Exercise, Workouts, Fitness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks to all for the fantastic tips & support. I have been exercising every day since my doctor's visit last thursday. I do the elliptical at home 35 minutes. I also go in the pool but I am not a great swimmer so I feel I don't really get my heart rate up. I feel like I am starting to walk better already with less pains in my legs especially when I get up in the morning. I am still aquireing a taste for some of the different healthy foods. I am at 285# now with my goal to get under 250# by Christmas. I really appreciate all the helpful hints on different healthy food options & exercise.

Breakfast & lunch are always a challenge for me to eat healthy. I am up & out by 5:30 am. We have a small cafe/catering business so lunch is always busy. Greek yogurt & a granola bar have been working nicely around 8 am. I am always looking for quick, healthy foods to eat on the go. I would be so very happy & appreciative to hear any options you would like to share.
You have been given a lot of great tips on how to eat better. I am usually up between 4:30 and 5:00 a.m. I used to work nights. I concur that protein is what you need in the morning. Protein, greens, and grains. I switched the time I eat my big meal to be breakfast--so what you'd eat for dinner, I will eat for breakfast, but most of the time, I eat eggs. Eggs, barley/rice/grits and steamed greens/a bit of fresh fruit. That keeps me going until late afternoon. For lunch, I force myself to eat some yogurt/fruit/broth/veggies. Supper is usually something light--veggies, some rice, a small portion of meat, maybe, or I just have some nuts and cheese. It depends on if I'm hungry or not. And, I don't snack. I don't eat desserts.

I have cut bread out of my diet for the most part. I started switching when I ate my largest meal in June. I don't own a scale--refuse to do that--but I am now digging through my "donate" box to find the size 8-10 jeans. I'm down 2-3 sizes in 3 months. And, I drink about 8-10 glasses of water with 1 tsp cider vinegar/day. No coffee, no tea, no soft drinks, no fruit juices (except freshly squeezed), no processed foods. Alcohol--oh, yeah, that's still in my diet.

Thanks to all for the fantastic tips & support. I have been exercising every day since my doctor's visit last thursday. I do the elliptical at home 35 minutes. I also go in the pool but I am not a great swimmer so I feel I don't really get my heart rate up. I feel like I am starting to walk better already with less pains in my legs especially when I get up in the morning. I am still aquireing a taste for some of the different healthy foods. I am at 285# now with my goal to get under 250# by Christmas. I really appreciate all the helpful hints on different healthy food options & exercise.

If you feel yourself getting discourage because you have hit a plateau, then come back here and we will all get you pumped up again to keep going. We are all rooting for you. :clap::clap:Go SB!!! :angel:

My best advice is to give yourself plenty time. Set small goals. Find ways to eat better that are easy, and not a drastic change at first. Add new things slowly and allow yourself to acclimate to the new diet.

Today I am going to buy some little hand weights..going to start toning up my arms :)

Starting with 1kg and working my way up ;)

Does anyone else use hand weights...if so, did you start with the 1kg as I was thinking of getting the 2kg but hubby said start from scratch

Today I am going to buy some little hand weights..going to start toning up my arms :)

Does anyone else use hand weights...if so, did you start with the 1kg as I was thinking of getting the 2kg but hubby said start from scratch
My hand weights are 1 kg. I bought them for my mom, but she didn't use them, so I brought them home. I sometimes use both of them in one hand. I lift the weights when I'm watching TV and a commercial comes on. I also use a "stretchy" band for my legs and to tone my arms (also when commercials come on). When I used to train dogs, I would suggest that folks do training exercises during commercials. I've applied that to using the weights and band.

Start with the 1 kg, do as many reps as you can with out pain or stress, when it gets easy increase the reps. If you can lift 1 kg ten times, you've lifted 10 kg. I you can lift 2 kg only 5 times, you've still lifted 10 kg. It's how many times you can repeat an action that counts, unless you lift dead weights for competition.

Thank you guys...great info there :)

I bought 2 x 1kg weights and started today doing 10 reps...I have to be very careful with my left arm though as I had a shoulder operation only 4.5 months ago and it is still very sore, still healing

Most women start with 1-3 lbs (my husband informed me of the KG/lb difference, and you're right in there). I was 23 or so years old, and the Pentagon fitness center, when a man approached me and said I have the build for weight lifting. He started me on 3 lbs, but I am tall and large boned (for a woman that is), quite muscular. Now I do some weights at 5 lbs, and others at 7.5 lbs. I have been consistently doing a little weight work ever since (that would be 1978 or so). It pays off. I have a set of sitting/lying lifts, and a set of standing lifts that I intersperse. It's only a few minutes every day or two (I also take exercise classes, and chose my weight work at home to correspond with that so I work different muscle groups on different days).

Having the upper body strength really paid off with the hip fracture and subsequent crutches.

Thank you guys...great info there :)

I bought 2 x 1kg weights and started today doing 10 reps...I have to be very careful with my left arm though as I had a shoulder operation only 4.5 months ago and it is still very sore, still healing
Good for you! Easy does it.

SB-You might want to rethink the granola bar for breakfast--there can be a lot of hidden sugar in those.
I have been reading alot of labels lately & nature valley makes a good oats & honey granola bar. There are 2 in a package & seem to be the most affordable healthy option out there in the granola department, I am always looking for something fast & healthy to eat on the run. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:)

I have been reading alot of labels lately & nature valley makes a good oats & honey granola bar. There are 2 in a package & seem to be the most affordable healthy option out there in the granola department, I am always looking for something fast & healthy to eat on the run. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:)
Not quite you mean on the run. Care to clarify that?

I woke up this morning and walked downstairs. Not thinking, just did it. I know this sounds like nothing, but I got around, did the morning routines, sat for a break, and realized that I hadn't had a hip issue for an hour or two. I was supposed to go to Pilates, my best friend,especially since the hip fracture, and decided, why question it, just enjoy it. I'll go back to my regular workout routine tomorrow morning, but an entire day pain-free, without having to decide what I should do every step? I'm a happy girl.

Claire said:
I woke up this morning and walked downstairs. Not thinking, just did it. I know this sounds like nothing, but I got around, did the morning routines, sat for a break, and realized that I hadn't had a hip issue for an hour or two. I was supposed to go to Pilates, my best friend,especially since the hip fracture, and decided, why question it, just enjoy it. I'll go back to my regular workout routine tomorrow morning, but an entire day pain-free, without having to decide what I should do every step? I'm a happy girl.

So happy to hear this, Claire! Continued speedy recovery!

Not quite you mean on the run. Care to clarify that?
More times than not I am always eating on the run: In the car, grab a couple of bites in between orders & caterings. I have been trying to grab an apple or banana or something healthy.

Back
Top Bottom