Exercise: Where do you draw the line?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Now, I didn't know whether to place this here or in the health & nutrition line, so if it is moved, that's OK.

For those of you who exercise on a regular basis, where do you draw the line?

For example, today I got up to go to my 3X/wk exercise class. The class is at 9 and it is located 3 miles away. I wasn't sure if I was going to have to de-ice the windshield, so I left the house early (it is 22 steps to the street, then I have to walk up the road to get to the truck). I realized very soon that it was an ice skating rink out there. It took me 20 min to get down to the point where I realized it was too dangerous to walk further, then to get back to my front door (normally takes a minute, if that). So ... I wimped out. Stayed home. But I felt guilty for missing the class. Well, that is until I talked to my mail carrier and she said she'd fallen twice this morning. Ouch.

Other issues are colds, intestinal distress (if you know what I mean), etc. At what point to you forgo a workout and not feel guilty about it?

You're asking the right person. I am the world's expert on foregoing exercise and not feeling guilty. I do it all the time. :angel:

All kidding aside, keep in mind exercising regularly is something you do for yourself. At no time is is worth exposing yourself to dangerous situations.

Exercise will be there tomorrow. If you go the next day or even two days later, you don't have to start over. You can pick up where you left off. If things are bad enough that you are thinking about whether or not you should, you shouldn't.

Nothing bad will happen if you skip a day.

Claire, I laughed out loud reading your post and then Andy's. I'm with Andy, I never feel guilty for foregoing exercise. I attend my yoga classes without missing many, but other than that, my exercise is running up and down the stairs to do laundry etc. Its too danged cold and slippery for me to try to find a gym or whatever. Walking the dog is also a priority. The dog doesn't get walked if our nosehairs freeze the second we step outside,(about -30C) but otherwise he gets at least one good walk a day.

Alternative to Exercise Routine

Return to the house. Open fridge. Find something on bottom shelf. Open cabinet. Find something on bottom shelf. Open dish cabinet and get container from the top shelf. Forego the microwave and use pans to assemble. Forego the electric can opener and use the handcrank. You get the idea. Skip the dishwasher...clean the never-used container and serve whatever you made.

After all of that bending and stretching and twisting, reward yourself with hot coco to sip with zen-like inner peace. Add marshmellows until guilt is gone. :chef:

~Kathleen

I always get that feeling of guilt whenever I skip for whatever reason. I can never have a gym membership, for instance, because I can never go somewhere to exercise.
I love the fact that I can go run or cycle right out of my front door.

If you have to miss a trip to the gym, just do some things at home. Plenty of exercises you can do with just your body weight!

Return to the house. Open fridge. Find something on bottom shelf. Open cabinet. Find something on bottom shelf. Open dish cabinet and get container from the top shelf. Forego the microwave and use pans to assemble. Forego the electric can opener and use the handcrank. You get the idea. Skip the dishwasher...clean the never-used container and serve whatever you made.

Don't most of us do most of those things anyway? :)

I joined a gym that I attend on my lunch break for just that reason. I keep dvds & a bike to do at home.

Planks, PLANKS? That is a dirty word for me! Haha! The reason I DO take exercise classes is peer pressure! I'd never even heard of a plank if I didn't take these classes. I hate them, every single form of them, and there is no way I'd do a plank at home, ever. But I don't want to be a wuss in front of my friends! Seriously, I do have a bike, ball, and weights at home, and did do one short workout. But I find exercise at home to be incredibly boring. So for the past hmmm ... 3 decades (boy, am I getting old), whenever I move I find a class to join with people who are sympatico and when I miss classes, I'll get a ration of poop from them when I run into them. Since I moved to small town, USA (pop 3500) they are likely to call me and inquire about my health if I miss more than a week and haven't been talking vacation. So it keeps me going (and, yes, I'm likely to call one of my long-time exercise buddies if I don't see them for more than a week).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom