"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Sending you very sincere good wishes for 100% successful surgery on Monday Got Garlic, and hoping for a speedy recovery and not too uncomfortable Christmas.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #12
Executive Chef

This may sound crazy, considering I spend all day in a kitchen, but, nothing soothes me like cooking.

Well....bourbon works pretty well, too. I like to catch the christmas shows, too; especially The Grinch, or Santa Claus is Coming To Town.

A cup of tea and a slice of gingerbread works wonders.

Finally, one of the best things is to do something holiday-ish. Not shopping, not mailing, not baking....go see or do something holiday related. Take a ride in the car to look at people's christmas lights. Get a cup of hot chocolate afterwards..(and put some bourbon in it)

I don't think people are more stressed, I just think people are stressed, in general. You absolutely have to find the humor in a situation or you'll pop an artery.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #13
Master Chef

All I can say, Thank G-d Holidays are over. Now I'm looking forward for some rest and some decompration. This year i out did my self and am extremely tired. So tired that I couldn't even get in the middle of arguing about the "went".
Old 12-13-2007, 03:00 AM   #14
Senior Cook

As there's no young children in our family anymore we stopped giving gifts to each other a couple of years ago and it made a huge difference in stress levels! Now it's just a normal lunch outside on Xmas day and everyone brings something so that the hostess doesn't have to work too hard. I live in a big suburb by the sea which goes crazy every December as the whole of the country seems to want to spend their summer holidays here so even going to the mall for groceries is a very stressful experience. So this year after Xmas we're going camping inland in a little village surrounded by wine farms and we'll leave the seaside for the visitors !
Old 12-13-2007, 06:13 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Hello Alix

I am a very laid back holiday person. Certainly not a stressful time for me. I get very excited about all Christmassy things.
When I used to live in Ireland shopping at this time of the year was very stressful because the streets and shops were so crowded and the shop assistants so grumpy. Here in Germany Christmas is a more sedate affair so no stress here.

Mel
Old 12-13-2007, 02:09 PM   #16
Head Chef

I'm stressed. I admit it. Too much going on, too little time, and then throw in other stuff too.

I'm just trying to keep my head down, stay quiet, and hope things settle down after Christmas.

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
This year is a bit odd for me. Normally I would have been running full tilt toward the holidays for some time now. This year, I'm taking it easy and because of that I am noticing what I suspect is a lot of stress about the season in other folks.

What I mean is people seem to be grumping and battling about the oddest things lately. About some phrase that struck someone the wrong way, or about whether or not an electric oven has a heat vent.

Wow. Am I out to lunch here? Does that happen all the time and I'm just noticing now? Anyone notice this stuff too?

Anyone have any good ideas about how to decompress from the stress of the season?
I had to turn this over a few times before, or if, I replied. Re Evidence of Stress referring to the Board, & asking/recommending people decompress & suggestions? Stating does this happen all the time or have you been out to lunch & just noticing now? ...And a phrase that struck someone the wrong way. As you know, there are uncalled for remarks here from time to time. One can dismiss it or try to address it in an appropriate manner.

If you are asking for suggestions for Holiday relief that you don't need, I am not clear as to the reason message you are putting out here. There is a venting thread if someone needs one.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #18
Everymom

Amy, if you're confused, feel free to ignore this thread. And anything I feel needs to be addressed in a PM is done so let me assure you. Clearly not all my threads please you, and thats just fine. You don't need to participate in any of them if you don't want to. Thats the beauty of this place, you can pick and choose what you read and write. This thread has nothing to do with my Admin status here, it is about an observation about things I have seen lately. (Does everything I write need to be about being an Admin? YIKES am I in trouble!!)And for the record, only one of the points I mentioned was here at DC, the other was somewhere else entirely. Does that matter? Evidence is evidence. And I was questioning whether those were indeed evidence of holiday stress. I also posted so that we can all share ideas on how to decompress. One of the things I love about this place is that we share things that help us and we learn from one another every day. I think learning to acknowledge things about yourself (like, "do the holidays stress me out?") and finding ways to deal with stress are both important, don't you?

Hope that helps clarify whatever was confusing you. (Oops, I see you have edited some of your post. Still, I hope I covered what you didn't understand)

Ronjohn, good plan buddy, my thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.
Mel, I'm a Christmas junkie too. I love to look at the lights and sing at the top of my lungs while baking etc.
Vera, cooking is the great balm isn't it? I love to walk and look at lights too, we haven't done that yet this year, I think we need to book a time for it soon.
GotGarlic, hope it goes as well for you as it did for me. I hope you heal quick as a wink and are ready to power down all the Christmas treats you can hold. I'll fire off a PM to you as some of the stuff is not fit for public reading. LOL.
Those of you who suggest early shopping etc, very good idea.

Love all I have read so far and hope we all keep sharing. My personal remedy for getting in the spirit, or decompressing is to go to a Christmas concert or two and see those bright shining little kid faces just filled with joy and hope. That does more for me than most anything.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:27 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I like that beth. Great ideas. We don't send gifts to the extended family either. The last few years I've been scaling back so that I am just giving to Ken and the girls and whoever is here to open gifts Christmas morning. And we are NOT extravagant either. My biggest spending goes into the stockings. (And do you know...I can't find any Silly String this year dang it all!)
I'm ready to hit the bottlemyself...

Since there are a couple of threads on this subject, I think it's a safe bet that many are stressed, but here
let me ease yours a little..........
Old 12-14-2007, 12:01 PM   #20
Everymom

Lefse my friend, you ROCK! I wonder if it would arrive in time??