"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #21
Dishwasher

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I gotta ask...If it's just like clicking on a thread found on Google, Yahoo etc, and if doesn't give access that they don't already have, and doesn't add any features that were not already there and if the same exact people can view the same exact data as before.....then what is the point of having the Facebook "Like" button?
That is a good question. I am not sure how familiar you are with Facebook, so I will just assume you have no experience with it and explain. When someone likes something, it is akin to them saying to their friends/family "Hey, I like this.". Their friends and family will see that on their Facebook page. They may click the link to see more about what it is their friend likes. That of course drives more traffic here and (hopefully) increases traffic and participation over the long term.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I am somewhat familiar with Facebook but don't have much use for it. I was just wonderin'. Thanks!

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I gotta ask...If it's just like clicking on a thread found on Google, Yahoo etc, and if doesn't give access that they don't already have, and doesn't add any features that were not already there and if the same exact people can view the same exact data as before.....then what is the point of having the Facebook "Like" button?
If I think a thread is worth sharing with my friends on FB, this is a very easy way to do it.

Of course, I could just copy the link from here and post that on FB, but then I have to have an open FB page.

I don't think it's a big deal, one way or the other.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Admin View Post

Second, you can disable this in your user CP under edit options.
Yes, thank you. Good to have options!

Ah, found it. Scroll down to the bottom, there's a place to check "Disable Facebook Features."
Old 03-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

To be clear, if I disable FB functions in my options, does that just prevent me from liking a thread, but all my posts still are part of the thread? If that's the case, what's the point? I can just not do it on my own.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
To be clear, if I disable FB functions in my options, does that just prevent me from liking a thread, but all my posts still are part of the thread? If that's the case, what's the point? I can just not do it on my own.

You won't have to see the "Like" button.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #27
Head Chef

Thank the gods there is a remove option since I don't use FB at all. Kind of cheesy to have to remove it Vs opting it in, but gotta make that $$ from Google Ads I suppose.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
... gotta make that $$ from Google Ads I suppose.
Ads are what keeps this site going. Without them there's no DC.

More people become aware of DC, as a result, more people join DC. With a higher membership, ads get DC more money. More money makes DC's owner happy to have DC. We have a place to hand out.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #29
Honey Badger

People are what keeps DC going. Without us this place wouldn't be.
Money is just a second thought. Remember all those Mustard ads? They didn't last long before we revolted against them.

It would have been a courteous move on the owners part to inform "US" that the Fake Book option was going to be introduced and how to opt out of it if "WE" decided to do so. A sticky in the announcement section would have been nice.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Disabling the facebook thing only allows you and those who disable it to not see the button. It is still there.

I just went into my user cp and changed everything over to only registered members can see my anything.

Without doing that I was able to see all kinds of stuff about people who post in threads without being logged in.

Maybe I'm just a bit too worried these days and over cautious .. so for me that is the way to go.

I really appreciate all the activity this thread has had .. just shows how involved we all are in this forum ... and that's a good thing !!!