Everybody has a FaceBook account, by now, don't they? Do you have one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Addie, I don't think Mel! was talking about DC in particular, but about forums in general where you have less individual control than on FB. Its not about the rules, its about those scummy people who flame or spam the boards. On FB if someone is bugging you, you don't need someone else to fix it for you, you can do it yourself. Here, someone can be sending you nasties in your PM inbox and you can't banish them yourself, you need a Mod to do it for you. Best you can do is Ignore them and that doesn't take care of the PM situation entirely.

Last edited:
Moderators here are always on the ball. I have no problem with the job they do. The rules are simple. Follow them and no one should have any problems. :)
Very true... Although I will admit to participating in threads that I was pretty certain were gonna disappear. Only been hollered at once (politely but firmly)... and that was my fault, so I ain't got nobody to blame but myself.

Addie, I don't think Mel! was talking about DC in particular, but about forums in general where you have less individual control than on FB. Its not about the rules, its about those scummy people who flame or spam the boards. On FB if someone is bugging you, you don't need someone else to fix it for you, you can do it yourself. Here, someone can be sending you nasties in your PM inbox and you can't banish them yourself, you need a Mod to do it for you. Best you can do is Ignore them and that doesn't take care of the PM situation entirely.

I understood that. It was just a message in general. The Mods are pretty much on the job here. If there is any flaming here, it is deleted before anyone can even read it. And I like the fact that the language is controlled also. No outright swearing. I know. That makes me a snob and a prude. So be it. :)

I understood that. It was just a message in general. The Mods are pretty much on the job here. If there is any flaming here, it is deleted before anyone can even read it. And I like the fact that the language is controlled also. No outright swearing. I know. That makes me a snob and a prude. So be it. :)
If I might be allowed to disagree, Addie, maintainin' a civil tongue has nothing to do with bein' a snob or a prude.

One thing I find about FaceBook in comparison with forums, is it is easier to dodge the negative types. You just click a couple of options, and then they are gone, unlike on forums where moderators make decisions and not always effective and/or good decisions about what to do with abuse reports. :)
Most forums have a feature where a member can block out posts and PMs from other members who they dislike. I'm pretty sure DC has that.

My Hubby has a facebook account (his sister talked him into it) and people he knew in HS are asking him to be their friend. They weren't his friend in HS, but want to be now??? he doesn't do anything with his account.

...I have a couple of annoying "friends" from high school that bother me by attempting to chat/ send multiple jokes ...
I'm never quite sure if I should send a chat type email, to people I know from long ago or not. Usually, I dont know what to say, as our lives have taken completely differnt directions, so I just wait for them to share something I can comment on. :)

i haven't checked my fb account for a while now, and when i did it was equal parts good and bad.

the bad was the ex-gf again. looney as ever, this time even with a bizarre picture showing how skinny she's become. i'd feel bad about blocking her if she needed help, but i don't think i want to open up that can o' worms to find out. i made sure dw saw me deny her offer of friendship once again, though. now i need to do that blocking thing.

the good part was an old high school buddy looked me up. he's about one of the very few guys from h.s. that i'd truely like to meet up with again.

so, it was a 50/50 day on fb for me.

Last edited:
i haven't checked my fb account for a while now, and when i did it was equal parts good and bad.

the bad was the ex-gf again. looney as ever, this time even with a bizarre picture showing how skinny she's become. i'd feel bad about blocking her if she needed help, but i don't think i want to open up that can o' worms to find out. i made sure dw saw me deny her offer of friendship once again, though. now i need to do that blocking thing.

the good part was an old high school buddy looked me up. he's about one of the very few guys from h.s. that i'd truely like to meet up with again.

so, it was a 50/50 day on fb for me.

BuckyT - sounds like you have been patient for long enough, do the blocking thing. Thats it for me too re the old chums, it's nice to catch up with those you would like to see again. :)

They keep sending me emails.

If someone knows how to shut it down totally I would love to hear.

I read something about getting rid of FaceBook forever, on an internet forum. I think you need to do something to some files on your computer. I didn't ask them for details at the time, but I will now. Hopefully, they will tell me exactly how you get rid of FaceBook forever, for those who want to. I'll post the details if I manage to find them out. :)

Last edited:
In addition to deactivating your FB account you may want to see if FB left any cookies on your computer, and if so delete them too.

Apparently, you can't delete FaceBook accounts. So, you can only deactivate them or something. Weird! Surely, people should be entitled to delete their own accounts...

What I would do if this true, is contact FaceBook to have the account reactivated and then put a fake email address on it, and then after you wait for a while to make sure the notifications are no longer being sent to your regular email address, then deactivate the FaceBook account again.

From what some have told me, FaceBook can be a bit slow with getting things sorted, after you send a request. Hopefully, they are improving.

Last edited:
Apparently, you can't delete FaceBook accounts. So, you can only deactivate them or something. Weird! Surely, people should be entitled to delete their own accounts...

What I would do if this true, is contact FaceBook to have the account reactivated and then put a fake email address on it...

Definitely! When getting rid of any service, or for that matter anybody who might keep sending you email, switch them to a fake address or Yahoo or Hotmail account, and THEN get rid of them.

That way they can't keep spamming you, begging you to come back.

Definitely! When getting rid of any service, or for that matter anybody who might keep sending you email, switch them to a fake address or Yahoo or Hotmail account, and THEN get rid of them.

That way they can't keep spamming you, begging you to come back.
Doesn't it have to be a real email account? Don't these places follow proper procedure and only accept the email address after verification? You know, they send you an email and you have to reply or click a link.

If you need a real email address that you can stop getting email to, spamgourmet - free disposable email addresses, spam blocker works great. You can get disposable email addresses and they stop working after 20 emails (unless you extend that) or when you tell it to stop working. They forward to whatever email address you want. They don't show your real email address if you reply to an email.

Yes, I forgot to mention disposable addresses, etc. I wasn't referring specifically to FB (I've never been on it so I don't know about it) but just talking about any kinds of sites like shopping or whatever. If you're going to leave, find any method available and change your email address with them before terminating, so that they won't continue to spam you.

If I receive emails from a site after a transaction, there is usually an "Unsubscribe" option in the fine print at the bottom of the email. It's always worked for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom