Everybody has a FaceBook account, by now, don't they? Do you have one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
I have had one for around 4 years now. I didnt know what FaceBook was for at first, but accepted friends invitation out of politeness.

Mel:)

I am much the same.
I was the webmaster for our re-enactment club for over a decade. a couple or three years ago, somebody at Rendezvous came up and asked me if OVPR had a Facebook page. I said I didn't know.
When I got home I went to check.
Well you can't really look at much on Facebook without joining. So I did....Now I got a boatload of friends and I rarely go there.

I dont have one and never had...it just doesnt interest me enough....forums are so much better in my opinion :)

I do have one. It consists of school friends, family and a few good friends I have met online. There have also been a few accidental adds that I need to fix. I seldom post anything about my life, and never divulge anything out of line... a few co-workers have been fired over things that has been said about our company! I do like to keep up with friends and family. :) I have a couple of annoying "friends" from high school that bother me by attempting to chat/ send multiple jokes when I log on but I'm too polite to tell them so ;) I also have DC listed as a like on there but I never see any posts from here!

Last edited:
I have but I never go there.
The kids created it for me years ago but I don't want it.
I tried to delete it but, strangely, I don't think that is possible.
They keep sending me emails.

If someone knows how to shut it down totally I would love to hear.

Like some of the others here, I have a FB account that comes with an excuse for why I have it. (My excuse is mundane and boring but I will share it upon request). I use it to keep up with kids and family and play Word with Friends.

Many of us have grave reservations about loss of privacy by use of Facebook accounts. Others have serious complaints about Facebook's ever changing privacy policy, and their evolution of new features where you're opted in unless you opt out, and often by the time you have a chance to opt out your privacy is already breached. And you never know when FB will change their policy again, or when new features will give you new privacy leaks.

Most of us who are not on Facebook (me included) just don't trust them to maintain our privacy, and in fact many of us see their site is the opposite of privacy. A feature for many, a problem for a few who still value our privacy.

I don't see how you can join FB without ruining your privacy.

Many of us have grave reservations about loss of privacy by use of Facebook accounts. Others have serious complaints about Facebook's ever changing privacy policy, and their evolution of new features where you're opted in unless you opt out, and often by the time you have a chance to opt out your privacy is already breached. And you never know when FB will change their policy again, or when new features will give you new privacy leaks.

Most of us who are not on Facebook (me included) just don't trust them to maintain our privacy, and in fact many of us see their site is the opposite of privacy. A feature for many, a problem for a few who still value our privacy.

I don't see how you can join FB without ruining your privacy.

I totally agree with you Greg

I too agree with you Greg. As much as I enjoy everyone here in the forum, you will notice that I don't give any info of my kids names or pics. I trust the folks here, but I don't know what happens to anything put on FB and the internet. I got involved by my son because he wanted me to see the pics of the baby. I guess it is too much work to send them to me directly via email. I no longer go there. I unfriended everyone, even my family members.

What horrifies me the most is what kids put out there. They fail to see the danger of the internet. Including the children in my family. I don't see any protection for children. :(

Once you have posted something on the Internet it will be there forever, or at least far longer than you can hope to ever live. There are far too many examples to doubt that.

I'm tempted to get a FB page for myself, just to deny it to others, and post nothing. This could be at least some possible defense against impersonation

But meanwhile I want nothing to do with it. I'm just sorry there's nothing to do to shut down ancestry, genealogy and public record sites. Hackers have all the sources they need to rip us all off. No reason to join FB and give the hackers more ammo.

And did you ever consider prospective employers accessing your FB page? Remember when you were really drunk and had sex with *** and took pictures? Remember the picture of the time you were in the gay costume and smoking dope?

Maybe it was funny when you were 18-19 years old. Maybe it's not so funny at 34-35 and you're trying to get a job and personnel department came up with your dope and sex pictures...

I'm retired now and I don't have any haunting pictures out there, but I hate to think that my lack of cautioning you all would end up you not heeding my advice, and then suffering. Post nothing on the Internet that you don't want to be available for all time, because it will surely last longer than you breathe.

Last edited:
I am amazed by the crap people feel it's OK to post for the world to see. I rarely, if ever, post stuff. I read what friends are doing, play a game or two and that's it. You have control over the info you share. Don't be stupid.

Prespective and your present employers are now checking FB to see what you post about yourself and others. Some folks have lost their jobs because of what they have posted for all the world to see. Also law enforement to see if you have bragged about any crimes you may have commited or know of someone else who has done. Be careful.

Last edited:
Steve and I are very security conscious too :)

We dont post personal info or photos of ourselves online now as it is just too risky we feel

Last edited:
I also have DC listed as a like on there but I never see any posts from here!

Go post on the Discuss Cooking FB page! I'd love to see some new posts over there

I am amazed by the crap people feel it's OK to post for the world to see. I rarely, if ever, post stuff. I read what friends are doing, play a game or two and that's it. You have control over the info you share. Don't be stupid.

I keep up with family and friends and play games too Andy. I'm of much the same opinion as you seem to be. Use your brain and don't post too much stuff about yourself. My permissions are intentionally set very high because of the population I work with. There have been many attempts by the kids I work with to "find" me on FB and guess what? They can't get in to my FB account, but they can find me on DC quite easily. Oops.

All of you who think you are so security conscious and feel that FB is too loosey goosey might want to rethink that a bit. Go over all your posts and see how much you've actually shared on here. I could find most of you pretty easily with some basic searching. (Not to scare you, but just to point this out)

Back
Top Bottom