Facebook heads up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dont forget to check the settings you have for individual friends too - that way you can stop any annoying stuff /apps games/showing up you can also control if you want to see their news feed. Its just a matter of making sure everything is ticked, worth taking time to do.

There are also settings for friends/close friends/acquaintances if you only want a certain group of people to see stuff on your own page.

I dont use any apps or games and block them. Yes Taxlady just go into your account settings - take some time just to have a good look and make sure you are happy with your settings, its not difficult to do and then you are sorted.

You can block people too.
I guess I never noticed that one (BTW it's in privacy settings, not account settings). I wonder how long it's been there. I have a few apps, so I'm not willing to block them all. Early on, the apps didn't want access to nearly as much of your info.

The list of games and apps that I have blocked was about three screens long. :ermm: :LOL:

I think one of the things I hate most about FB, is that I have to keep checking on the danged settings. I should be able to set stuff and check it once a year.

Dont forget to check the settings you have for individual friends too - that way you can stop any annoying stuff /apps games/showing up you can also control if you want to see their news feed. Its just a matter of making sure everything is ticked, worth taking time to do.

There are also settings for friends/close friends/acquaintances if you only want a certain group of people to see stuff on your own page.
I have all of that stuff set up. I set up who can see what, the day I joined. I do check on it once in a while.

I wish there was a way to see when I joined. I looked through my LiveJournal because I thought I mentioned it there. Too much work, but I found a post about going to the ER in April 2008, and I remember posting to FB from my phone about that.

I haven't had to block any people. I block apps that annoy me from the news feed.

Control of what I see in my news feed is very poor. I tell it that I don't want to see a particular person's "likes & comments" and I still see them. It just hides that specific post. I want to see all of my husband's posts, but I haven't figured out how to get them all into my news feed. So, I go to his "wall". It works, but it's annoying work around.

Control of what I see in my news feed is very poor. I tell it that I don't want to see a particular person's "likes & comments" and I still see them. It just hides that specific post. I want to see all of my husband's posts, but I haven't figured out how to get them all into my news feed. So, I go to his "wall". It works, but it's annoying work around.
As far as your husband goes, if you go to his timeline and hover over the "Friends" button, it should give you several options. I have my wife and daughter set to "Family" and it shows me everything they post. In fact, it usually sends me some sort of notification when they post something new.

For other people you don't want to see, or limit visibility to, hover over the "Friends" button, and where it says "show in news feed", uncheck that.

As far as your husband goes, if you go to his timeline and hover over the "Friends" button, it should give you several options. I have my wife and daughter set to "Family" and it shows me everything they post. In fact, it usually sends me some sort of notification when they post something new.

For other people you don't want to see, or limit visibility to, hover over the "Friends" button, and where it says "show in news feed", uncheck that.
I just checked. Stirling is listed as family. It says to show him in my news feed. The settings for the news feed have everything ticked.

Oh yeah, I have several lists and some posts are only visible to one or a few lists. I could probably get rid of a lot of crap by having more people not show in my news feed, but I am trying to keep up. I just don't want to see every single thing they like or comment on. And since they do have a pull down menu next to every post, it would be nice for that to work, instead of having to go to the person's wall to deal with it.

i don't use fb enough to take the time to constantly learn all of the settings one needs in order to remain sufficiently safe.

btw, steve, about the "evil empire', i didn't make up my statement about fb wanting to be thesingle, go-to website for all of your online needs. it was what they advertised as their future when they were going public. that's attempting to be a monopoly in my book. too much power in one place, imo.

oh, i forgot to ask: does anyone know how to prevent someone from repeatedly asking to be "befriended".

an ex-gf has requested to be fb friends several times over the past 2 years, and even though i've denied the requests, every once in a while she sends another one.

it's really beginning to bug my wife, which i completely understand.
i really don't want any contact with the ex-gf, or otherwise i'd just tell her to piss off. lol, but i'd probably have to accept the friendship first in order to send the message. :glare:

oh, i forgot to ask: does anyone know how to prevent someone from repeatedly asking to be "befriended".

an ex-gf has requested to be fb friends several times over the past 2 years, and even though i've denied the requests, every once in a while she sends another one.

it's really beginning to bug my wife, which i completely understand.
i really don't want any contact with the ex-gf, or otherwise i'd just tell her to piss off. lol, but i'd probably have to accept the friendship first in order to send the message. :glare:
It depends on how she has set her privacy, whether you can send a message to her without being friends. I think there is a way to block someone. I haven't had to do that. I think it's one of the options with the notification of the friend request.

Bucky Tom, I would block that person. Go to your privacy settings and there is an option for "blocked people and apps". You have to put her name in and then you can block her. She will not be able to interact with you, contact you, or see anything you post on any mutual friends pages (if that were the case).

Also though, now when you get a new friend request, when you choose not to accept it, FB asks if you know this person outside FB. If you say No, then it doesnt allow that person to contact you again. The short way though is to block the person.

Wow all the things you have to do to "protect" yourself at FB.:ohmy: You enjoy a site that has so many hoops? Really?

I'm not sure what the poster above means by "hoops". Maybe he or she is thinking about basketball or hula hoops. Hard to tell.

BT, there is a very easy way to block someone. Go to their page and at the top right there is a settings button (it looks like a gear and is next to the Friends & Message button). Click on that and there should be an option to report or block that person. Once you do that, you'll never see that person on FB again, and they will no longer see you either.

Last edited:
thanks taxy, gq, and steve. i'll look into the block thing.

you'd think after 4 or 5 denials she'd get the hint.

Something to keep in mind for your news feed on Facebook is that the people you interact with most tend to be the ones most prevalent in your feed - it's part of FB's algorithm. Also, if you have a ton of friends, chances are high that by the time you check your feed again, all the posts you think aren't showing up have simply been pushed down the feed by newer content. Sometimes going to a person's personal page is just the way you have to do it.

Wow all the things you have to do to "protect" yourself at FB.:ohmy: You enjoy a site that has so many hoops? Really?

What exactly am I protecting myself from?

I only put information out there that I don't mind being public, it's called being smart online. I do the same for any website that I use, including this one.

I am not afraid of facebook stealing my identity, or soul, I only give them so much to work with.

do sheep float?

(lol, sorry steve, gq, et al in the facebook fold. i know it's useable if you take the time. just please keep your heads up)

I have to agree with Bakechef's philosophy. I keep up with friends and family on FB, rarely post anything. DH despises FB, and refuses to join. To each his own.

I do periodically check my settings.

I use Facebook to stay in touch with family, share pictures etc. I have found relatives I didn't know I had, and rekindled relationships with friends and family. A 3rd cousin's wife from the other side of the country found me and shared an Immense amount of genealogy material with me and we had the chance to meet when we were (by chance)both visiting Yellowstone. Facebook is what you make of it. My advise......Keep track of your privacy settings, only share what you feel comfortable with. Block those you don't want contact with and be sure that those who are really your friends are your friends and they know how you feel about games and other requests(those can be quite a pain) ;)

One less reason to use Facebook: Google+ has just added Events, which is good for party planning. And, Google+ Events will send invitations to people who aren't signed up for Google+, unlike FB. They just can't add comments or photos. They can accept or decline the invitation, so it keeps your list of people coming up to date. w00t!

Back
Top Bottom