Exercise, Workouts, Fitness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
There used to be a line like this, but can't find it so will start over. As some who follow know, I fractured a hip two months ago. I'm just now starting to get back into my favorite thing, exercise classes (I like the fact that my exercise "buddies", and we live in a small town, will "miss" me when I don't show up!).

This week is my first week back into some sort of real routine that isn't just basic physical therapy. That is to say I'm taking two Pilates classes (much of which is the same as my PT), and starting a water workout class (something I've done before, just not in the decade plus since I've lived in Illinois).

What do you do to work out, what inspires you to keep it up, what brings you down?

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, it is possible to think you know someone better or are more familiar when looking at the title of a thread along the sidebar, this one for instance, that you can pick out it's author. I said, I bet Claire wrote this. Didn't know if it was a new or old thread though.

Glad to see you are getting back into the swing of things. :cool:

For me-- not so much. I haven't been walking as much as I like, mostly the summer was too hot, and even though I am an early riser, it is too early and it didnt' cool down until well after dark. What I diid to compensate is begin taking siestas in the afternoon. Quite the habit. Who knew naps could be so refreshing. BUT, it does nothing to increase your energy, it just means I stay up later and later.

Luckily, the last several weeks have cooled down, and I am out and getting my morning walk around the lake and a shorter walk in the evening. I also walk over to my friend's house sometimes during the day.

My bend-over type of exercise is mostly clear weeds in the garden by hand, and mostly I did that early mornings. If you water, they grow and grow back again.

I have never been much of an exercise type of guy. But it is important for me to get out everyday, and to get in Some kind of exercise.

It was too hot most of the time for bike riding and then the fire season started right up and the valley filled with smoke. Then the first month of summer that was shot out of the water by Shrek having emergency surgery. Not much exercise this summer.

I've been riding to the Farmer's market on weekends when the smoke isn't too bad. And I have the stationary recumbent bike in the living room in front of the AC. Walking season is starting, yipee!

I walk.

I have trouble keeping it going and I feel lousy when I don't.

I wish I could find someone to walk with but, in the past it has been more trouble than it is worth.

That's life! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I walk.

I have trouble keeping it going and I feel lousy when I don't.

I wish I could find someone to walk with but, in the past it has been more trouble than it is worth.

That's life! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

That is so true. I'd rather not even bother with a walking partner most of the time.

I walk too, if DH isn't with me I put the iPhone with headphones on Pandora, music makes it go really quickly. Beagle loves the walks. With the hot summer we had, we'd wait till it cooled down in the evening. Now it's getting dark earlier, but not nearly as hot as it was.

I have a combo recumbent bike/rowing machine for when the weather doesn't cooperate. I try to get in at least 30 minutes a day.

The only way that I have dicipline is to go to the gym. I go directly after work before I come home. I go 5 days a week. Today was supposed to be a day off, but since I had a weird shift yesterday and couldn't go, I made myself go today.

I alternate between the crossramp machine, elliptical, and treadmill. I throw in a little weight training every other day. On cardio days I do one hour, on alternate days I do 40 minutes cardio and 20 minutes weight training.

The hardest part for me is that I love to walk to get where I'm going (less so just to walk), which I did a lot. People who have seen Galena see the hills and comment on the climbs. With what happened to me, it is downhill that kills me, not uphill. I keep thinking I'm ready to walk to town again, but ..... it'll be awhile yet. A big part of it is more fear than pain or weakness.

Yes, for many of us (even before the fall and break!), this summer has been discouraging for any kind of outdoor activity. I don't know when my area had seen 100 degrees, but it was a long, long time ago. Just doing the outdoor basics, keeping a few plants alive, much less exercising for exercise's sake, just took it out of most of us. Especially in my community, where most of us do not have central a/c. We didn't cook out, much less walk for a mile or three!

Weather now is beautiful for walking, though. I finally figured out how to work my MP3 (well, almost figured it out) so I have some music, so go out of town on occasion to find a flat parking lot to practice walking w/o a limp. This is the bane of my existence.

I commented to my PT about 2 wks after the surgery that I thought my right leg (the one that broke, with the pins) is longer. Measurements were taken and I did my own, and on the right side I've gained almost half an inch. No wonder I limp!

Last edited:
I really enjoy walking in the pool. It is much easier on my knees & it strengthens my legs so I can stand 10 -12 hours a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I looked into the water exercise classes at our local pool. Well, Winthrop wanted them to sign off on a bunch of rules before they would agree to pay the $30.00 yearly fee. They refused. I wasn't surprised. It really ticked me off. Right around the corner from the pool, is a fully staffed emergency room.

I can't walk too far. I have large calcium deposits on my left hip and spine near the coccyx bone. Hence the scooter. I would love to exercise. But aside from the pain, I get out of breath so easily. And then there is the chest pain. The PT department is no help. They suggested I join the group class. I have watched them. Wiggling my toes and shaking my hands is not what I have in mind. The group consists mainly of Alzheimer patients. It is designed to keep their limbs moving. As the disease progresses, the lims become stiff. I may just join the water class on my own and pay the thirty dollars. I will make them aware of my health problems. I will go at my own pace. I am open to any suggestions. :angel:

Addie said:
Well I looked into the water exercise classes at our local pool. Well, Winthrop wanted them to sign off on a bunch of rules before they would agree to pay the $30.00 yearly fee. They refused. I wasn't surprised. It really ticked me off. Right around the corner from the pool, is a fully staffed emergency room.

I can't walk too far. I have large calcium deposits on my left hip and spine near the coccyx bone. Hence the scooter. I would love to exercise. But aside from the pain, I get out of breath so easily. And then there is the chest pain. The PT department is no help. They suggested I join the group class. I have watched them. Wiggling my toes and shaking my hands is not what I have in mind. The group consists mainly of Alzheimer patients. It is designed to keep their limbs moving. As the disease progresses, the lims become stiff. I may just join the water class on my own and pay the thirty dollars. I will make them aware of my health problems. I will go at my own pace. I am open to any suggestions. :angel:

I think water exercises would be really good for you, Addie. You wouldn't need to join a class. Hop in, walk a bit, use a noodle or kickboard, and go slow. Hang on to the side and kick. Wave your arms underwater. Walk some more. Stretch. Just do what you feel comfortable doing. I would imagine the pool has a lifeguard. No reason to pay for a class.

Last edited:
I think water exercises would be really good for you, Addie. You wouldn't need to join a class. Hop in, walk a bit, use a noodle or kickboard, and go slow. Hang on to the side and kick. Wave your arms underwater. Walk some more. Stretch. Just do what you feel comfortable doing. I would imagine the pool has a lifeguard. No reason to pay for a class.

I need to get a bathing suit first. The thirty dollars is the fee for joining the public gym. Not just the pool. And they have an EMT/lifeguard on duty everyday. :angel:

Last edited:
Eating better, biking and Escrima. Biking is great; its all I use for transport. In my town you don't really need a vehicle to cross it. 15 minutes from one side to the other on a bike. Escrima is brilliant; Philippino stick fighting. It derived when Japan invaded the Philippines. Kali and judo mostly. The original weapon of choice for Escrima are machetes and blades. It's the most fun I've had getting my ass beat in a good while. The pounds are coming off at a healthy rate. I've lost 35lbs in 4 months.

Addie said:
I need to get a bathing suit first. The thirty dollars is the fee for joining the public gym. Not just the pool. And they have an EMT/lifeguard on duty everyday. :angel:

So what are you waiting for? Go get a bathing suit!

Thirty dollars for a year is really cheap. A pool is also good for getting out the kinks and for just plain relaxing. A noodle under your arms or behind your back, just float or kick around gently. The warm water feels great, just don't go in after the preschool class....there's a reason the water feels warm....

Last edited:
Four String Chef said:
Eating better, biking and Escrima. Biking is great; its all I use for transport. In my town you don't really need a vehicle to cross it. 15 minutes from one side to the other on a bike. Escrima is brilliant; Philippino stick fighting. It derived when Japan invaded the Philippines. Kali and judo mostly. The original weapon of choice for Escrima are machetes and blades. It's the most fun I've had getting my ass beat in a good while. The pounds are coming off at a healthy rate. I've lost 35lbs in 4 months.

Sounds fascinating! Congrats on the weight loss!

Yesterday was mountain biking, today was a walk after supper. We try to do something every day. In the winter we Wii.

We are quite active, so other than curling 1x a week in the summer, I lift hand weights when I'm watching TV and use one of those "stretch bands" for my legs. I also go up and down the stairs at least 12-15x a day (one of the reasons I set up the "excess kitchen stuff" storage area in the basement, the laundry is there as well, and, in the winter, I have to stoke the woodstove). If I'm not carrying anything, I "jog" up or down. I walk the dog about 2-3x / week when the weather is right. I am looking forward to bringing my NordicTrac in so I can use that again as well.

I've "shrunk" 2 jean sizes since I changed when I eat my big meal of the day (breakfast), (eggs, greens, whole grains), cut out bread (I have the odd piece now and again), and cut out almost all sweets.

I'll be the first to admit that I probably don't exercise as much as I should, but I have a real hard time with treadmills and the like. Try as I might, I get antsy after I'm on one for 10 minutes and just feel like the enjoyment factor is non-existent.

Having said that, I do like being outdoors, and spend a lot of evenings working around the house and yard. I also like swimming, walking, or biking when I can. I realize that doesn't constitute an organized fitness regimen, but I figure doing something is far better than sitting around watching television.

One thing I would also like to do is work some weight training into my life. I used to enjoy that when I was younger.

Last edited:
I do about 40 minutes in the pool every day using the belt so I can stay suspended in deep water. It has helped with my arthritis and mobility but when the water starts getting too cool, I'll be back on the treadmill and that isn't much fun.

A friend of mine lives in a building with a pool...I keep trying to get over there to swim, but our schedules just don't align. I love to swim, but living in the country, it means driving someplace. I believe in doing things that one likes--I grew up swimming, love to be in the water. I would love an indoor swim lane <g>. I also did a lot of xc skiing, so a Nordic track made sense to me. It just hasn't made it back in the house. We also snow shoe a lot in the winter. And, I used to lift weights, so having the handweights handy when watching TV, I do pick them up and use them, as well as the band, while watching TV.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom