"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

F.D.A. Ruling Would All but Eliminate Trans Fats

http://nytimes.com/2013/11/08/health...rans-fats.html

Old 11-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Seems like a good thing on the face of it. What's your view on it GG?

Is it an outrageous attack on the right of the individual to eat what they want, or a sensible attempt to take an unhealthy artificial product out of the food chain?

Old 11-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

As a heart patient that had a quintuple bypass, I am all for it. Those special rooms they set aside in the ER for heart attack patients can be put to use for something else. It is time the food industry paid attention to the needs and health of the public instead of the bottom line.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Head Chef

But you can't stop people eating unhealthily - you certainly can't legislate for it.

You also can't legislate for hereditary conditions.

I have never been a fan of artificial ingredients (and I never used margarine even when it was in favour over butter). So from that point of view, removing an artificial ingredient where there is absolute proof it is harmful, seems like a perfectly sensible thing to do.

I think my main issue with this (and any other similar ruling on either side of the pond) is the huge claims being made for improvements in public health. There is no way the statistics can be anything other than best guesses. There are simply too many variables to produce anything else.

It does prove though, that every time a scientific study comes up with a "conclusion", it will only be a matter of time before another study completely disproves it.

Teaching people (and in particular, kids) about nutrition and cooking balanced meals would surely be a better way to approach public health than telling people what they can or cannot eat?
Old 11-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I think it takes an unhealthy ingredient out of the food system. People don't typically eat margarine by the spoonful, so it's not like removing cheese or soda from the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
But you can't stop people eating unhealthily - you certainly can't legislate for it.
I think this shows you can, in some circumstances It's not intended to stop people from eating junk food - just an artificial ingredient that has been shown convincingly to be harmful.

Quote:
You also can't legislate for hereditary conditions.
No one is trying to do that.

Quote:
I think my main issue with this (and any other similar ruling on either side of the pond) is the huge claims being made for improvements in public health. There is no way the statistics can be anything other than best guesses. There are simply too many variables to produce anything else.
I'm assuming you're not an epidemiologist. How can you be so sure there is no way they can have reliable statistics? Do you think the entire field of epidemiology is a fraud?

Quote:
It does prove though, that every time a scientific study comes up with a "conclusion", it will only be a matter of time before another study completely disproves it.
Every time? Got stats on that? How about stats on most of the time, or half the time?

I'm not one who is bothered by scientific advances. I said a few days ago that I don't base my food and nutrition decisions on vague news reports about study results, but that's not what this is. This is a major government agency reporting the results of its review of decades of data and making a decision based on that to protect the public's health.

Quote:
Teaching people (and in particular, kids) about nutrition and cooking balanced meals would surely be a better way to approach public health than telling people what they can or cannot eat?
Who says you can't do both? In many places, we are doing both. But this is a big country and not everyone agrees on whether to do that and how to accomplish it, so it's not happening overnight.

I don't really consider this "telling people what they can't eat" because most people don't add trans fats to their food, unless they're using margarine, which, according to the article, has dropped a lot in popularity recently. And I don't think it's a bad thing to encourage people to use butter, olive oil, and other natural oils instead.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
Head Chef

I was purely stimulating debate GG. And I have said I am in favour of removing harmful artificial products from the food chain.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I was purely stimulating debate GG. And I have said I am in favour of removing harmful artificial products from the food chain.
I thought I was responding in kind You made some statements and I challenged them. That's debate, yes?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I thought I was responding in kind You made some statements and I challenged them. That's debate, yes?

I posted opinions, not statements. My bad if they came across as statements.

I am not involved in the debate - I am not a US citizen.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Just a comment on margarine. There are many brands that have been available for a long time that are very low in saturated fat and have zero trans fat.
I do support the fact that added trans fats have no place in our foods.

http://www.enjoymargarineeveryday.co...rine-healthier
Old 11-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
As a heart patient that had a quintuple bypass, I am all for it. Those special rooms they set aside in the ER for heart attack patients can be put to use for something else. It is time the food industry paid attention to the needs and health of the public instead of the bottom line.
So because you were a heart patient does this mean I don't have the right to eat what I wish to?

Do diabetics mean I can't have a 13oz soda (we know 12 oz ones are completely fine).

Industry = bottom line. That is the way it is. You do have choices, even unhealthy ones. That is what freedom is supposed to be, not being nannied into being "good"