"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Unhappy Everybody in my house is sick

Callum came down with a cold last week and passed it on to Aidan, now dh & I both have it too. I feel so irritated and on edge. Aidan is just making me crazy! Callum has a lingering cough but is fine for the most part. Aidan was feverish and lethargic a couple days ago before I go sick, now he is just plain whiney. Everything, even something simple like needing to use the bathroom, has turned into a 10 minute whining cry. I can't even understand what he's saying. He woke up 2 hours early and woke up his brother to boot. On top of all this, dh is working 120 hours this week. No, you didn't misread and it isn't a mistake, 120 hours! And only 24 of these hours have we gone through. Ryan just left for a 48 hour shift, has Friday off, then back for another 48. I almost feel jealous that he gets to go to work. He's gonna get more rest at work than he would at home, even if I was well. Help me out here, guys. I know there are people out there who need your thoughts more than I, so I'm just asking for one. Just send one thought for me and hopefully I'll manage the rest of the week, mental health still intact.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Oh man what a rough time you must be having. I am sending you a lot more than just one thought!!! Just think, by the end of this week everyone should be healthy and things can hopefully get back to normal. You should plan to go out for a nice dinner to relax after all of this. You will need it!

Old 03-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Ouch Cora what a tough time to be going through.
Sending everyone get well wishes immediately.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Master Chef

Everything will be better!!
I know how aggravating it gets when a little one is sick and whiney. You want to just pull your hair out, or theirs LOL
I hope you all get better real fast! You don't have someone that can come and get Callum for a while so that you can take a nap while Aidan is? That sure would help.
hugs to you girl!!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #5
Master Chef

I'm sending you big hugs, but keeping my sick little one away from you! Yes, we're in a similar situation here--we're all sick, Sofie refuses to be anywhere but in my arms and DH is working a ton, but nowhere near as much as Ryan. That's why I've been on DC even less than normal. All the energy I have is spent trying to comfort Sof and remember to take care of myself too (ha!). Hang in there. The only thing keeping me going is knowing that spring is coming soon!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

sorry to hear it cora and pab. i hope the wee'uns get better soon.

just think, this will all end soon and make you really appreciate being healthy again. if you never got sick, how would you know to be happy when you weren't?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Corazon,
Know that you're NOT alone. I too am a stay home mom of 3 kids, one being a toddler who keeps me on my toes day in and day out! I'm exhausted most of the time too, have been passing the flu back and forth to and from kids and husband, Blah!, dealing with DH being away so much working over 72 hours per week (12-13 hour shifts as an RN), and still manage to stay ALIVE! Sweetie, you're not the only one in this situation. There are lots of other moms that go through this too. Know that things will be better. I know how much work it is to be home; it's a NEVER ending job but there are major rewards for it too. Your little ones are being cared for much better than if they had to be at daycare. You are able to spend that quality time with them now that they need you the most (they never stop needing us for all I know). I've been home for over 3 years. And let me tell you, it was not easy at first! I've established a routine that works for me and my family and find hobbies to keep me busy, like gardening for instance. You might even think of joining a MOPS group in your area http://www.mops.org/. You'll get to meet lots of stay at home moms and spend 3 glorious hours a couple of days a month mingling with these ladies without kids (while they're being cared for at a daycare in the same building you're in). I regret not joining any sooner but I finally did and I'm happy to be a part of a group. PM me some time and I'll be glad to chat with you and keep you company when you need it the most. Hugs to you! Prayers for a quick recovery.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Poor sick babies! Poor poor moms!!
Prayers for a speedy recovery being sent to you all.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:11 PM   #9
Master Chef

I am enduring the worst case of stomach flu I've ever had. I got it Monday and today is the first day I could even think about turning on the computer, but I am still in bed and haven't eaten anything but jello.

I got it from a friend. At her 40th b-day party. Apparantly her youngest child brought it back from the health club's day care center on Saturday. Sat. night he unwittingly infected party guests, siblings and his dad. The day after her party, my friend was nursing her own hangover AND the non-stop barfing of hubby and all three kids.

Cora, here's hoping a Day of Beauty comes your way, soon ...
Old 03-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I'd give all of you some of my homemade chicken noodle soup if I could.

I know exactly what you are going through, as I went through it last week. PeppA came home Monday night from the hospital. Apparently, her Mom is coming home sometime today. All 5 kids were down sick last week. All but one of them is better now. The oldest, Stephen, has some weird bug that just isn't affected by antibiotics. It's probably viral. He's been in-and-out of school for a week, really lethargic at home, etc.

I was lucky enough that I didn't get sick, however, with the other adults in the house in the hospital, I had to call off work for several days. Today is the first day I get to go back to work.

From what I gather from our kid's pediatrician AND the teachers at their school, that there is just a really nasty flu bug, strep bug, and who knows what else going around the schools right now.