"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 04-20-2007, 03:42 AM   #1
Head Chef
Fake tan advice?

OK, I guess this is a question for the girls!

I have really pale skin, by design....naturally I tan to a nice colour, but it takes a LONG time, and I'm trying to save my skin now, so for years I've been factor 25 minimum and hats and the shade. But I'm the only pale person in Italy I think, so I tried some of the moisturiser with a gradual tanning effect, rather than an out and out fake tan which I always manage to streak. Yesterday it looked....ok, I was shocked just how much colour it had, but it was ok...it says to apply daily, and today I'm tangerine....I thought thats what these moisturiser/gradual tanners were meant to avoid....plus I'm a bit streaky over the foot. So, if I apply again tonight wll orange start to be brown, or do I let the whole lot wear off and go back to the albino leg look? I would like to try and make the tan thing work...and I chose the pale skin bottle.

Any one else using this type of product?

In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:34 AM   #2
Head Chef
If you rub really hard, the stuff will come off,I think. I have tried it too, and just didn't like the look. A friend said to try a more expensive brand, but I'm not sure..

I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #3
Sous Chef
too funny...an italian and a floridian sharing advice on FAKE tanning!! lmao!!
I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
mugsy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:52 AM   #4
Head Chef
LOL, I was just echatting with a girl in Austrailia about it too Mugsy...

my skin is most definitely not Italian though, and having spent my childhood nut brown and never sunscreened I'm paranoid about sun block now.
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
Executive Chef
I tried that years ago. Orange didn't look good on me either!! LOL Now I wear total block so I won't tan.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
Master Chef
I've tried it and had horrible results and used a really known brand. I don't think its possible to not get some streaks with it and yes I ended with more of an orangy color.

Yes you can scrub it off....I used a body sponge.

I have light skin and don't like to go to the tanning beds so I don't get tan but want the effect. A new tanning saloon opened here in town and was offering spray tans but the lady ended up sending the booth back to the manufacturer because it didn't live up to the high expections the instilled in her head. She used her sister as a tester to try and get the right color but said that it just streaked too much and the color wasn't right and she refused to let her customers be subjected to something that she wasn't satisfied.....I applauded her of course.

Anyway.....there is a reputable saloon in the neighboring city and I'm planning on going there in May and speaking with the owner to get more information about their spray on tans and ask if she can direct me to customers that use it to get their opinion. You might try this too if its available in your area.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
Sous Chef
Our eldest daughter gets spray tanned whenever she's going for a sun holiday. It looks great! And then I guess, she just sun bathes a little.
ella/TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
Head Chef
I'm allergic to the sun so I can't get a nice tan. I am very pale as well.

I've tried Jergens fake tan lotion and it was too orange. Now I'm trying Aveno and will be interested in seeing if there is a difference in the two.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:03 PM   #9
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by mugsy27
too funny...an italian and a floridian sharing advice on FAKE tanning!! lmao!!
How funny!!!

I have heard that the spray tans are really good...much healthier than the beds. I have heard that the lotion bursts your skin molecules to keep the color from washing away.
You never know if you like something until you try it once. ~Grandpa Walt
Mrs. Cuillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #10
Head Chef
I used the lightest of the Jergens last year and had good results. I'm not sure what makes it work for one and not another ... I'm very pale and I turned a nice light brown - no orange. I did notice, however, that it had the same effect on my palms that I noticed on people who use the full on bronzers. After the first night, I remembered to wash my hands (palms only) really well after application.

Could time of day affect it I wonder? I always put it on at night, before bed. Maybe the lack of activity made it settle better ...

JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote