Fast food: Advertisement vs Reality study...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A number of years ago I saw a You Tube on all the little tricks food stylists use to make the food more appealing. Stop me in my tracks of purchasing fast foods. In the summer when I am sitting at the beach working on my sewing, BK is right across the street. I only purchase a large orange soda.

This past week I also read that BG and McD's are the only two fast foods that are still serving meats from animals that are injected with antibiotics and other medications. They both stated that the practice will cease in 2019. Tyson's Chickens are another company that have been heavily fined for many offenses across the board.

Has anyone ever taken a picture of a sandwich ad into the fast food store, ordered the sandwich, and when they received the sandwich pulled out the ad and said “that’s not what I ordered, this is!” and refused to pay or demanded a refund?

Do the print ads for these fast food places have a disclaimer on them saying “actual product may look different?” Has anyone ever sued any of these companies for false advertising?

Has anyone ever taken a picture of a sandwich ad into the fast food store, ordered the sandwich, and when they received the sandwich pulled out the ad and said “that’s not what I ordered, this is!” and refused to pay or demanded a refund?

I almost did that. Jack in the Box used to make a delicious Breakfast Jack. Nowadays, the bun they use is unappealing and smushed down flat, nothing like the pictured ad. Also, their Sourdough Jack ad shows nicely toasted sourdough bread. Nowadays, the bread isn't toasted at all, it's spongy.

I stopped at Wendy's for a cheeseburger and a soda. The cheeseburger was so unappealing that I couldn't even take a bite. I gave it back to the server, told her in a loud enough voice for several people to hear, to "give it to the next sucker in line." I then walked out. The manager heard me, came outside and asked me what was the problem.

I didn't even ask for my money back. The manager gave me a fistful of coupons for free Wendy's Meals. I never went back to use them.

Has anyone ever taken a picture of a sandwich ad into the fast food store, ordered the sandwich, and when they received the sandwich pulled out the ad and said “that’s not what I ordered, this is!” ...

I think I saw a YouTube video of a guy who did that.

I don't do much "styling" on my food shots I post here, because I want to eat the food. :ohmy:

The few times I have worked with food stylists, the food is not edible after the photos are done.

I got a particular chuckle from the In-N-Out burgers. They are pretty good burgers, but they do look like a train wreck. :LOL:

CD

This is nothing new, doctored up food pics have been around for decades. :) I was going through some of my late mom's old Good Housekeeping magazines, and some of the pics from back then were pretty funny....
Some of the food was pretty strange, even without staging.

Fast food burger joints still make burgers better than I can at home.

Proprietary ingredients and methods.

However, when ordering inside a Carl's Jr. at the counter, I'd rather not be able to see into the kitchen area where you see them composing your burger. I'd rather not see that. I don't need to see that.

Addie, you may have gotten a bad cheeseburger at Wendy's, was it just a cheeseburger? Wendy's #1 with cheese has always been consistently good with me.

Last edited:
Fast food burger joints still make burgers better than I can at home.

Proprietary ingredients and methods.

However, when ordering inside a Carl's Jr. at the counter, I'd rather not be able to see into the kitchen area where you see them composing your burger. I'd rather not see that. I don't need to see that.

Addie, you may have gotten a bad cheeseburger at Wendy's, was it just a cheeseburger? Wendy's #1 with cheese has always been consistently good with me.

It was during lunch hour and I noticed that they were taking them out of the microwave. Lesson learned. Now if I want to stop somewhere for lunch, 11:00 is the right time to go. Before the rush.

Why do you think they make you pay before you get your food?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom