"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
Anything Miyazaki/Ghibli studios puts out is great.I enjoy them as much as the kids.
My favorites are probably Porco Rosso,Totoro and Graveyard of the Fireflys.
OMG I wasn't even going to post in this topic until I read your reply! I'm a really enthusiastic Hiyao Miyizaki fan!

My favorites:

Spirited Away (my first ever Miyazaki movie, a mind blower!)
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
Howl's Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke

I guess I liked cartoons when I was a kid but these Miyazaki epics can be appreciated by any age from 9-90.

Part of my appreciation of Miyazaki (and Ghibli Studios which has produced several of his works) is that the animation is such an art feast. The art in this kind of anime just boggles my mind.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Road Runner and Wyle E. Coyote then and now!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post

I second that!
I also loved Disney as a kid. PAG could tell you. My Little Mermaid obsession was a bit painful for the rest of my family when I was a wee one. I like lots of cartoon characters, though.

Some of my favorites:
Calvin and Hobbs
The characters from the online comic "Count Your Sheep"
Jack-jack from the Incredibles
Max from the original animated Grinch movie
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

i think we're getting confused between cartoon strips and animation.

either way, i can't count how many old animated cartoon characters i loved. i've watched cartoons my whole life, except for the realistic japanese anime stuff. i prefer silliness, wise cracks, and innuendo, not more drama.

in this, i'm now a big fan of mordecai and rigby, skips, pops, and muscle man from "regular show".

and finn and jake, marcelene, bubblegum princess, lumpy space princess, and the ice king from "adventure time".

i like the new looney tunes. it's more centered around a self absorbed daffy duck, and it's really funny. the only difference between the characters of the 60's and today is they made the balloon house-dressed witch with the tiny boots and frizzy hair too have the voice of a wise cracking african american woman. all other characters are the same.

i also like the show "total drama island", and "total drama: revenge of the island". it's "survivor" in cartoon form, for kids.

if you have 7 to 10 year olds, ask them what i mean. i'm a big hit at boring cub scout meetings because i can do the voices of skips, pops, and lumpy space princess perfectly, usually making fun of what is so boring, lol. the kids eat it up and are shocked that an old guy knows their thing.

i still like "spongebob", and of course, "the simpsons". and "family guy".

i only recently got into "south park". i became a fan with the mormom episode. dum dum dum dum dummmmm. (sorry chief longwind).

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Oh my goodness, I can't believe I forgot. I looooove Cheese from Foster's Home for imaginary friends. And Coco. And Eduardo. And Mac. Ok, so almost everyone from the show. It's actually my favorite; I can't believe I didn't mention it in my earlier post.
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Buon Giorno, Ladies and Gents,

Thanks very much for all your replies ...

Ciao,
Happy Fatherīs Day
& A lovely Wkend is wished to all,
Margi.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I used to watch Deputy Dawg, Heckle and Jeckle, Huckleberry Hound and all his crew,
Popeye, and, of course, all the Warner Bros. bunch.
I am a big fan of Robert Crumb as well.
I just can't seem to figger out how to appreciate some of the newer offerings this day and time.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
+1 Just thinking about those two makes me laugh. All I can think of when I think of them is ACME "something," most especially dynamite.

Today's animated offerings are just too either brain-numbing stupid or violent for me.

Just give me some plain, old silly slapstick animation and I'm happy.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Disney characters were my favorite growing up. My mom would take me to Disney movies, and my dad would take me to Star Wars.

I was wearing a Mickey Mouse shirt last night, I went to a movie night at a friend's house and their 18 month old kid was wearing the same shirt. He comes over as if he is possessed and points at my shirt, I kneel down and he says "mucka mush" and wanted everyone to see that we had the same shirt on, LOL! It was really cute.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #20
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
OMG I wasn't even going to post in this topic until I read your reply! I'm a really enthusiastic Hiyao Miyizaki fan!

My favorites:

Spirited Away (my first ever Miyazaki movie, a mind blower!)
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
Howl's Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke

I guess I liked cartoons when I was a kid but these Miyazaki epics can be appreciated by any age from 9-90.

Part of my appreciation of Miyazaki (and Ghibli Studios which has produced several of his works) is that the animation is such an art feast. The art in this kind of anime just boggles my mind.
I would rather watch any of them over the new Disney stuff. Nausicaa is a great one. I like them all so it is hard to pick favorites. Have you seen Arietty yet. We saw it in the theatres and it was just as good as any of the others. I have the entire collection on DVD. There are some box sets you can get for cheap on Amazon.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote