"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think they already changed it.
Yup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisco
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #22
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,308
We have tried to avoid such things for a long time here at Casa de Hoot. 'Course, there are many (too many to list) products that are made using trans-fats. I wonder how this will affect the cost of items such as cookies, snack cakes, etc., etc.
__________________

__________________
I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #23
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,089
As a baker, there are some things that trans fats are really good at, like making frostings very light textured, fluffy and non greasy feeling, butter while very tasty, can't produce the same result. Trans fat shortening (usually called high ratio)has been used by bakeries for a long time and still is because it makes a fluffier product and holds up better in warm weather.

Crisco still has trans fats, it just comes in under half a gram per serving, so they can legally call it, "trans fat free" consume more than one serving and you are getting a measurable amount of trans fat. What they did was increase the ratio of fully hydrogenated to partially hydrogenated fat (trans fat), trans fat is still the second ingredient in Crisco. This new formula has created a greasy, waxy texture that the old Crisco didn't have because of the higher ratio of trans fat, the fully hydrogenated fat gives it that greasy mouth feel. This isn't too noticeable in pure crust, cakes and cookies, but in frostings it's very noticeable.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
As a baker, there are some things that trans fats are really good at, like making frostings very light textured, fluffy and non greasy feeling, butter while very tasty, can't produce the same result. Trans fat shortening (usually called high ratio)has been used by bakeries for a long time and still is because it makes a fluffier product and holds up better in warm weather.

Crisco still has trans fats, it just comes in under half a gram per serving, so they can legally call it, "trans fat free" consume more than one serving and you are getting a measurable amount of trans fat. What they did was increase the ratio of fully hydrogenated to partially hydrogenated fat (trans fat), trans fat is still the second ingredient in Crisco. This new formula has created a greasy, waxy texture that the old Crisco didn't have because of the higher ratio of trans fat, the fully hydrogenated fat gives it that greasy mouth feel. This isn't too noticeable in pure crust, cakes and cookies, but in frostings it's very noticeable.
So if the total ban on trans fats go into effect, what will the bakeries turn to? The problem with using Crisco and the like is that there is no flavor to the frosting. I don't see why, if the cake is made the day before, butter can't be used. Keeping the cake cool should solve the problem. I don't mind a not too fluffy frosting, but I do mind a tasteless one. All you taste is the sweetness of the sugar.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #25
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So if the total ban on trans fats go into effect, what will the bakeries turn to? The problem with using Crisco and the like is that there is no flavor to the frosting. I don't see why, if the cake is made the day before, butter can't be used. Keeping the cake cool should solve the problem. I don't mind a not too fluffy frosting, but I do mind a tasteless one. All you taste is the sweetness of the sugar.
It's often used in combination with butter to create a more stable icing, since shortening has a higher melting point than butter. This comes in handy in warmer climates when wedding cakes are made without a fondant covering. Shortening also helps European style buttercreams from tasting "too buttery", which I imagine comes from our US unsalted butter having "natural flavor" added to it.

If I'm piping with an all butter buttercream, I have to work quickly to avoid the buttercream becoming too soft in my hand.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #26
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
But you can't stop people eating unhealthily - you certainly can't legislate for it.
Of course you can . And has been done. Protecting public health is one of the essential functions of government.

Removing unhealthy foodstuffs from the marketplace has been the role of government in the US for many generations. Accomplished via legislation and regulation.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #27
Sous Chef
 
Rocket_J_Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Of course you can . And has been done. Protecting public health is one of the essential functions of government.

Removing unhealthy foodstuffs from the marketplace has been the role of government in the US for many generations. Accomplished via legislation and regulation.
Agree.....probably why there isn't any cocaine in Coca-Cola any more. Good decision.
__________________
Rocket_J_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #28
Executive Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Posts: 4,890
Now if they would do the same thing with high fructose corn syrup I would be a totally happy camper.
__________________
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #29
Sous Chef
 
Rocket_J_Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Now if they would do the same thing with high fructose corn syrup I would be a totally happy camper.
+1..
__________________
Rocket_J_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #30
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,312
+100
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.