Facebook Like Button????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsLMB

Executive Chef
Ok so this morning I noticed something new ... a Facebook like button on certain posts .. why do we have this?

I don't like them either. Me and FB do not get along. I've no doubt the recent trojans I've had to erradicate from my work computer got in through customers' emails disguised as a FB thing... come friend me or something...

But, why is it only on some posts? I wonder what happens when you do click it. Does it just say, on FB, that you liked a post on DC? Does it post the post to your FB wall? oes it show here, that you liked it on FB?

Oh heck, I'm going to try it. I'll "like" MrsLMB's post and see. It's the only one I have seen with the button.

Okay, this is what happens. After I clicked "Like", it put a button to comment.

Here's a screenshot from my FB "wall".

Attachments

• facebook post.gif
    facebook post.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 176
Okay, this is what happens. After I clicked "Like", it put a button to comment.

Here's a screenshot from my FB "wall".

LOL well folks .. I am NOT your wine expert on the internet :LOL:

I'm thinking it's putting it on the first post in a thread.

Guess it's another form of advertising but shouldn't we have the option of including it or not?

Is there a way for the admins to opt out of having that thing show up?

It's on new OP posts starting yesterday, I think. Only the first post. It doesn't show up on the iPad app.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a big deal. You don't have to click it. If you click it by mistake, you can click cancel in the window that pops up. Bottom line: If you don't like it, don't use it. I think it's a cool way to share a post from here with my FB friends and it puts a link to DC on FB. Heck, I already "like" DC on FB.

I don't like it. Noticed it showed up on a post that I had started yesterday.
Who cares if someone likes it or not. It was a question. Not a recipe.

Everywhere you go Fake book is around. Never thought that trashy place would ever show up here. I don't appreciate how it's managed yet again tried to be shoved down someones throat. You will like us or else.. It's a rude intrusion. I'm one of those people that aren't sheep. Prefer to have the option to opt out of the whole thing. Don't see any benefit of having it around here.
We already have a star rating system.

I don't think it's a big deal. You don't have to click it. If you click it by mistake, you can click cancel in the window that pops up. Bottom line: If you don't like it, don't use it. I think it's a cool way to share a post from here with my FB friends and it puts a link to DC on FB. Heck, I already "like" DC on FB.

I would just as soon any of your FB friends come here to read something I may have said in a thread. If they aren't already here, too bad. Even though this is a public (sort of) forum, I'm feeling exposed having something I wrote here show up on another forum.
I also find it odd that a cooking forum that won't allow a new member to post a link to youtube of them cooking a recipe would allow a sideways hookup of sorts with FB, which does not have anything to do with cooking.
What's next, ChristianMingle.com? :LOL:

Ok .. well let me say this.

I "liked" this thread. Logged out of here. Went to facebook .. and it let me read the entire thread on here without being logged in here.

I have to agree with Pac and Munky.

This facebook intrusion is so out of hand anymore.

For those who love Facebook I have no problem with that. I do use it but only as a cheap means of communication with family that is all over this country.

I just don't care for the fact that anyone can read an entire thread here without being logged in. Not that I have anything to hide .. it's just wrong.

We are being forced to give them anything.

The whole reason I started this thread was because when I came in this morning I noticed that like button on another thread.

It really made me uncomfortable to see it here on DC. Then I saw it on another thread .. and another.

Then I freaked .. I had just started a thread a day or so ago asking everyone to post pictures of their kids, grands etc .. The Big Brag Book. And I had posted pics of the young ones in our family.

So I went there and sure enough .. there was that facebook like button.

Well I do NOT want those children's pictures out there for any freak on Facebook to get hold of.

Yeah .. I know .. if you post it on the internet yada yada yada .. but this is different.

Someone might innocently click like because they like a thread .. then wham .. it's all out there for the taking.

On Facebook things spread faster than a wildfire.

Many thanks to PF for deleting that entire thread for me.

No thanks .. if this can't be removed then fine .. at least I understand that.

But I won't be starting any new threads and any replies - after this of course - will be of no value for anyone of Facebook to steal.

Sorry for the rant and ramble but the more I think about how Facebook is weaseling it's way into our lives the more upset I get.

Thanks for listening and I hope I've not hurt anyone's feelings .. love ya all .. you are great people !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to clear up a couple of things on this. Yes, if someone likes this thread on Facebook, Facebook users can click the link and read this thread, just like they can when they find this thread on Google, Yahoo, etc.. It only shows on public threads. It does not give anyone any access they already don't have and does not add any features that were not already there. It does not make any information available that wasn't already available. The same exact people can view the same exact data as before. It does not reveal personal information of those who post.

Second, you can disable this in your user CP under edit options.

I gotta ask...If it's just like clicking on a thread found on Google, Yahoo etc, and if doesn't give access that they don't already have, and doesn't add any features that were not already there and if the same exact people can view the same exact data as before.....then what is the point of having the Facebook "Like" button?

Back
Top Bottom