"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 12-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
Evidence of Holiday Stress? Decompression ideas?

This year is a bit odd for me. Normally I would have been running full tilt toward the holidays for some time now. This year, I'm taking it easy and because of that I am noticing what I suspect is a lot of stress about the season in other folks.

What I mean is people seem to be grumping and battling about the oddest things lately. About some phrase that struck someone the wrong way, or about whether or not an electric oven has a heat vent.

Wow. Am I out to lunch here? Does that happen all the time and I'm just noticing now? Anyone notice this stuff too?

Anyone have any good ideas about how to decompress from the stress of the season?

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
Executive Chef
The biggest stress reducer I have accomplished is how I handle Christmas purchases. I used to put hugh demands on myself to make most of the presents I gave. About five years ago, I completely not only stopped that, but I purchase/make no presents anymore for the extended family. Dh and I make a donation to Heifer International and the relatives receive their nice cards explaining that a donation was made in their name. The families love that they do not receive yet one more gift, and that money was given in a meaningful way.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
I like that beth. Great ideas. We don't send gifts to the extended family either. The last few years I've been scaling back so that I am just giving to Ken and the girls and whoever is here to open gifts Christmas morning. And we are NOT extravagant either. My biggest spending goes into the stockings. (And do you know...I can't find any Silly String this year dang it all!)
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I do the same thing, I get stressed because I try to make all my gifts (cook, knit, crochet, cross-stitch) and never manage to get it all done, then get upset because I ended up getting nothing for someone.
Anyway when I start getting all worked up, I just take a break, and go into the kids rooms to play toys with them. They're really what it's all about anyway isn't it?
Got no little kids? Buy yourself some legos! They work wonders!
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
Sous Chef
Beth - Heifer International is a great organization.

One by one, we can all make a difference.
simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
Executive Chef
Anyone have any good ideas about how to decompress from the stress of the season?
I'm seeing a lot of it with my staff. And, they are all getting sick. Here's what I do:

Try to eat properly. Between business lunches, suppers, parties, it's easy not to eat a balanced diet. I've bowed out of most of the lunches etc this year.

Get enough sleep. If I don't get my regular beauty sleep I get very cranky.

Make time for myself. I could have made some mini quiches last night, or more pecan balls, or put up more decorations. But, I didn't feel like doing that, instead I opted to read a great book. Everyone needs time out. The sky will not fall on my head if they don't get their quiches.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
I've always been at full steam during the holidays, had the shopping done by thanksgiving and the tree up the next day..Falling ill the way I did really changed this years Christmas festivities...I don't have a lot of time to run about shopping now, so a lot is done on line..The little ones are my top priority and I do have all their things here and am wrapping them. My own children are getting gift cards and one other thing under the tree. The focus this year is some good food and just being together..Had they not insisted I get help several months ago, who knows what this Christmas would be like..So, for me the gifts, are my family and the love they bring..From now on, the family together will be all we really need. Anything else will be an extra..
And if you need a great stress reliever, have your 7 year old grandson to spend the day and night with you and make chocolate chip,M&M cookies
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
Sous Chef
Illness is not something we would choose but it's a great way of putting a different set of lenses on our perspective on things isn't it.
I found this verse in a book I was reading and it helps (me) to put things into perspective.
Let There Be Light
From the point
From which all life flows
It flows to me. My part is to accept this life
As a manifestation of God on earth.
It is I
Who brings light and love
Into this existence.
No angelic being can do it for me.
Yes, heartily do I accept
This responsibility!
The God in me.
From “ The Essene Book of Meditations and blessings”
csalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
Head Chef
Now that there are the two of us we try to take the holidays easy.

We purchase gifts throughout the year. No we are not organized, just learned many years ago to hate the pressure of Christmas.

The second year we were married, after we had gone crazy shopping the first Christmas season we were married, I decided we were going to buy everything for everyone the day after Thanksgiving.

We came close and it made the season so much calmer.

And now we purchase a lot on the net. Hate the crowding of the stores.

We now do as little or as much as we feel like at Christmas.

It makes the season a lot happier.
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
When we first bought our house, we went all out at Christmas, decorating inside and out, going shopping, sending cards, having parties, etc., etc. Now it depends more on whether we have an exchange student with us or not (we host every other year). We don't have one this year, so I volunteered as a hostess for our civic league's holiday home tour and loaned a lot of my decorations to the young couple who opened their house, made a casserole for the potluck after the tour, and put a Christmas flag and wreath on the porch. That's about it

Health issues are a problem, too. I was very sick earlier this year; when I got better, DH had shoulder surgery; now I'm scheduled to have my gallbladder removed on Monday. So I'm doing my shopping online and not getting too worked up over whatever doesn't get done.

Glad to hear yours went well, Alix. Because of previous surgeries, I'm probably looking at a month at home, but I'm thankful I have good health insurance and I'm looking forward to starting a class at the local university in January. And I'm thinking Katie and Buck's Christmas morning bourbon and ginger ale is looking better and better although I'll probably go for rum and Coke with grenadine, assuming the doctor says it's ok.

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote