Exercise Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Does anyone have a exercise ball? Do they really make a difference? I see them so often when looking in the magazines. They all show the exercises you all have explained to me but they are using the ball too. It really looks odd. They use it to sit on. It may have something to do with balance rather than the exercise. do you think it is worth the investment?

I have one and YES it helps. It helps relieve the stress on your back a lot!
I won't excersise again without mine. It helps stretch your back with some excersises too and it feels wonderful. When you buy one, mine had a pamphlet with excersises in it.
Don't get a cheapy though, it's worth the money to spend a little more. Mine was $20.

Again!

texas, you always come through and you are on the ball? I trust what you advise and will do as you suggest. Knowing someone has had experience makes big difference. I know even my chiropractor told me to get one. Just becoming familiar with the exercises is the big challenge. Guess you weren't sure in beginning either. If it does all you say I will be happy to have it. Thank you for always responding so quickly as I tend to forget if someone doesn't answer. Does that say something about my life? I know tend to get to much on my plate but have no choice. Family needs are priority but exercise is also personally important. Be thankful you take the time to do it. Just don't feel guilty like I do. Not fair.

I don't use it as much as I need to.:angel:
It doesn't take long at all to get used to it. They are big enough that balance isn't really a problem after being on for a few minutes. You get to where you know how and where to sit just right on it.
Good luck with it, I know you'll love it. Makes excersising a lot easier and it still does the muscles like it's suppose to.

computer desk

Charlotte said:
I love mine and I use it mostly at the computer desk, it's perfect and I can sit for hours and hours!
Charlotte you use this for a chair at the computer desk? Doesn't your back give out with no support? Do you use for exercise too?

In the Kitchen said:
Charlotte you use this for a chair at the computer desk? Doesn't your back give out with no support? Do you use for exercise too?

ITK, I use mine like a chair, too. Surprisingly it gives you a lot of support. It somehow just straightens your spine naturally. It's actually impossible to sit on it slouched (you feel like you'll roll off). It's really gentle on your lower back and tail bone, too, since you sort of sink into it a bit (just don't inflate it to where it's really hard and firm). I've been having a lot of lower back pain with my pregnancy and this is about the only thing that's comfortable for me to sit on anymore!

Do you believe this?

I went to the dentist today and figured I would take the magazine to read while I waited. The hygienist asked to look at it. When she seemed interested I told her she could have it. She seemed surprised but such nice person I gave it to her. I did want to see the exercises with the ball. I guess I can buy another one. It made me seem kind of strange when she wanted to look at it. Sometimes I wonder what world I am in. anyway I know now I will get one after everyone here likes theirs. Does anyone else do this kind of stuff? Give away and then wish you wouldn't?

At my old job, we had a few to use as chairs. I got one to work out with. It does help a lot. It helps get areas that are really hard to get (like the lower abs). I don't use it anymore because I don't have room for it.

Thanks

PA Baker said:
ITK, I use mine like a chair, too. Surprisingly it gives you a lot of support. It somehow just straightens your spine naturally. It's actually impossible to sit on it slouched (you feel like you'll roll off). It's really gentle on your lower back and tail bone, too, since you sort of sink into it a bit (just don't inflate it to where it's really hard and firm). I've been having a lot of lower back pain with my pregnancy and this is about the only thing that's comfortable for me to sit on anymore!
After reading what you say, a person would be stupid not to get one. It is just that I have not seen them in the past and guess something new. Being pregnant you need all teh help you can get. I am happy that you found something to help. Thanks for sharing. I don't have to worry about having them pop like balloon? Do you have to buy an air tank too? Or don't they lose air? Do I sound ignorant, I am.

Do I sound ignorant, I am

itk, asking questions about something you don't know
does NOT mean nor does it make you sound ignorant !

Way I Feel

middie thanks but at times that is the way I feel just plain ignorant. I blame it on myself for allowing people to make me feel that way. Being married to someone for 25years who tells you you are only made it worse. I do ask q uestions more so than when he was here. I know he resented the fact that I even breathed. I know he still does. I listen to Laura Slesinger on the radio. Ever hear of her? Boy, she tells it like it is and doesn't care what anyone thinks about it. She also says she doesn't think about exercising only does it automatically. T hat is what I am going to do not even think about it just do it! Right?

i swear im not trying to be vulgar here...but i love my exercise ball, its great on the back and gets you off the floor...but i MUST use the thing completely naked!! if i even have boxers on..i get these terrible weggies from even the slightest change of the ball beneath me.

Proper Way!

Have you asked someone about it? Maybe it does work better when you are naked. Sounds logical. Guess whatever works for you is what they always tell me. I will let you know if I have any problems when I get mine. I am just people here know about them.

In the Kitchen said:
I don't have to worry about having them pop like balloon? Do you have to buy an air tank too? Or don't they lose air? Do I sound ignorant, I am.

ITK, never worry about asking questions. We're all here to help each other! :)

You don't have to worry about it popping. They're made from very sturdy rubber. We've had two (gave one to a friend and then got another when I started needing it with being pregnant) and both came with little manual air pumps. Just check the box before you get it. If it doesn't you can probably use a basic bicycle pump. They don't come inflated so you will need to pump it up (and you sure don't want to do it with your lungs!:) ) and every once in awhile you may need to add a little air, depending how often you use it.

DH used to have trouble staying on it (there were a couple times I thought for sure he was going to roll right off the back of the thing!) but then we deflated it a little and now he doesn't slide around at all. It's the right height for him to get good leverage with his feet and leg muscles (and he doesn't use it naked!:ROFLMAO: ).

Coincidentally, I got one on Monday (10/10). I just have been doing a few basic exercises with it for my back and shoulders. I have noticed a real improvement in how much better my back feels. I never thought of using it as a chair though. I will have to give it a try.

OMG i love my excerise ball! I havent used it in a while but at one point i did have nice abs from using it. I have a minor back problem (my spine curves a bit) and my doctor had told me to use that to correct it. its working! lol I also use the ab slide. i totally recommend both of them!

ab slide

Is that something you use with the ball? Anything that helps with the waistline is worth it. Situps are good too. At least that is what everybody says.

Back
Top Bottom