Family Food Jokes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Fiona, you reminded me of a great restaurant memory. The funny thing is, it came to me just the other day, before you started this thread, and now again.

My Uncle Glen was the manager of Aunt Emma's Pancake House in San Diego. At least a couple times, for our birthdays (I was probably 11 the first time, and Diana is 18 months younger than me), Uncle Glen and his girlfriend Peggy took Diana and me to dinner for our birthdays. It was just the four of us, and we felt so special. We wore our nicest dresses and we felt so grown up to be going with them, and without our parents.

At one of these dinners we got on the topic of manners or rudeness. My uncle was sitting there, elbow on the table, fist under his chin, staring at Diana, and he said, "Well at least I don't watch people eat." It was probably about 5 seconds later that Diana realized he was staring at her. We had a huge laugh, and every now and then throughout the years someone would out of the blue say, "Well at least I don't watch people eat!"

:)Barbara

There are soooo many food stories in my house. My Dad was always good for a laugh. He had six kids and there were always a few extra kids at the table for dinner too.

One night we were being boisterous and rude and he said, "don't eat with your mouth full!" There was silence for some time while we contemplated whether laughing at that one would get us killed. Mom was the one who totally lost it and laughed til tears ran down her face.

Another memorable one was the hot pepper juice squirting up his nose. I had no idea the human body could change to that color!

There are soooo many food stories in my house. My Dad was always good for a laugh. He had six kids and there were always a few extra kids at the table for dinner too.

One night we were being boisterous and rude and he said, "don't eat with your mouth full!" There was silence for some time while we contemplated whether laughing at that one would get us killed. Mom was the one who totally lost it and laughed til tears ran down her face.

Another memorable one was the hot pepper juice squirting up his nose. I had no idea the human body could change to that color!

Yikes! That brings back one that I have never forgotten. Nancy was still at an age where she was in the highchair, and I was feeding her. She was really cranky and was going on and on about something (I can't remember at all). I was getting super frustrated because she wouldn't let me give her any food. I wanted her to be quiet and eat. All I can really remember from that day is suddenly blurting out, "Shut your mouth and open your mouth!" :shock::LOL:

Okay, no one swallow liquid while reading that last!:ROFLMAO:

Princess Fiona, you reminded me of a great restaurant memory. The funny thing is, it came to me just the other day, before you started this thread, and now again.

My Uncle Glen was the manager of Aunt Emma's Pancake House in San Diego. At least a couple times, for our birthdays (I was probably 11 the first time, and Diana is 18 months younger than me), Uncle Glen and his girlfriend Peggy took Diana and me to dinner for our birthdays. It was just the four of us, and we felt so special. We wore our nicest dresses and we felt so grown up to be going with them, and without our parents.

At one of these dinners we got on the topic of manners or rudeness. My uncle was sitting there, elbow on the table, fist under his chin, staring at Diana, and he said, "Well at least I don't watch people eat." It was probably about 5 seconds later that Diana realized he was staring at her. We had a huge laugh, and every now and then throughout the years someone would out of the blue say, "Well at least I don't watch people eat!"

:LOL:Sounds like our house!:LOL:

My uncle was in a restaurant and the waitress asked what kind of cold cut he would like on his sandwich; would he like tongue? (Not at all unusual in Denmark) He said, "No, I don't want to eat anything that has been in someone else's mouth. Could I please have an egg sandwich?" He was the first one to laugh when he remembered where an egg has been.

My uncle was in a restaurant and the waitress asked what kind of cold cut he would like on his sandwich; would he like tongue? (Not at all unusual in Denmark) He said, "No, I don't want to eat anything that has been in someone else's mouth. Could I please have an egg sandwich?" He was the first one to laugh when he remembered where an egg has been.

:ROFLMAO:

Lucky Trim's Rabbit recipe unearthed this memory.

Mom and Dad never left us with sitters, we were always with one of them. Dad decided to go rabbit hunting, while Mom was at work. So he bundled us up and hauled us out east of town to the old rock quarries. I had been out to the gun range with Dad several times by then and was a really good shot.

Dad talked up rabbit hunting like it was the best time in the world, mostly so we wouldn't whine about going hunting with him. We were all having a good time and then Dad shot his first rabbit.

This was our first experience with, "dead." Before that we had no idea, really deep down, what "dead" meant. Dad put the dead rabbit in a bread bag, tied it off and put it in the back on the floor of the car, right under my feet.

I started crying, the idea of a dead rabbit that we were going to eat, was pretty upsetting to a 5 year old. Pretty soon all three of us girls were crying. "You killed Bugs Bunny!!"

I don't know what happened to that rabbit, I'm fairly sure we didn't eat it. Dad is still the "Rabbit Killer" and I can still picture the pattern and colors on the bread bag with the dead rabbit in it.

Soon after, I was sent to my uncle's dairy farm in the summers. Being me, I was quickly involved in the day-to-day running of the farm, including killing chickens and plucking them. I got over my squeamishness over meat, but I still refuse to name the animal I'm going to be cooking.

PrincessFiona's story reminds me of this. Back when I lived in that log cabin and ate too much snowshoe hare, everyone I knew dried bunny skins on empty bottles. Seeing a bunny on a bottle was something no even noticed.

A friend of mine had dinner guests from Montreal. Half way through dinner she noticed that the vegetarian hadn't eaten much of her vegetarian supper. She was staring, with a horrified look, at a bunny on a bottle, right in front of her.

hahhaa My mom's first Thanksgiving dinner was for her, Dad, Dad's twin brother and his wife. Mom had never made a turkey before ... she bought it frozen. She put it into the oven frozen. 10 hours later the bird was still hard as a rock and no-where near cooked. So they ended up dining on deviled eggs, mashed potatoes and tiny little bit of left over roast beef she'd cooked a couple days before. LOL

That happened nearly 50 years ago and she still gets teased about it. =P

My mom also went through a serious potato soup phase... I guess money may have been tight or something because it seems like we ate it all the time. We still say "Come on over I'm making potato soup!" no matter what we're really cooking. And "potato soup" is always the answer when someone asks what's for dinner.

...My mom also went through a serious potato soup phase... I guess money may have been tight or something because it seems like we ate it all the time. We still say "Come on over I'm making potato soup!" no matter what we're really cooking. And "potato soup" is always the answer when someone asks what's for dinner.
My family's potato story is about my cousin Sandra. When she was a little over a year old she ate her first Thanksgiving dinner with the family. She loved her mashed potatoes. She started getting tired and cranky and was rubbing her eyes. Aunt Janet cleaned Sandy up and put her down for a nap. That evening Sandy started rubbing her eyes and we saw a little string of white coming out from the inner corner of one of her eyes. It was mashed potatoes that she had rubbed into her eye! Thankfully for her we don't call her "Potato Eye" all the time--mainly just around Thanksgiving!

Back
Top Bottom