. The most effective thing to do is turn the phone off.....I know, I know... that is heresy for some...That's ok, I been a heretic afore.
Brings to mind one of the most ridiculous commercials I seen in a while. It is a commercial for some truck. There is a bunch of guys looking for a suitable campin' spot where they have no cell phone service. Can it be that folks truly do not understand that you can turn these devices off?!?!

:(.....sorry..I got carried away...
Back to your original programming

Hoot, I agree with you 100% but I must caution you that looking for logic in a TV ad will drive you to distraction. Stop now and just enjoy the stupidity.

I have had one for around 4 years now. I didnt know what FaceBook was for at first, but accepted friends invitation out of politeness.

Mel:)

I don't have a FB account (or Twitter). The local News has been running a contest to win Free groceries (weekly draw), but the only way to enter is to "Like" them on FB. :(

Go to your profile and select the "profile privacy" section.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/profile.php?do=privacy

Go to the "profile privacy" section and change the setting for "contact info" to "your contacts." (There should be a "nobody" choice but there isn't.) Click save. (And then don't add anybody to your contact list. I don't use that feature.)

Additionally you can control who can send you an email through the forum. Go to your profile and select the "edit options" section.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

Scroll down to "messaging & notification" and clear the check next to "receive email from other members." Click "save changes."

Thanks for the reminder. I hadn't wanted my email address visible to anybody but apparently the default shows for any member logged in. (People not logged in cannot see this information, i.e. guests.)

Thanks Greg! :) I have now selected that only friends can see my contact info, so hopefully nobody else can see my email address now, except a few friends. :)

Can you see my email addy? I haven't looked recently, but I have had my setting on PM only for years. Unless the software on the site changed and I missed something you shouldn't be able to email me.

Would somebody also check mine, to make sure I hid the email address properly. :)

Thanks Greg! :) I have now selected that only friends can see my contact info, so hopefully nobody else can see my email address now, except a few friends. :)

I prefer to be contacted by PMs. I'm willing to exchange email addresses with any CD members if they want to have an email conversation. Just PM me.

I have no problem with sharing my e-mail address. Heaven knows with all the e-mails I have sent over the years, it is already out there. And if I get a piece of mail that I don't recognize, I send it to the spam file. Works like a charm. My google account is strictly for DC. :)

I started my FB account a few years back to coordinate with a nephew in Afghanistan. Now I check it every once in awhile to see what's up, but that means maybe a couple times a month. I have found a couple of friends from the past, and we've connected, but nothing much besides curiousity sated.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom