F.D.A. Ruling Would All but Eliminate Trans Fats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have tried to avoid such things for a long time here at Casa de Hoot. 'Course, there are many (too many to list) products that are made using trans-fats. I wonder how this will affect the cost of items such as cookies, snack cakes, etc., etc.

As a baker, there are some things that trans fats are really good at, like making frostings very light textured, fluffy and non greasy feeling, butter while very tasty, can't produce the same result. Trans fat shortening (usually called high ratio)has been used by bakeries for a long time and still is because it makes a fluffier product and holds up better in warm weather.

Crisco still has trans fats, it just comes in under half a gram per serving, so they can legally call it, "trans fat free" consume more than one serving and you are getting a measurable amount of trans fat. What they did was increase the ratio of fully hydrogenated to partially hydrogenated fat (trans fat), trans fat is still the second ingredient in Crisco. This new formula has created a greasy, waxy texture that the old Crisco didn't have because of the higher ratio of trans fat, the fully hydrogenated fat gives it that greasy mouth feel. This isn't too noticeable in pure crust, cakes and cookies, but in frostings it's very noticeable.

As a baker, there are some things that trans fats are really good at, like making frostings very light textured, fluffy and non greasy feeling, butter while very tasty, can't produce the same result. Trans fat shortening (usually called high ratio)has been used by bakeries for a long time and still is because it makes a fluffier product and holds up better in warm weather.

Crisco still has trans fats, it just comes in under half a gram per serving, so they can legally call it, "trans fat free" consume more than one serving and you are getting a measurable amount of trans fat. What they did was increase the ratio of fully hydrogenated to partially hydrogenated fat (trans fat), trans fat is still the second ingredient in Crisco. This new formula has created a greasy, waxy texture that the old Crisco didn't have because of the higher ratio of trans fat, the fully hydrogenated fat gives it that greasy mouth feel. This isn't too noticeable in pure crust, cakes and cookies, but in frostings it's very noticeable.

So if the total ban on trans fats go into effect, what will the bakeries turn to? The problem with using Crisco and the like is that there is no flavor to the frosting. I don't see why, if the cake is made the day before, butter can't be used. Keeping the cake cool should solve the problem. I don't mind a not too fluffy frosting, but I do mind a tasteless one. All you taste is the sweetness of the sugar. :angel:

So if the total ban on trans fats go into effect, what will the bakeries turn to? The problem with using Crisco and the like is that there is no flavor to the frosting. I don't see why, if the cake is made the day before, butter can't be used. Keeping the cake cool should solve the problem. I don't mind a not too fluffy frosting, but I do mind a tasteless one. All you taste is the sweetness of the sugar. :angel:

It's often used in combination with butter to create a more stable icing, since shortening has a higher melting point than butter. This comes in handy in warmer climates when wedding cakes are made without a fondant covering. Shortening also helps European style buttercreams from tasting "too buttery", which I imagine comes from our US unsalted butter having "natural flavor" added to it.

If I'm piping with an all butter buttercream, I have to work quickly to avoid the buttercream becoming too soft in my hand.

But you can't stop people eating unhealthily - you certainly can't legislate for it.

Of course you can . And has been done. Protecting public health is one of the essential functions of government.

Removing unhealthy foodstuffs from the marketplace has been the role of government in the US for many generations. Accomplished via legislation and regulation.

Of course you can . And has been done. Protecting public health is one of the essential functions of government.

Removing unhealthy foodstuffs from the marketplace has been the role of government in the US for many generations. Accomplished via legislation and regulation.
Agree.....probably why there isn't any cocaine in Coca-Cola any more. Good decision.

Last edited:
Coca Cola started out life as a headache remedy with cocaine as an ingredient. Back then, cocaine was not regulated.

This is what Wikipedia says about cocaine in Coca Cola:

Pemberton called for five ounces of coca leaf per gallon of syrup, a significant dose; in 1891, Candler claimed his formula (altered extensively from Pemberton's original) contained only a tenth of this amount. Coca-Cola once contained an estimated nine milligrams of cocaine per glass. In 1903, it was removed.[57] After 1904, instead of using fresh leaves, Coca-Cola started using "spent" leaves – the leftovers of the cocaine-extraction process with trace levels of cocaine.[58] Coca-Cola now uses a cocaine-free coca leaf extract prepared at a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey.[59]
So, it's been a long time since there was cocaine in Coca Cola.

Back
Top Bottom