"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #31
Master Chef

classes........

Old 06-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #32
Head Chef

Expat girl, I can certainly identify with what you have said about books. They were my friends. I can remember standing in front of a shelf of library books when I was about 9 and thinking,"Someone wrote each one of these books just for me to read. I should read them all." And I tried. I was a solitary child and I travelled in many worlds, like you.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #33
Cook

I know you are going to laugh at this but go ahead, I am used to it. I remember when I was a kid my dad would bring home these HUGE boxes used to cover refrigerators. They were heavy, thick and much stronger than the boxes typically used today. I would spend hours creating a fort, space ship or just a private hideaway, cutting holes for windows and making a doorway in. Using magic markers I would make the inside anything I wanted and it was more fun than any toy they could have bought. I saw a photo the other day my mom took back in the early 60's of one of my "Space Ships". It was quite an invention and I remember friends begging for me to "let them in".

Creativity in that regards is lost with a lot of kids today. They just turn on the video game...
Old 06-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #34
Master Chef

one of my fondest memories of my Dad was him taking several large boxes. taping them together and making us a fort.........he had so little time for us being in the Army so it was memorable..........we were the stars of the neighborhood that week........
Old 06-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Expat girl, I can certainly identify with what you have said about books. They were my friends. I can remember standing in front of a shelf of library books when I was about 9 and thinking,"Someone wrote each one of these books just for me to read. I should read them all." And I tried. I was a solitary child and I travelled in many worlds, like you.
books are one thing that I go nuts over.....and spend the most $$$ on.....my DH and I spend a fortune on books and everyday cost of living expenses......neither of us are into designer clothes, high end personal maitenance, jewelry, etc., etc, so books are where the $$$ goes.....I don't even look at the bill when I check out these days....if I see a book that I want I buy it.....so does he......only he won't ever get rid of it.....so we now have 5000 of his books taking up space (and it's Science Fiction which I don't read) and 50 of mine if you don't count the cookbooks
Old 06-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo View Post
I know you are going to laugh at this but go ahead, I am used to it. I remember when I was a kid my dad would bring home these HUGE boxes used to cover refrigerators. They were heavy, thick and much stronger than the boxes typically used today. I would spend hours creating a fort, space ship or just a private hideaway, cutting holes for windows and making a doorway in. Using magic markers I would make the inside anything I wanted and it was more fun than any toy they could have bought. I saw a photo the other day my mom took back in the early 60's of one of my "Space Ships". It was quite an invention and I remember friends begging for me to "let them in".

Creativity in that regards is lost with a lot of kids today. They just turn on the video game...
Are you kidding? We loved doing that!! That is the best thing in the world to do when your a kid! You can make it anything you want it to be!! I had one that was a car. Door opened and everything, lol. Sat it on a skate board and friends and I took turns pushing each other
Thank you for bringing that memory to the surface!!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #37
Master Chef

I know what you mean TXgirl......my dad was the "Dad of the Year" for doing that.....
Old 06-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:

I won't laugh. I will completely back you up on that one. I remember when my folks got a new fridge. We must have played with that box for at least a year. That was the best fort ever.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:

Not laughin' here! Just wish I had a great big box to play in this afternoon.

Always loved playing with big boxes and played with them until they were as floppy as a linen hankie and in shreds. Nothing like sliding down a huge hill inside a big old box!!! I put many miles on boxes doing that.

What a great memory to bring forward!! Thanks.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
LOL!!!!

My kids are out in the backyard right now in a big box!!!!