"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #81
Everymom

Addie, I don't think Mel! was talking about DC in particular, but about forums in general where you have less individual control than on FB. Its not about the rules, its about those scummy people who flame or spam the boards. On FB if someone is bugging you, you don't need someone else to fix it for you, you can do it yourself. Here, someone can be sending you nasties in your PM inbox and you can't banish them yourself, you need a Mod to do it for you. Best you can do is Ignore them and that doesn't take care of the PM situation entirely.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #82
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Moderators here are always on the ball. I have no problem with the job they do. The rules are simple. Follow them and no one should have any problems.
Very true... Although I will admit to participating in threads that I was pretty certain were gonna disappear. Only been hollered at once (politely but firmly)... and that was my fault, so I ain't got nobody to blame but myself.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Addie, I don't think Mel! was talking about DC in particular, but about forums in general where you have less individual control than on FB. Its not about the rules, its about those scummy people who flame or spam the boards. On FB if someone is bugging you, you don't need someone else to fix it for you, you can do it yourself. Here, someone can be sending you nasties in your PM inbox and you can't banish them yourself, you need a Mod to do it for you. Best you can do is Ignore them and that doesn't take care of the PM situation entirely.
I understood that. It was just a message in general. The Mods are pretty much on the job here. If there is any flaming here, it is deleted before anyone can even read it. And I like the fact that the language is controlled also. No outright swearing. I know. That makes me a snob and a prude. So be it.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #84
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I understood that. It was just a message in general. The Mods are pretty much on the job here. If there is any flaming here, it is deleted before anyone can even read it. And I like the fact that the language is controlled also. No outright swearing. I know. That makes me a snob and a prude. So be it.
If I might be allowed to disagree, Addie, maintainin' a civil tongue has nothing to do with bein' a snob or a prude.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #85
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel! View Post
One thing I find about FaceBook in comparison with forums, is it is easier to dodge the negative types. You just click a couple of options, and then they are gone, unlike on forums where moderators make decisions and not always effective and/or good decisions about what to do with abuse reports.
Most forums have a feature where a member can block out posts and PMs from other members who they dislike. I'm pretty sure DC has that.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #86
Executive Chef

No facebook for Me. No thanks!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #87
Executive Chef

My Hubby has a facebook account (his sister talked him into it) and people he knew in HS are asking him to be their friend. They weren't his friend in HS, but want to be now??? he doesn't do anything with his account.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #88
Sous Chef

Quote:
...I have a couple of annoying "friends" from high school that bother me by attempting to chat/ send multiple jokes ...
I'm never quite sure if I should send a chat type email, to people I know from long ago or not. Usually, I dont know what to say, as our lives have taken completely differnt directions, so I just wait for them to share something I can comment on.
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #89
Sous Chef

i like fb. i think it's neat that high school friends show up.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

i haven't checked my fb account for a while now, and when i did it was equal parts good and bad.

the bad was the ex-gf again. looney as ever, this time even with a bizarre picture showing how skinny she's become. i'd feel bad about blocking her if she needed help, but i don't think i want to open up that can o' worms to find out. i made sure dw saw me deny her offer of friendship once again, though. now i need to do that blocking thing.

the good part was an old high school buddy looked me up. he's about one of the very few guys from h.s. that i'd truely like to meet up with again.

so, it was a 50/50 day on fb for me.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote