Famous Family

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think we have a lot of infamous ones too. When you shake my family tree, only nuts fall out.
Seriously, by adoption I am related to Edgar Allan Poe. Since I enjoy writing I'm really proud of that; he's one of my favorites.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Too funny--my family's nuts fall alongside yours, shortchef--only some of them "MARRY" the squirrels that come foraging!! As far as writing and books I have 2 "out-laws" that brag about the fact that they never visited the library while in college----yeah, isn't that something to be proud of?:rolleyes:

wow Geebs, that is quite a developing story you have. Whod a thunk you may have a Globetrotter in your ancestry?:LOL:

I have been researching my family for several years and have uncovered quite a bit, just on the internet. I am descended from 8 families who sailed with William Penn's fleet of ships in 1682, they are on both my mom's and dad's side of the family. I am NOT descended from any family on the Mayflower. I am a proud member of The Daughters of the American Revolution; my 4 greats grandfather Ichabod Wilkinson served in that war. I have 4 ancestors who served in the American Revolution, but you have to be able to prove your ancestry, generation by generation, in order to apply for membership.

Probably the most astonishing fact I learned from the internet is that another 4 greats grandfather, in 1832, built a house in Logan County Ohio, with secret compartments, expressly to house slaves escaping on the Underground Railroad. That story was not passed down through the family. It took me a while to confirm that this was my direct ancestor, but it was.

A great great grandfather worked for 38 years for the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Department of the Interior, from 1870 until his death in 1908. It was this fellow that got me into genealogy. I had just taken possession of some of his collected artifacts, when I realized I knew nothing about this man. Well, 2 stories had been passed down about him, but neither was true.

And the most interesting and mysterious family character is one of my great grandfathers, Ralph Wesley Clayton. His obituary states he worked for the US Secret Service and by the time of his death in 1918, had visited every capital in the world. The obituary states "no publication of his personal connections therewith was ever made and there remains of this service only the valued reports filed away securely in the national archives, along with the vast volumns of that character of the public service known as "state secrets."" I have never been able to verify this claim, which must have been written or submitted by his wife, my great grandmother, at the time of his death. I have been to the national archives in Maryland and only found one letter, between him and the secret service director. I have only found his name on one ships manifest, in 1908. I was communicating with the archives at the secret service department, but after 9/11, the department was moved to homeland security and all communication has ceased.

I have found some American Indian blood on both sides of my family, but that is about impossible to trace, they kept no written records of their genealogy.

MY father was the accountant for the guy who owned " zippy the chimp" who did the toss across commercials in the 70's. He said one day when he went there to do business, the monkey had the same outfit that i had on. Hmmm, maybe im related to zippy.

I just checked with dad and we were not related to Abe. Grandpa was talking about a family member actually playing on the team.

My grade school science teacher was Mr. Harris, aka Millard Harris. He played for the Globetrotters back in the day. When we were taking written tests, he would take the ball out from the file drawer of his desk and quietly twirl and spin it around. :LOL: If you were acting up, he would get your attention by tossing the ball on your desk. "WHAM!" :LOL:

This was the 80's, you couldn't get away with that stuff now. He was a great teacher.

MY father was the accountant for the guy who owned " zippy the chimp" who did the toss across commercials in the 70's. He said one day when he went there to do business, the monkey had the same outfit that i had on. Hmmm, maybe im related to zippy.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Either Zippy had very good taste in clothes or yours left something to be desired!

Occasionally, some of my family members are pictured in most Post Offices across the country. I really can't talk about them while the Grand Jury is in session.:LOL:

Joe

My Mothers Father was killed trying to save another Coal Miner in 1919. Before that he was one of Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders.

My husbands nephew was the set designer on the Perry Mason Show. The old ones...(I know..they are all old) When Charlie passed Raymond Burr sent his family $1000.00 to pay for his headstone. Then Raymond passed about a year later.Charles is probably still his right hand man. :)

My hubby has an uncle in Oaklahoma City, who is a DA and participated in the Timothy McVay trials. He was on TV quite a bit back then. I think that is about as far as the fame goes in my family!

I'm not related to anyone that I know of, but my cousin (who I haven't seen since around 1964) is a cousin of actor Russ Tamblyn ("West Side Story," "Twin Peaks," and dad of Amber Tamblyn).

:)Barbara

Larry, if you say that it was a dental coat that Zippy was wearing I'd be seriously worried............:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (so should the public!!)

No relation, but Larry the Cable Guy owns a home on a lake close to here. And there's a rumor that Oprah Winfrey owns a home on the most prestigious lake around here. And Brett Favre is on the computer background. Do those count for anything? :LOL:

I'm not related to anyone that I know of, but my cousin (who I haven't seen since around 1964) is a cousin of actor Russ Tamblyn ("West Side Story," "Twin Peaks," and dad of Amber Tamblyn).

Hi, New House Lady,

If Russ is related to your cousin and you're related to your cousin...

Hey Barbara..My classmate played Chino in West Side Story. His name was Jose De Vega he was a Choreography, Actor. (Passed away with Aids in 1990) My younger sis crashed my 25th Reunion in San Diego at the Bahia Hotel..we have a picture taken with him. 30 years and twice that many pounds ago...LOL

Hi, New House Lady,

If Russ is related to your cousin and you're related to your cousin...
I know what you are hinting at, but no, it doesn't automatically make them related to me. For instance, my Aunt Janet married a man named Ted. That makes him my uncle, and their kids are my cousins. But my cousins' are cousins to Uncle Ted's brother's and sisters' kids, but they aren't related to me. :-p (Of course, this doesn't hold true in families whose, as Jeff Foxworthy says, family tree doesn't fork!).

Last edited:
I know what you are hinting at, but no, it doesn't automatically make them related to me. For instance, my Aunt Janet married a man named Ted. That makes him my uncle, and their kids are my cousins. But my cousins' are cousins to Uncle Ted's brother's and sisters' kids, but they aren't related to me. :-p (Of course, this doesn't hold true in families whose, as Jeff Foxworthy says, family tree doesn't fork!).

hahahaha! talk about overgrown roots. My grandfather's sister married my grandmother's brother and between the two families they had 13 children who are known as double cousins. I remember when I was 16 and met the cutest boy and was told that I couldn't date him because he was my double second cousin? Say what? When I told him he left me in a cloud of dust ................ahhhhh Green Acres if the life for me...........:ROFLMAO:

LOL expat! My two cousins (sisters) married brothers (the younger sister married the older brother and the older sister married [duh!] the younger brother). Only one of them had kids though, so no kissing cousins there! :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom