"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-09-2008, 12:55 AM   #61
Executive Chef

Genetics is really scary to me. You'd understand if you met my relatives.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:06 AM   #62
Master Chef

I totally hear you!!!!!!! Don't know ANYONE on my mother's side whatsoever and she died of breast cancer at age 30------Girls, REMINDER: get your yearly mammograms and do your monthly checks

Old 04-09-2008, 01:18 AM   #63
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I totally hear you!!!!!!! Don't know ANYONE on my mother's side whatsoever and she died of breast cancer at age 30------Girls, REMINDER: get your yearly mammograms and do your monthly checks
Oh, that is scary. I was jokingly referring to the fact that my whole family is nuts! But they are pretty healthy nuts - only heart disease, which I am actually having a check-up for tomorrow. But no cancer except for a couple of kinds that generally come with old age. I do the monthly breast checks and I'm hoping that breastfeeding for 16 years gave me some protection. (Because it sure did a number gravity-wise on "the girls"!)
Old 04-09-2008, 01:22 AM   #64
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchenScrapbook View Post
No relation, but Larry the Cable Guy owns a home on a lake close to here. And there's a rumor that Oprah Winfrey owns a home on the most prestigious lake around here. And Brett Favre is on the computer background. Do those count for anything?
Where in WI are you? I've waited on Brett Favre, does that count? Mike Holmgren? My boss's ex-wife just married the coach ... I could go on and on. Green Bay is a pretty small town for such celebrity, I gotta tell ya. People just will not leave them alone. Which lake does Oprah have a home on?

Hey, my BIL is a bonified war hero ... he was awarded the Bronze Star in Desert Storm and also for service in Iraq. Not fame, but I think it's more important to me than meeting Favre. Of course, he is also related to Erik The Red, which as you'll recall from an earlier page ... explains plenty!
Old 04-09-2008, 01:45 AM   #65
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Oh, that is scary. I was jokingly referring to the fact that my whole family is nuts! But they are pretty healthy nuts - only heart disease, which I am actually having a check-up for tomorrow. But no cancer except for a couple of kinds that generally come with old age. I do the monthly breast checks and I'm hoping that breastfeeding for 16 years gave me some protection. (Because it sure did a number gravity-wise on "the girls"!)
LOL: isn't gravity fun?????
Old 04-09-2008, 05:33 AM   #66
Sous Chef

My great grandfather was a famous Ayurvedic doctor or 'Vaidya'. His name was Late Gurucharan Sen.

A man was formed cataract in eyes and need to be operated but his condition was so bad that Indian medical College refused to operate him. My great grandfather operated his eyes by sharp bamboo lattices.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #67
Senior Cook

On my mother's side I'm a distant cousin of Gen. Robert E. Lee, and on my father's side I'm a distant cousin of Gen. (and President) Ullysses S. Grant.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #68
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I know what you are hinting at, but no, it doesn't automatically make them related to me. For instance, my Aunt Janet married a man named Ted. That makes him my uncle, and their kids are my cousins. But my cousins' are cousins to Uncle Ted's brother's and sisters' kids, but they aren't related to me. (Of course, this doesn't hold true in families whose, as Jeff Foxworthy says, family tree doesn't fork!).

Barbara

That makes sense. I didn't think of that. I call them cousins by marriage.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #69
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodfiend View Post
On my mother's side I'm a distant cousin of Gen. Robert E. Lee, and on my father's side I'm a distant cousin of Gen. (and President) Ullysses S. Grant.
Gosh, which side did you fight on?........jest kidding........that's a great combo
Old 04-12-2008, 03:06 AM   #70
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodfiend View Post
My best friend's dad is named Robert E Lee. Maybe ya'll are related, too!