"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-12-2008, 03:10 AM   #71
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
Where in WI are you? I've waited on Brett Favre, does that count?
I'd say it counts, for sure. My daughter served Tommy Lee Jones a frozen yogurt once and I count that! She also shopped at the same grocery store that Sandra Bullock did when she lived in Austin.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:18 AM   #72
Master Chef

well my only brush with celebrities was that I was introduced to Omar Sharif while living in Cairo and met him at the annual Scottish Ball.......his current wife was British........not too bad looking for his age and very courtly

Old 04-12-2008, 03:23 AM   #73
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
well my only brush with celebrities was that I was introduced to Omar Sharif while living in Cairo and met him at the annual Scottish Ball.......his current wife was British........not too bad looking for his age and very courtly
OMG, I've had a thing for Omar Sharif ever since I first saw Dr. Zhivago. Did you collapse into a swoon when you met him?
Old 04-12-2008, 03:57 AM   #74
Master Chef

yeah, I have to admit that he was quite dashing and his wife was very nice and pretty---blonde.......he loves to gamble by the way as well as being a renowned bridge player.....he's even written a book about bridge.......so he does more that look swashbuckling on a horse.....I loved him in Ghenghis Khan, too
Old 04-12-2008, 05:01 AM   #75
Senior Cook

Just a few

DH and I know Chad Reed, Supercross Rider, and his family personally. His Mum and Dad have been family friends for years. His cousin was our best man.

A friend of mine is first cousin to Hugh Jackman's wife, Deb.

As far as the family history goes, on mum's side we are English commoners and fourth descendants of the Lord of Bunratty Castle in Ireland on the other, and on Dad's side they have traced it back to the Vikings. Hmmm - Irish viking... that's an intriguing thought!!!

I have seen Princess Di and the Queen...
Old 04-12-2008, 06:33 AM   #76
Head Chef

Well, years ago, I was a busboy at an Italian restaurant and served water to the entire New York Islanders Hockey team ( this is when they won 4 or 5 stanley cups in a row). They used to have a stanley cup party there and bring the stanley cup itslef. I was about 16 and it was kinda cool. I remember billy smith, their goalie, was with a women. So me being a gentleman and professional, I filled the womans glass first. As I went to put it on the table in front of her, he grabbed it from my hand, chugged it down, then handed it to me to fill it up again. I thought how rude it was.

My kids went to the same private school as the kids of the lead singer of Twisted Sister (Dee Snyder) popular 80's band and the kids of Karate Kids Star Ralph Maccio. He actually lives the next town over and my kids often are invited to the same birthday parties as his kids are, but they are not mutual friends.

And finally, I babysitted for a boy who costarred in the movie " Lost In Yonkers" wih Richard Dreyfus. Unfortunately, the kid died soon after because of a complications of a blood transfusion.

Anyway, those are my brushes with fame ( not sure if they count either)
Old 04-12-2008, 07:32 AM   #77
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I'd say it counts, for sure. My daughter served Tommy Lee Jones a frozen yogurt once and I count that! She also shopped at the same grocery store that Sandra Bullock did when she lived in Austin.
Well, given that logic, I am related to Dolly Parton. LOL She told me, when I was 16 or 17, that she liked my dress. And James could claim a lot of people, including Jimmy Carter, John Glenn, Elizabeth Montgomery, Lucille Ball, and Tom Arnold (he went to school with Tom, but a year or 2 behind him).

Barbara
Old 04-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #78
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodfiend View Post
On my mother's side I'm a distant cousin of Gen. Robert E. Lee, and on my father's side I'm a distant cousin of Gen. (and President) Ullysses S. Grant.
That is really interesting! Did you write the song "Both Sides Now?"
Old 04-13-2008, 06:14 PM   #79
DC Grandma

Foodfriend...in Ga.
My maiden name was Sherman...married a southern "boy'
Marge

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #80
Executive Chef

I went to university with the Housemartins.