"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #51
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Thank you so much for all those good tips. About the only hot cereal I like is chocolate malt o meal, probaly not the healthiest. Easy lunch for me is either a cup of homemeade soup or fresh fruit. I exercise late afternoon then eat my proteins & bigger meal for supper with dh & the daughter. Keep the great ideas coming, I really do appreciate it!
Buy the regular Malt 'O Meal and add your own chocolate or cocoa, then you can control the sugar content. And you can add other things to the Malt 'O Meal like the fruit I mentioned. You can even stir Greek Yogurt into it and boost your protein. Protein for breakfast helps you feel full longer and it will keep you from snacking too much.

I have also fried up sausage patties and eggs on Sunday to make egg and sausage muffins during the week. It takes two minutes to warm the sausage and egg in the microwave while you toast and butter the muffin.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thank you so much for all those good tips. About the only hot cereal I like is chocolate malt o meal, probaly not the healthiest. Easy lunch for me is either a cup of homemeade soup or fresh fruit. I exercise late afternoon then eat my proteins & bigger meal for supper with dh & the daughter. Keep the great ideas coming, I really do appreciate it!
I would like to see you start your day off with a protein. It will keep you going a lot better than just carbs. Take in both. You will also feel more filled.

How often have we all heard, "Oh, I don't eat breakfast." But walk in at 7 a.m. with a box of choclate frosted cream filled doughnuts and they will stomp on you to get to them.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Buy the regular Malt 'O Meal and add your own chocolate or cocoa, then you can control the sugar content. And you can add other things to the Malt 'O Meal like the fruit I mentioned. You can even stir Greek Yogurt into it and boost your protein. Protein for breakfast helps you feel full longer and it will keep you from snacking too much.

I have also fried up sausage patties and eggs on Sunday to make egg and sausage muffins during the week. It takes two minutes to warm the sausage and egg in the microwave while you toast and butter the muffin.
One of the benefits (if there are any) of being a diabetic, is that you learn all sorts of nifty tricks for eating.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
One of the benefits (if there are any) of being a diabetic, is that you learn all sorts of nifty tricks for eating.
Thank you everyone for sharing. It really is a mental adjustment to start eating correctly. I have just been used to eating easy, processed foods for way to long.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #55
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Thank you everyone for sharing. It really is a mental adjustment to start eating correctly. I have just been used to eating easy, processed foods for way to long.
Just trying to steer you away from Type 2 Diabetes and High Cholesterol...or even a heart attack! If we can do that for just one person, we will have done a good thing. Make the adjustments to your diet now, before you are forced to in the future, once you get that diagnosis of diabetes you can never get rid of it. But, by changing how you eat now, you may dodge that bullet and never have to go on all the medications just to keep you living.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
And educating yourself on healthy eating. You have a slew of folks here willing to help keep you on the right track. After a while smart eating becomes a way of life.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Just trying to steer you away from Type 2 Diabetes and High Cholesterol...or even a heart attack! If we can do that for just one person, we will have done a good thing. Make the adjustments to your diet now, before you are forced to in the future, once you get that diagnosis of diabetes you can never get rid of it. But, by changing how you eat now, you may dodge that bullet and never have to go on all the medications just to keep you living.
Even though I have been taken off my medication for diabetes, I am still a diabetic and always will be. The only reason I am off any medication is because I finally took the word diabetic seriously and changed my diet. Now is the time for you to do it SB. Before you have to add that word to your daily volcabulary.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #58
Master Chef

My husband was diagnosed as being diabetic (in truth, he was borderline) and really took it seriously. His doctor said if hadn't seen the tests himself he wouldn't believe it. I told him years before that he needed to aim for exercise every day rather than the 2-3x/wk he was aiming for. If you aim for daily, you'll wind up doing it at least 5x/wk. For him he goes for 30 grams of carbs for two meals, 60 for his large meal, then snacks of 15-20 in between and after dinner. It has worked for him.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Breakfast & lunch are always a challenge for me to eat healthy. I am up & out by 5:30 am. We have a small cafe/catering business so lunch is always busy. Greek yogurt & a granola bar have been working nicely around 8 am. I am always looking for quick, healthy foods to eat on the go. I would be so very happy & appreciative to hear any options you would like to share.
If you like soup, here's one: Nuke a mug of V8, the spicy one if you like some zip. Voila! Tomato soup! You can put a few veggies in it that are frozen or fresh and chopped, ready to go in the fridge or freezer to make it heartier. Or croutons. Or leftover pasta from the night before. But the V8 is a staple in our house, and it has fewer carbs/calories than canned tomato soup.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #60
Half Baked

I am going to go against the grain and tell you to avoid fruit like the plague for the next few months. Eat vitamin C every day at least 1000mg but 2-3k is great too. fruit is pure sugar and will give you spikes that you don't need. You need slow burning filling foods. That would be fibre and slow burning carbs.

I start every day almost with a slice of whole multi-grain bread. Must be whole grain! Costco has the best one I think. I spread low calorie peanut butter on it after toasting it. This is also my blood crash go-to food which I am knoshing as we speak. 76 bs is why I am up at 4am.

Stir-fried edamame with garlic and chili is a snack you can eat alot of and have little effect on your BS. You can also steam it if every calorie counts.

My conveinant luch is a cup of brown rice (the micro kind) and a can of tuna on top. A little salad and your set. I ate this everyday for months.
You can find similar things to mix it up.

Dinner is usually high in protein and small on carbs but you need your carbs. NO white rice or potatoes at all! No pasta either. At least for now.
Quinoa or whole beans or lentils worked for me. Lots of greens too!

You also need to get your body into a "state of repair" re: your muscles.
Walking is great especially if you hit some weights later. working out 2 times a day will give you 4 times the benefit. Go heavy on the weights! You won't get big! you will be sore at first but it will get easier.Heavy is what is heavy to you and numbers don't matter.

I went from a 13 fasting BS to 6.5 in 3 months doing this. The doctor said they have never seen anybody do it so fast. It worked for me but I know everyone is different.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote