"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #21
Master Chef

Alix... Nahhhh, not better, I just like to use idle time for exercise. Watching TV seems to be a perfect time to do floor type exercises than the hold-the-couch-down technique. Even at work, if I am sitting on a conference call, I keep weights and a band handy and work triceps, biceps, and what ever else I can dream up (without looking like a total moron as folks walk by my cube) while listening on the phone. I say take advantage of every moment!

I hope for the best for you GB! I would say "good luck", but I don't believe in it, so I bid you good exercising!

Old 11-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #22
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
I hope for the best for you GB! I would say "good luck", but I don't believe in it, so I bid you good exercising!
We don't use that phrase either, instead we wish folks "good choices!"

Old 11-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Thanks to all the great recipes I have found on DC, my gut has grown much larger than I am willing to accept. I have started doing scrunches to work off the fat and tone up my stomach. I am an exercise idiot though so here is my question.

Should I take a break between days of doing scrunches? Can I do them 6 or 7 days a week or should I do something more like Mon, Wed, Fri?

If you have fat on your stomach, all the crunches/exercise to that area in the world wont get rid of the fat there. You cant "spot reduce" You need to go on a reduced fat and calorie diet, eliminating almost all refined carbs and increasing your lean protein, along with doing cardio and strength training, and you will lose fat from all over. Chances are if your gut has gotten bigger, you have also put on fat elsewhere too.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aera View Post
Chances are if your gut has gotten bigger, you have also put on fat elsewhere too.
The only areas I want to lose from are my face and gut. I actually spent years trying to gain weight. All my other areas are fine. It is really just my gut that needs to shrink.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:58 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aera View Post
If you have fat on your stomach, all the crunches/exercise to that area in the world wont get rid of the fat there. You cant "spot reduce" You need to go on a reduced fat and calorie diet, eliminating almost all refined carbs and increasing your lean protein, along with doing cardio and strength training, and you will lose fat from all over. Chances are if your gut has gotten bigger, you have also put on fat elsewhere too.

That is an absolute nonsense. I donít know where you get your information. Yes diet might help, but exercising regularly, not even exercising, but simply walking couple-three miles a day would help a lot.
The more you exercise is the better, but even 3-4 times a week is a huge plus. Most of our weight problem comes from being inactive. When I did not have car and had to walk a lot I was size 30 now, well it doesnít matter what size I am now, but I am not 30 any more. And I eat much less today compare to what I used to eat then.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #26
Head Chef

When I was going to the gym, my trainer told me that abs are the hardest thing to work on. She also said that they are the one muscle group that does not need days off, you can work them everyday unlike your arms, legs, and back.
Speaking of backs, if you work your back muscles too, they can help in improving your abs by giving you better, stronger posture.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:15 AM   #27
Sous Chef

i know is really really old but have u tried tae boe (sp)? - i actually did this and omg it actually worked :D...i'd like to see u ask if u should do that everyday LOL...i think i tried it again for the 2nd time a long after the first...and OMG...it worked....EVERYTHING out :)
Old 11-02-2007, 07:29 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Perfect

How can one always try to be perfect everyday? First time in years, had Jack In the Box food. I knew I was eating something with 'empty' calories but did it taste good. It seemed more hot than other fast foods. Sometimes you just figure once won't hurt? since this thread about exercise made me think of it.

Why do you suppose when I do exercise, I am starving? I want to stop this hunger not have it increase. I just cannot satisfiy this hungry feeling when I get back from workout. Could I be overdoing it?

all you comments are of benefit to me. Rather than doing same 'old' ones try something differenet. Do you have music on when you exercise? Sure helps.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #29
Master Chef

ITK... not exactly sure why you would be starving when you exercise, but that might be a good sign because it could mean that you are forcing your body to burn reserved calories as opposed to ones that you digested recently. I would have to find my facts, but I did hear that it was good for your body to get that 'hungry' feeling. That is causes your body to operate in a different mode... like I said, I would have to validate that since I have not read or investigated that claim myself.

Changing up the exercise routine does help and keeps it all fresh. Along with the running I do, I recently started back to doing Jazzercise 3 times a week and I LOVE it!!! Such a nice change from pounding the pavement running around in circles!
Old 11-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
GB - I could hook you up with my ex - he made me do 2,000 crunches a day in various states of "slant" - he's a real "gem".

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote