"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
...My grandfather once told us that we had a relative who was one of the original Harlem Globe Trotters. We had to explain to him that we are white, Jewish, and short and those three things do not really go with the Globe Trotters

GB, don't be too quick to dismiss the possibility. This may be worth looking into.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
My maternal grandfather was a bodyguard for Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing during World War I. I remember my grandfather talking about Gen. Pershing and I wish he was still around to tell me more.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #33
Chief Eating Officer

I am speechless Andy. I wish Grandpa was still around so I could ask him about this.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossie View Post
Oh, I thought the quote was: You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you canNOT pick your friend's nose. LoL
Here's another gross one.
You can pick you friend's and you can pick your nose but you can't wipe your friends on the couch
So sorry for that one but I just could not help myself
Old 04-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #35
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post

My grandfather once told us that we had a relative who was one of the original Harlem Globe Trotters. We had to explain to him that we are white, Jewish, and short and those three things do not really go with the Globe Trotters
But the Globetrotters were founded and owned by Abe Saperstein who was short, white and Jewish. Are you related to him?

My great uncle invented plastic spiral binding, but my long-ago great grandfather on my mother's side was an aide to General Washington in the Revolutionary war and is supposedly pictured in that painting of Washington Crossing the Delaware. I know he was in the Revolutionary War, but I don't know how much of the rest of that is true.....
Old 04-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #36
Chief Eating Officer

I just checked with dad and we were not related to Abe. Grandpa was talking about a family member actually playing on the team.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #37
Master Chef

Father-in-law's great-grandfather who was a professor opposed the Kaiser and had to flee Germany and settled in Texas along with many other Germans near San Antonio, TX. My own great-grandfather established the first Catholic German community in a small north Texas town that is still thriving today. Only claim to fame.......there's a rumour that my husband's family is somewhat related to Shakspeare's wife, Ann Hathaway, as they share the same mother's maiden name (Hathaway) but I highly doubt it..none of them have produced a play as far as I know
Old 04-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
expatgirl

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #39
Senior Cook

I think we have a lot of infamous ones too. When you shake my family tree, only nuts fall out.
Seriously, by adoption I am related to Edgar Allan Poe. Since I enjoy writing I'm really proud of that; he's one of my favorites.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Me, I'm Hungarian Gypsy - I don't want to know what thief in history I am related to
Funny, DW is half Hungarian Gypsy, Half British.... maybe you guys share a half-thief in there somewhere??

Grandma said we were related to some 'Whitehall' family in the UK, not sure who they are or if they are famous?? Kinda funny though as my MIL (the British half of DW), said her mother once worked for the Whitehalls... weird world.

On my side, supposedly we are related to the pitcher Wally Joyner... no idea if it is really true or not.

Other than that, just nuts and infamous relatives!