"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Exercise Question

Thanks to all the great recipes I have found on DC, my gut has grown much larger than I am willing to accept. I have started doing scrunches to work off the fat and tone up my stomach. I am an exercise idiot though so here is my question.

Should I take a break between days of doing scrunches? Can I do them 6 or 7 days a week or should I do something more like Mon, Wed, Fri?

Old 11-01-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Exercise? What is that? hehehe

I would start out by alternating days and when you feel ready you can move on to everyday.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Know?

You know Jack La Lanne? He has been exercise guru since before I was born. He exercises to this day, everyday and he is in his 90's. Saw him recently on show and still moving. I truly feel everyone in this time has to exercise as much as he can. Never can overdo it. Just time won't allow for it. Every book I have read, the good ones, recommend something everyday. Even if it is only `10 minutes, something to make you move in way of exercise. Just don't stay on the couch too long. Good luck!
Old 11-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
Hospitality Queen

GB, check the "weigh in" thread from early-mid of '05 or maybe the accountability thread Kyles started around that time. I remember posting some easy (but very effective) techniques you don't need a gym for.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I'm no expert either, but it's my understanding that to build muscle bulk, you let your muscles "rest" a day between working them heavily. But to lose fat and create long, lean muscle, you can work them every day.

One note of caution, start out very conservatively on the crunches if you haven't exercised in a while, have a fairly big belly or have a sedentary job. The stomach muscles support the back so keeping your abs in top condition is essential for a strong and healthy back. But, if you don't build your abs reasonably slowly, you can easily pull or strain a muscle in your back and then exercise becomes impossible for a while.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I'm no expert either, but it's my understanding that to build muscle bulk, you let your muscles "rest" a day between working them heavily. But to lose fat and create long, lean muscle, you can work them every day.
Building bulky muscles essentially requires that you damage your muscle tissue thru weightlifting...that's why you have to let your muscles rest a day or so between workouts, so the muscle tissue can heal itself. (The pros who workout 5 or 6 times a week actually workout different muscle groups with each workout).

Anyway, do whatever your body can handle. If you do ab crunches on Monday and aren't feeling sore on Tuesday, you can continue to exercise.

FWIW, Ive found inclined leg lifts to be much better at getting and maintaining a six pack than crunches.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshirt View Post

FWIW, Ive found inclined leg lifts to be much better at getting and maintaining a six pack than crunches.
How do you do those?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #8
Master Chef

GB... you can't remove fat from your body by doing spot exercising. In other words, if you have a weight around your mid section, you can do all the crunches in the world and it will not target the weight in that area. However, you are toning the muscles in that area and once the weight does start to errode off, you will get to see that muscle definition you have worked so hard for. Try to incorporate a general exercise routine that includes some cardio, be it walking or what not. I prefer to let my muscle groups rest a day before working them again. I find that I get better results and nice lean muscles which I think is much nicer looking then the bulked up look. I got lots more tips if you are interested, just shoot me a PM!
Old 11-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
How do you do those?
Incline the back of your bench and lay down on it. Then reach your arms up over your head and grab onto the bench frame. Keeping your legs together and your knees straight, lift you legs up high in the air. Repeat.

If you don't have a bench, you can lay down on the floor with your arms at your side and try it, too.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks everyone and thanks sattie for letting me know that crunches won't do anything for the weight. OK I guess I am going to have to actually use the treadmill instead of hanging my clothes on it.