"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Master Chef

There used to be a line like this, but can't find it so will start over. As some who follow know, I fractured a hip two months ago. I'm just now starting to get back into my favorite thing, exercise classes (I like the fact that my exercise "buddies", and we live in a small town, will "miss" me when I don't show up!).

This week is my first week back into some sort of real routine that isn't just basic physical therapy. That is to say I'm taking two Pilates classes (much of which is the same as my PT), and starting a water workout class (something I've done before, just not in the decade plus since I've lived in Illinois).

What do you do to work out, what inspires you to keep it up, what brings you down?

Old 09-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Executive Chef

You know, it is possible to think you know someone better or are more familiar when looking at the title of a thread along the sidebar, this one for instance, that you can pick out it's author. I said, I bet Claire wrote this. Didn't know if it was a new or old thread though.

Glad to see you are getting back into the swing of things.

For me-- not so much. I haven't been walking as much as I like, mostly the summer was too hot, and even though I am an early riser, it is too early and it didnt' cool down until well after dark. What I diid to compensate is begin taking siestas in the afternoon. Quite the habit. Who knew naps could be so refreshing. BUT, it does nothing to increase your energy, it just means I stay up later and later.

Luckily, the last several weeks have cooled down, and I am out and getting my morning walk around the lake and a shorter walk in the evening. I also walk over to my friend's house sometimes during the day.

My bend-over type of exercise is mostly clear weeds in the garden by hand, and mostly I did that early mornings. If you water, they grow and grow back again.

I have never been much of an exercise type of guy. But it is important for me to get out everyday, and to get in Some kind of exercise.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It was too hot most of the time for bike riding and then the fire season started right up and the valley filled with smoke. Then the first month of summer that was shot out of the water by Shrek having emergency surgery. Not much exercise this summer.

I've been riding to the Farmer's market on weekends when the smoke isn't too bad. And I have the stationary recumbent bike in the living room in front of the AC. Walking season is starting, yipee!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Master Chef

I walk.

I have trouble keeping it going and I feel lousy when I don't.

I wish I could find someone to walk with but, in the past it has been more trouble than it is worth.

That's life!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I walk.

I have trouble keeping it going and I feel lousy when I don't.

I wish I could find someone to walk with but, in the past it has been more trouble than it is worth.

That's life!
That is so true. I'd rather not even bother with a walking partner most of the time.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I walk too, if DH isn't with me I put the iPhone with headphones on Pandora, music makes it go really quickly. Beagle loves the walks. With the hot summer we had, we'd wait till it cooled down in the evening. Now it's getting dark earlier, but not nearly as hot as it was.

I have a combo recumbent bike/rowing machine for when the weather doesn't cooperate. I try to get in at least 30 minutes a day.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The only way that I have dicipline is to go to the gym. I go directly after work before I come home. I go 5 days a week. Today was supposed to be a day off, but since I had a weird shift yesterday and couldn't go, I made myself go today.

I alternate between the crossramp machine, elliptical, and treadmill. I throw in a little weight training every other day. On cardio days I do one hour, on alternate days I do 40 minutes cardio and 20 minutes weight training.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Master Chef

The hardest part for me is that I love to walk to get where I'm going (less so just to walk), which I did a lot. People who have seen Galena see the hills and comment on the climbs. With what happened to me, it is downhill that kills me, not uphill. I keep thinking I'm ready to walk to town again, but ..... it'll be awhile yet. A big part of it is more fear than pain or weakness.

Yes, for many of us (even before the fall and break!), this summer has been discouraging for any kind of outdoor activity. I don't know when my area had seen 100 degrees, but it was a long, long time ago. Just doing the outdoor basics, keeping a few plants alive, much less exercising for exercise's sake, just took it out of most of us. Especially in my community, where most of us do not have central a/c. We didn't cook out, much less walk for a mile or three!

Weather now is beautiful for walking, though. I finally figured out how to work my MP3 (well, almost figured it out) so I have some music, so go out of town on occasion to find a flat parking lot to practice walking w/o a limp. This is the bane of my existence.

I commented to my PT about 2 wks after the surgery that I thought my right leg (the one that broke, with the pins) is longer. Measurements were taken and I did my own, and on the right side I've gained almost half an inch. No wonder I limp!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I really enjoy walking in the pool. It is much easier on my knees & it strengthens my legs so I can stand 10 -12 hours a day.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Well I looked into the water exercise classes at our local pool. Well, Winthrop wanted them to sign off on a bunch of rules before they would agree to pay the $30.00 yearly fee. They refused. I wasn't surprised. It really ticked me off. Right around the corner from the pool, is a fully staffed emergency room.

I can't walk too far. I have large calcium deposits on my left hip and spine near the coccyx bone. Hence the scooter. I would love to exercise. But aside from the pain, I get out of breath so easily. And then there is the chest pain. The PT department is no help. They suggested I join the group class. I have watched them. Wiggling my toes and shaking my hands is not what I have in mind. The group consists mainly of Alzheimer patients. It is designed to keep their limbs moving. As the disease progresses, the lims become stiff. I may just join the water class on my own and pay the thirty dollars. I will make them aware of my health problems. I will go at my own pace. I am open to any suggestions.