Fatal Shooting at Virginia Tech

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been out of the country for two weeks... haven't watched tv at all. I get home last night and turn the tv on this morning... this is the first thing I see. TV IS OFF. Sadness.

Our son has a step daughter who goes to Virginia Tech. She is okay, thank God, but pretty devastated. We can only pray for the victims and their families as well as their Tech family that time will help in healing their grief.

If you were watching the news this morning, two of the first responders to the dorm shooting had NO IDEA they were going into a crime scene. They got a call to the dorm about a fall from a loft and walked into the room and found 2 gunshot victims. They then called for backup! This straight from the paramedics mouths! Now if the EMTs didn't know there were gunshot victims, how were the campus police to react?

lyndalou said:
Our son has a step daughter who goes to Virginia Tech. She is okay, thank God, but pretty devastated. We can only pray for the victims and their families as well as their Tech family that time will help in healing their grief.

We have just watched (in the UK) a most moving memorial service broadcast straight from Virginia Tech. In days to come I'm sure it will prove a comfort to relatives and friends of the victims.

We listened to the memorial service at work and it was touching. So much sadness. I am so in awe of the professor who lost his life trying to save his students. I hope those of you with friends at loved ones at VT get good news.

I keep tearing up. Thinking about the families of the victims.. So tragic. Our kids aren't safe in any learning institution. It's scary.

csalt said:
Tattrat...what news on your friend's son?

Son is alive, but NOT uninjured. Didn't want to pry for details, but apparently he was very shook up, understandably. I am sure she will talk when she is ready.

She was very upset at how the school handled things and said she did not find out until almost 11 o'clock pm last night.

It is hard to console someone in that situation. Sure it is a silver lining, but at tremendous costs, and still does not take away from the gravity of the situation.

I'm so sorry.
There seems to be so much more emerging about how things were handled.
All you can do is just be there for her when and if she wants to talk about it.
I hope her son is not too badly injured physically. The mental scars will probably always remain.
She must have been at her wits end waiting for news. Again, I am so sorry.

TATTRAT said:
It is a very surreal atmosphere here in Hampton Roads. Very sad and tragic. One of the ladies at our hotel still has not heard from her son, who is a student at VT.

Very crazy.

Oh god that is terrible!

well, as it turns out he was shot in the arm. he was treated in as out patient. He is back in Virginia Beach and staying with Mae, his mom.

I can not imagine sitting there as a witness, and then become a victim. Just mind boggling.

my thoughts remain will all effected families and persons.

We have all been so shocked by this here in New Zealand, it has occupied much space on TV and radio. Tattrat, I do hope all is well with your friends son. This world is just so small.

I found this yesterday in a blog and thought it was certainly worth sharing it here. It says it all.:(

THAT'S NOT MY SCHOOL</U></B>

I sit in shock, and feel waves of sadness as I listen to the news
Of the tragedy that came today
To my school
I fight the tears and feel for the parents, friends and lovers
Of those lost today
At my school
I get angry at the news hounds trying to place blame and make sense
Out of the madness that happened
At my school
And I want to scream out "That's not my school!"
That's not the place of absolute beauty in a fall day
Of Hokiestone buildings, mountain settings, students and of course
Football, basketball and all the social events
That we remember so well
I will remember the loss, the hurt and pain, forever
I will hope for a memorial, different but hauntingly beautiful
Like the War Memorial
So we can remember those lost and wounded both physically and mentally
I will not forget to cherish the life we have to live
To hold my children dear in this world of no safe place
But I will not let this un-comprehensible disaster ruin what I hold on to
THAT'S NOT MY SCHOOL!
My school is a place of hope, acceptance, sharing and learning
My school is a place of honor, dignity, fairness and reward for hard work
My school is a place where `doing it right' is more important that `win at all costs'
My school is a place where we will remember our past,
And have high hopes for tomorrow
My school is a place to see the future in the faces and people that walk the campus
My school is Virginia Tech
And I am proud to say `THAT'S MY SCHOOL!'

Back
Top Bottom