Exercise Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alix... Nahhhh, not better, I just like to use idle time for exercise. Watching TV seems to be a perfect time to do floor type exercises than the hold-the-couch-down technique. Even at work, if I am sitting on a conference call, I keep weights and a band handy and work triceps, biceps, and what ever else I can dream up (without looking like a total moron as folks walk by my cube) while listening on the phone. I say take advantage of every moment!

I hope for the best for you GB! I would say "good luck", but I don't believe in it, so I bid you good exercising!

Thanks to all the great recipes I have found on DC, my gut has grown much larger than I am willing to accept. I have started doing scrunches to work off the fat and tone up my stomach. I am an exercise idiot though so here is my question.

Should I take a break between days of doing scrunches? Can I do them 6 or 7 days a week or should I do something more like Mon, Wed, Fri?

If you have fat on your stomach, all the crunches/exercise to that area in the world wont get rid of the fat there. You cant "spot reduce" You need to go on a reduced fat and calorie diet, eliminating almost all refined carbs and increasing your lean protein, along with doing cardio and strength training, and you will lose fat from all over. Chances are if your gut has gotten bigger, you have also put on fat elsewhere too.

Chances are if your gut has gotten bigger, you have also put on fat elsewhere too.
The only areas I want to lose from are my face and gut. I actually spent years trying to gain weight. All my other areas are fine. It is really just my gut that needs to shrink.

If you have fat on your stomach, all the crunches/exercise to that area in the world wont get rid of the fat there. You cant "spot reduce" You need to go on a reduced fat and calorie diet, eliminating almost all refined carbs and increasing your lean protein, along with doing cardio and strength training, and you will lose fat from all over. Chances are if your gut has gotten bigger, you have also put on fat elsewhere too.

That is an absolute nonsense. I don’t know where you get your information. Yes diet might help, but exercising regularly, not even exercising, but simply walking couple-three miles a day would help a lot.
The more you exercise is the better, but even 3-4 times a week is a huge plus. Most of our weight problem comes from being inactive. When I did not have car and had to walk a lot I was size 30 now, well it doesn’t matter what size I am now, but I am not 30 any more. And I eat much less today compare to what I used to eat then.

When I was going to the gym, my trainer told me that abs are the hardest thing to work on. She also said that they are the one muscle group that does not need days off, you can work them everyday unlike your arms, legs, and back.
Speaking of backs, if you work your back muscles too, they can help in improving your abs by giving you better, stronger posture.

i know is really really old but have u tried tae boe (sp)? - i actually did this and omg it actually worked :D...i'd like to see u ask if u should do that everyday LOL...i think i tried it again for the 2nd time a long after the first...and OMG...it worked....EVERYTHING out :)

Perfect

How can one always try to be perfect everyday? First time in years, had Jack In the Box food. I knew I was eating something with 'empty' calories but did it taste good. It seemed more hot than other fast foods. Sometimes you just figure once won't hurt? since this thread about exercise made me think of it.

Why do you suppose when I do exercise, I am starving? I want to stop this hunger not have it increase. I just cannot satisfiy this hungry feeling when I get back from workout. Could I be overdoing it?

all you comments are of benefit to me. Rather than doing same 'old' ones try something differenet. Do you have music on when you exercise? Sure helps.

ITK... not exactly sure why you would be starving when you exercise, but that might be a good sign because it could mean that you are forcing your body to burn reserved calories as opposed to ones that you digested recently. I would have to find my facts, but I did hear that it was good for your body to get that 'hungry' feeling. That is causes your body to operate in a different mode... like I said, I would have to validate that since I have not read or investigated that claim myself.

Changing up the exercise routine does help and keeps it all fresh. Along with the running I do, I recently started back to doing Jazzercise 3 times a week and I LOVE it!!! Such a nice change from pounding the pavement running around in circles!

GB - I could hook you up with my ex - he made me do 2,000 crunches a day in various states of "slant" - he's a real "gem". :mad:

GB:

It's as simple as brisk walking. The key is to maintain an elevated matabolic rate for at least 30 minutes a day 3-4 times a week. Burn more calories than you eat and you win. The fat will leave from where it's stored, your face and gut.

If you want more, buy a rowing machine, they excercize your muscles above and below the waist and give you the most benefit for the time spent.

GB:

It's as simple as brisk walking.

That's what I do! I walk out to the fridge, walk back with a beer, do a 16oz curl, and repeat.

I can only do about six a night though, ever since I moved up from the 12oz. :-p :ROFLMAO: :-p

John

That is an absolute nonsense. I don’t know where you get your information. Yes diet might help, but exercising regularly, not even exercising, but simply walking couple-three miles a day would help a lot.
The more you exercise is the better, but even 3-4 times a week is a huge plus. Most of our weight problem comes from being inactive. When I did not have car and had to walk a lot I was size 30 now, well it doesn’t matter what size I am now, but I am not 30 any more. And I eat much less today compare to what I used to eat then.

Unfortunately most people think this way, and it's no wonder so many are so fat and overweight, and it's far from being that simple. Yes, any activity at all that you do is a benefit, but what you eat plays a great role on how you look, and you cannot pick an area of the body and train it to lose fat there.

What you weigh, and how fat you are, are 2 different things. You do not have to be overweight to have a gut. I don't think the poster said he was overweight either. How your body looks comes down mostly to body fat composition, not what you weigh. You can have multiple people with the same height and weight and look entirely different. It all depends on what your body fat percentage is. The higher percentage of your weight that is fat, versus lean muscle, the fatter you will be and look. I am sure you have seen people who look very thin and who do not weigh much, yet they may have a gut. They have too much body fat. Regardless of their weight.

So if somehow has a gut, what they weigh doesnt matter, they have excess body fat. And to get rid of that fat, a combination of proper nutrition/diet, cardio, and strength training is the only guaranteed way for fat to leave the body, while mainting lean muscle mass. The more lean muscle mass, the more fat the body burns, the better you look, the faster your metabolism. Also, age doesn't matter one bit either.

Aera, I believe Charlie was commenting on you advising GB to eliminate all refined carbs and adding lean meat in your first post. No one is arguing with your comment about getting rid of fat, only your method. While it works for you, it is by no means the ONLY way to get rid of fat. Thats all Charlie was trying to say.

We've had more threads about this topic than I can count and it always comes down to one factor, you need to burn more calories than you take in to lose weight. Period.

GB, just do something to up the activity level in your life, you can tone the abs with those exercised mentioned earlier, but the "gut" will come off when you burn those extra calories.

ITK, hunger is good. You should never eat so little that your body goes into starvation mode. The key to losing weight is to consume the right number of calories (from decent food choices) for your age, gender and body type and then to increase your activity. You can eat pretty much anything you want IN MODERATION! That means you can have bacon and eggs for breakfast but maybe only one slice of bacon and one boiled egg. You can have ice cream for dessert, but just one scoop instead of two. You can have Jack In The Box for lunch, but not every day. And you need to keep walking, so your body will use the calories you take in. If your body figures you need those calories, it will use them rather than storing them. If you don't put enough fuel into your body though, it will try to store every tiny calorie that goes in...and then you build up those fat reserves. Does that make sense?

Actually, Charlie is on the right track here. And it's pretty much what everyone else is saying, too, but in different words. Maintaining optimum body weight is one issue. Spot toning and body sculpting specific areas is another. Keeping our muscles toned an having good balance as we age is another. Obviously, they are all connected but they are different issues.
Researchers say, as Charlie says, that there is no substitute for regular exercise to have and maintain a healthy body. Walking, even in 15 minutes increments, seems to have a profoundly positive effect on our weight and health. Sedentary lifestyles contribute heavily to poor health and weight issues. Everything we do beyond that is wonderful and a very good thing, but is not a substitute. You can have a wonderfully healthy diet but if you are sedentary, your body will not function as well as it should.

Sorry if I gave the impression that anyone should be inactive, in fact in both responses i stated doing cardio and weight training, that is far from being sedentary. And this must also be done at least 4 days a week in most cases. How much and what you eat is just as important. What I talk about is very specific and much more complicated then I can explain. But all anyone has to do is a google search on the phrases "body fat" or "belly fat" "abs" etc, and what you will find are numerous sites dedicated to true fitness and not just someone losing weight and dropping numbers on a scale where they basically become a smaller version of their fat selves. Meaning, they will weigh less, yes. But they will still be fat and out of shape.

Aera, you were not misunderstood at all. We are all agreeing with you. All of us. We are using different words, and giving many ideas, but we are all in agreement.

We just don't all think cardio training, weight training etc are the only ways to get fit. Its that whole "gym" sound in your posts that folks are sounding like they are rebelling against. We're offering different options, but with the same basic premise. You can get plenty fit and healthy without going near a gym. Does that make sense? Make no mistake though, we agree with what you are saying.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom