Facebook heads up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Facebook and sites of their ilk, for some reason, always conjures thoughts of lemmings in my mind. :rolleyes:

Facebook and sites of their ilk, for some reason, always conjures thoughts of lemmings in my mind. :rolleyes:
I guess that makes me a lemming. It's funny how people love to just jump in and slam whatever's popular at the moment (which is also somewhat lemming-esque, don't you think?).

I happen to like Facebook and will openly admit it. I've found it to be a great tool for reconnecting with people I had lost track of over the years. Twenty-some years ago, when my first wife and I split up, she took the address book (among other things). Facebook has helped me get in touch with a lot of those old friends. I also found three cousins who I hadn't heard from since we were kids. Then there was the exchange student I met in the eighties, who went back to Switzerland and lost touch. I recently found her again as well. Without a network like FB, it would've been much more difficult, if not impossible, to rediscover those people.

So good or bad - and I'll be the first to admit there is also some bad - Facebook does serve some useful purpose. I really don't think it's the evil empire some of you believe it to be.

And as for giving up some privacy... well, the only way to avoid that is to stay away from the internet altogether. Even the advertisers here on DC are following your movements, in case you hadn't noticed. ;)

Last edited:
greg, in real as well as legal terms, what you decide to post (or in some way input in any way) is the property of the place you entered it plain and simple. it an't yours anymore.

I had assumed that. If anything I posted here contradicts that then I was not sufficiently clear in explaining myself.

I have never joined Facebook because I would never agree to their terms, particularly since they keep changing them, if the complaints I often see are any indication.

I guess that makes me a lemming. It's funny how people love to just jump in and slam whatever's popular at the moment (which is also somewhat lemming-esque, don't you think?).

I happen to like Facebook and will openly admit it. I've found it to be a great tool for reconnecting with people I had lost track of over the years. Twenty-some years ago, when my first wife and I split up, she took the address book (among other things). Facebook has helped me get in touch with a lot of those old friends. I also found three cousins who I hadn't heard from since we were kids. Then there was the exchange student I met in the eighties, who went back to Switzerland and lost touch. I recently found her again as well. Without a network like FB, it would've been much more difficult, if not impossible, to rediscover those people.

So good or bad - and I'll be the first to admit there is also some bad - Facebook does serve some useful purpose. I really don't think it's the evil empire some of you believe it to be.

And as for giving up some privacy... well, the only way to avoid that is to stay away from the internet altogether. Even the advertisers here on DC are following your movements, in case you hadn't noticed. ;)

You're free to put what ever info you want out there. Just as I'm free to state what I feel about sites like that.;)

I love facebook. It has helped me find people that I haven't seen in years. These are not people that I would regularly call, I'm not much of a caller, just ask my mum! I wouldn't actively email either, but it is fun keeping up with their lives. It's fun celebrating the good things and offering kind words during bad.

I am not worried about facebook security. I control what I put on there. My password is in no way similar to my e-mail, or financial passwords, so if the site gets hacked, it really isn't a big deal. The pictures that I post, I don't mind if the whole world sees them. I choose my words carefully and am smart about what I post, never bad mouthing my employer etc.. I don't mind if people know I'm away on vacation, My house is watched by caring neighbors, they are the only ones authorized to go in and out while I'm on vacation.

Facebook usually takes the low road when changing things, that annoys me a bit, BUT even if they made everything on my profile public, I wouldn't freak out, because I haven't put any sensitive information on their site, or any site they link to.

I really enjoy much of Facebook. As others have mentioned, it's great for getting back in touch with people and keeping up with them. It's a really good way to organize a party or other event. I just wish they hadn't dumbed it down to the lowest common denominator and that they didn't, as Bakechef put it so well, take the "low road" on so many things.

Steve, Bakechef, Taxlady, I really enjoy Facebook too. People seem to get quite paranoid about it, likes its voodoo or something. I've used it for years now, no problem.

The Red Social: Linkedin, Twitter, Facbk. & Google

Buonasera,

This is quite a controversial and up to the minute topic.

I have had a reunion with a friend I have not seen in years, who visited us in Spain ...

It was lovely to see her ... So for this, I am thankful.

Kind regards,
Margaux.

Steve, Bakechef, Taxlady, I really enjoy Facebook too. People seem to get quite paranoid about it, likes its voodoo or something. I've used it for years now, no problem.
It's not Voodoo, it's invading your privacy and putting it at risk. The people who have FB accounts are the product and the advertisers are the clients. They cater to their clients. The "apps" want to know far more info than I think they could possibly need. Some of the apps ask you to grant permission about using your friends' info. It really is kind of creepy.

Addie said:
I want to get rid of FB, but don't know how. HELP!

I googled it. It takes two weeks.

I didn't get rid of it because of big brother reasons I get rid of it for other reasons.

I got rid of it because I got tired of the only responses from friends and family were to join in their silly games.

I got rid of it because I got tired of the only responses from friends and family were to join in their silly games.

The only reason I joined was to be able to see pics of my grandson. I have other ways of seeing the pics. I no longer need FB. So how do I get rid of it? I can't find anything there that will lead me to unjoin. :rolleyes:

The "apps" want to know far more info than I think they could possibly need. Some of the apps ask you to grant permission about using your friends' info. It really is kind of creepy.

I agree the apps and games are annoying. I have app requests blocked, and my friends know better than to send me game invites. If I have to say something to someone more than once, they are no longer on my friends list. Simple as that. Nothing personal against anyone.

The only reason I joined was to be able to see pics of my grandson. I have other ways of seeing the pics. I no longer need FB. So how do I get rid of it? I can't find anything there that will lead me to unjoin. :rolleyes:

Sorry, Addie, I would have to rejoin to find out what I did to get rid of it the first time. I know it's in the user settings, but do not know the direct path, I gave it up about two years ago.

I did find this: How to Permanently Delete a Facebook Account (with screenshots)

I agree the apps and games are annoying. I have app requests blocked, and my friends know better than to send me game invites. If I have to say something to someone more than once, they are no longer on my friends list. Simple as that. Nothing personal against anyone.
I have the same rules with my friends.

The apps that are particularly annoying to me are the ones that show up when you click a link to a video or news item that someone has posted. Yahoo comes to mind. They want to know all kinds of personal stuff. I already have a Yahoo account and they never asked that stuff for that.

I dont use any apps or games and block them. Yes Taxlady just go into your account settings - take some time just to have a good look and make sure you are happy with your settings, its not difficult to do and then you are sorted.

You can block people too.

Back
Top Bottom