"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post

I've only read a couple of Dean Koontz. I loved the Watcher. Read another one that was good but the title escapes me. I read a weird one and that sort of did it for him for me. I'll look it up again.
Was it Strangers? To this day, it remains one of my favorites.

I also love John Irving. His characters are so freaking weird but I love them.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #12
Head Chef

Jabbur, I agree with you about Dean Koontz, especially the Odd Thomas series. I think he is very under-rated, as is Stephen King. Love them both. I just finished Stephen King's Duma Key. Rich and creepy. Memorable book.

One of my favorite authors is Ruth Rendell, who also writes as Barbara Vine. She is British, and her novels are pretty dark. I just finished The Chimney Sweep's Boy. Some of them have been presented on PBS's "Mystery." Oh, and also Minette Walters. Similar genre. The Sculptress is very good.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
Everymom

For a while I was into all the oldies. I really liked Dorothy L Sayers. I recently got back into Carolyn Hart too.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
Master Chef

I, too, love the Odd series of Koontz. I'm a huge fan of almost all murder mysteries, from the dark to the funny. Like both Kellermans, and was disapointed when she seemed to try to go dark instead of her usual series. Love the oldies that others have mentioned, the mysteries from the 20s, 30s, 40s. I love series set in locations I've visited or lived in, but also love those set in places I'll never see -- there is a series set in India, one in Bangkok, for example. I love different cultural/religious settings as well, from the various Catholic priests, the rabbis, the Episcopalian ministers, the Amish. Then there are ones that are translations; some I love, some are more difficult. I've read murder mysteries translated from Dutch, French, Hindi, Japanese, and that is just off the top of my head.

But, in fact, just like I could never tell you my favorite food, I couldn't possibly tell you a favorite author or book. It is like comparing apples and oranges. Huh? No, it is like comparing apples and sushi. Right now I found some books on Amazon to read to a blind lady I read, and we're on "Vows: A Priest, A Nun and Their Son." promises to be interesting.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:28 PM   #15
Everymom

Oh Claire, thanks for the memory prod. Have you ever read any Lindsay Davis? Her Falco mysteries? Set in Vespasian's Rome, Falco is a detective of sorts, and I really loved all of those books. Oh and I liked the Amelia Peabody mysteries by Elizabeth Peters too. The older ones more so than the new ones, but those are OK too.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:29 AM   #16
Master Chef

... and here I thought I'd read them all. No, never heard of Davis and Falco. Gee, you'd think with reading something like a dozen or two books a week I'd have read it all. Will look for them! No, just a minute. Those little gray cells are working. The ones set in ancient Rome? Yes, I have, just haven't seen one recently. Yes, I like the Peabody ones, and agree that I like the older ones. The more recent ones seem more centered on the romances of her son than the adventures of their intreped mother.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
IMO one of the finest books ever written was "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole. He committed suicide before it was published. His mother later hounded publishers and one finally relented. He won a posthumous Pulitzer Prize for it.

Two of my other favorite authors are David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs.

And Ann Rule for true crime.
I read "Confederacy" sometime in the 80's. It is a memorable book. I loaned it to a friend who had previously lived in New Orleans, knowing she'd identify with part of it, but not knowing what she'd think of the book as a whole. That book got passed around to half the people in my neighborhood.

Thank you for mentioning it. It's special and it's time to read it again.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #18
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
... and here I thought I'd read them all. No, never heard of Davis and Falco. Gee, you'd think with reading something like a dozen or two books a week I'd have read it all. Will look for them! No, just a minute. Those little gray cells are working. The ones set in ancient Rome? Yes, I have, just haven't seen one recently. Yes, I like the Peabody ones, and agree that I like the older ones. The more recent ones seem more centered on the romances of her son than the adventures of their intreped mother.
Yes Claire I agree. And the intrepid Amelia is what I read the books for! LOL. Did you ever read Alexander McCall? I hear he is good but I haven't read any yet.

OK, how about a couple of oldies but goodies. Desmond Bagley and Alistair MacLean.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
Victoria Holt - gothic romance
James Patterson... I like him.. but he's getting to be cookie cutter with books coming out so often writing so many with other people that I only read the CROSS books now.

John Saul... scary ( he makes the bad kids of today seem like good little boys and girls) EASY reading..

gosh wish we lived close, we could share, yours are my favorites as well. haven't read any saul though in a long time. just finished a cross book and also one by patterson.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Holt too? Never have found anyone else that likes her.