"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Thanks everyone and thanks sattie for letting me know that crunches won't do anything for the weight. OK I guess I am going to have to actually use the treadmill instead of hanging my clothes on it.
GB... it will in a general sense because you are working out. Even your crunches will have an overall effect because working your muscles which burns calories. The point I was trying to make is that doing the crunches to burn mid section weight will not give you the results that one would hope for. I think it is great that you are doing this, I want to see progress photos!!!!

Old 11-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #12
Everymom

What sattie said. If you have a "trouble area" the only way to get rid of it is to use more calories up. Go for lots of walks with the stroller and do portion control. (Sucky but it works)

If you want to tone your abs, I suggest the leg thing too.

Lie flat on your back and place your hands palm down under your butt. Keeping your knees straight raise your legs perpendicular to the floor. Sloooowly lower your legs until you feel your abs activate, hold the position for several breaths and then slowly keep lowering your legs to the floor. Major ow, but great for your abs.

Another lovely one is the "boat pose" in yoga. Sit with bent knees and reach out with your hands so your arms are beside your bent knees. Start to lean back until you feel your abs activate. Hold that position. Concentrate on keeping your back straight. Then slowly, lift one foot off the floor, then the other. You will then be in a "V" sit with your hands still stretched out (for balance). Keeping your balance requires a fair degree of ab strength and concentration. If you are having a tough time, just lift one leg til you have developed a little better strength and balance.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #13
Master Chef

Alix mentioned "portion control" which I really think is key to reaching your target weight and maintaining it. I hate to refer to it as diet. With portion control, you still get to enjoy all the things you love to eat, just eat less of it. One trick I use (specially if it is somthing really yummy) like pasta with alfredo sauce, is to only make enoug for one serving for yourself. That way when you have had your serving, there is no going back for seconds. I have found this to be very effective way of controlling the amount of food you intake.

Edited to say: I agree with the leg lifts... excellent core toning exercise!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
GB, The advice from Fisher's Mom, bowlingshirt and sattie it is right on.
You can do crunches to death, but without aerobic activity they will never show up due to the layer of adipose tissue covering the muscle.
A simple guideline is to do aerobic excercise for 20/30 min. daily, or alternate the days of aerobic with muscle building sessions.
To determine if you are making aerobic excercise, check your hear rate while in the threadmill per the following formula: Aerobic Heart Rate > (220-Your age) * 0.80
If your rate is well below this, you need to increase the pace to burn serious calories.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
With portion control, you still get to enjoy all the things you love to eat, just eat less of it.
You really only need to do that with junk food...keep eating all the healthy food you want. If you try to cut back on everything, you will have hunger pains, and will more than likely start to snack on something not too good for you.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #16
Everymom

Sattie, you tried the "boat pose" I described? Its nearly as good as the leg lifts! It targets a different set of abs (higher than the leg lift ones) and is KILLER.

Let me know if you try these GB, I'd be interested in your assessment of them. These are an everyday kind of thing too, no need to take breaks from them. Oh, and an FYI, you will be cursing my name two days after you do these. Heeheehee.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Sattie, you tried the "boat pose" I described? Its nearly as good as the leg lifts! It targets a different set of abs (higher than the leg lift ones) and is KILLER.
Yes ma'am I have! Along with some others out there! LOL! What I like about the boat pose is the fact that it makes you use your stablizers, using more of he muscles in your abdomen. Plus you can do these anywhere!! Like while watching tv!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #18
Everymom

OK, you are better than me if you can do ANYTHING while doing that pose!! LOL, its all I can do to maintain without crashing!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Alix, that's one of the yoga poses I do everyday and you're right, it is killer. As many years as I've been doing it, if I miss a few days, I really feel it when I start again. I used to have trouble with my back years ago until I started doing yoga for that very reason and it made the back troubles disappear.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:32 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

OK I have some things to work on I guess. You guys are awesome. thanks for all the help.