"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #31
Everymom

Bump. Time Travellers Wife? Audrey Niffenegger (I think) was the author. She has a picture book out too but I loved the story.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #32
Everymom

Well poo. No more readers? No one interested?

Old 01-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #33
Executive Chef

I'm still interested. This is your thread, Alix, so would it be OK if we discussed specific books that we are reading? For example, I just finished a John Irving book, "Until I Find You". I loved it, as I love most of his books. They all feel familiar to me because he always brings some common themes into each of his novels. Wrestling, absent fathers, Exeter. Still, I can never figure out why I love his characters so much because they are all so weird. (I'm sure most of you remember "The World According To Garp".) This book was especially disturbing because there was child sexual abuse in it, which he handled very well and was well researched. Anyway, anyone else read this book? What did you think?
Old 01-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #34
Everymom

Yep yep yep! All book/author info is greatly welcomed. I sometimes feel like I get in a reading rut and I'd love to have a handy reference for some new stuff.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #35
Everymom

Oh and I haven't read that one as I tend to avoid any reference to child sexual abuse (I work with kids who've lived it so it hits too close to the bone for me) I couldn't read Kite Runner for that very reason.

I also meant to mention Robert B Parker. He came leaping to mind when you mentioned the recurring themes of wrestling etc. RBP does boxing stuff in his.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Does anybody like Robert McCammon? His are along the super-natural line. My favorites are Swan Song, Boy's Life and Gone South. Even though I read these years ago, my son Nick just told me he is reading Swan Song right now. It's a very good book, similar in story line to Stephen King's The Last Stand. Boy's Life is probably my favorite, though.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #37
Master Chef

I am reading the Twilight books. Yeah, I know, suppose to be for kids, but, they are GOOD!!lol Finished Twilight in a day and half, will start New Moon tomorrow, lol
Old 02-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #38
Everymom

FM, never read him but I will put him on my "look for" list. Tx.

TG, I LOVED those books. And hey...Harry Potter was supposed to be for kids too. I sometimes think the juvenile literature out there is better than the adult stuff. Tamora Pierce is juvenile too and I love her stuff too.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #39
Master Chef

I'm a dreamer, always have been lol I love fantasy stuff.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #40
Everymom

You will like Tamora Pierce then. Read the Protector of the Small series. Loved it.