"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #71
Head Chef

We used to hit the caps with rocks.

Loved Barbie, Midge, Ken and the whole gang.
Baby dolls, Jane West doll, dolls, dolls, dolls.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:15 AM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
We did that too. Occasionally though, if you did it wrong, the powder could get trapped under a thumbnail and give you a good burn.

I used to tape a strip accross my bb-catcher bullseye and shoot them with my bb gun from about 20 yards away. Maybe that's how I got to be a pretty good shot with rifles.

You don't want to know what we did with firecrackers. I never told my kids about those adventures and shenanigans. Think of dark summer nights, with arrows flying staight up, fircrackers with lit fuses tied to the arrow shafts, and not knowing where that arrow would land. Hey, we were kids, indistructable and immortal.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
ok, this is getting kinda weird, i admit it.

we used to do all of those things.

i remember those under-the-nail burns from scraping caps. what about finding the few un-exploded firecrackers from a spent pack on the morning of july 5th, with really short fuses? how many of those went off in your hand and gave you "fred flinstone fingers"?
my mom never had to wake me up early that day, and she never knew why.

ozzy practiced a lot with the bb guns. he put a bb between my toes once, right through the top of my sneaker. he was trying to wing my foot after i sat sat down in front of him in his room, and put my feet up blocking the tv. i remember feeling something hot between my big toe and (whaddya call the index toe? it's not like you point with it...) the next one. i thought i had a bug in my sock, so i freaked out hopping around. he thought he really hurt my foot because he pumped the bb gun so many times.

and what about "percussive bat hunting"? in a large field surrounded by woods, using a wrist rocket to launch larger ordinance into the sky (cherry bombs, m-80's, etc.) and watch the bats dive on it. if you had nerve and waited long enough on the fuse, it would detonate about 40 or 50 feet overhead, just as a bat dove in. the stunned bats would drop to the ground, and we'd run up to it with flashlights and sticks, poking away and examining der fledermaus until it woke up and arose "like a bat outta he11" through our circle. we screamed and ran, and then started over.

ahhhh, good times.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:32 AM   #73
Master Chef

First a bicycle, then a moped. We lived 12 miles outside of town, it was the only way to get into town to play. Got a 22 carbine when I was 14 and a shotgun when I was 15, used em to hunt. Never played with guns or treated them with disrespect.
Dad's gun powder, that was another story. Me and a friend really got into making home made RPG's and bombs. Blew up a cement silo (it was old to begin with) by the time we were thru (don't tell Homeland Insecurity!). My friend even took a chunk out of his leg when his RPG jammed and went off. Made the Des Moines Register, and he blamed it all on McGuyver!
I think I used up all my Karma and luck just getting out of childhood alive...
Old 06-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #74
Head Chef

I played Monopoly against my stuffed animals.

I always won.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #75
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
...and what about "percussive bat hunting"? in a large field surrounded by woods, using a wrist rocket to launch larger ordinance into the sky (cherry bombs, m-80's, etc.) and watch the bats dive on it. if you had nerve and waited long enough on the fuse, it would detonate about 40 or 50 feet overhead, just as a bat dove in. the stunned bats would drop to the ground, and we'd run up to it with flashlights and sticks, poking away and examining der fledermaus until it woke up and arose "like a bat outta he11" through our circle. we screamed and ran, and then started over.

ahhhh, good times.
Never did the bats. There weren't enough of them flying in the night skies in the gravel pits. Now if I'd gone over to the cemetary at night, there were lot of bugs winging through the air. I would have had a better chance.

But we did shoot at the cliff swallows that made their nests at the top of the gravel pits. We'd stomp on the ground above the pits and they'd come out dive-bombing us. It was uncanny the way they could just dodge the bb's at will.

We did have to hide, tuck, and run in the cemetary though for lighting off M-80's at night. My partner in crime was the son of the cemetary caretaker. His Dad came out with a truck and spotlight looking for "the maniac shooting up tombstones with a shotgun". A busy-body neighbor had called him and told him that story. We didn't get caught. Those headstones made great places to duck behind when the spotlight came too close. We headed for the woods, made a quick trip westward for a half-mile to the next road, and then walked back to the house as if we were just walking back from town, a 5-mile walk that we made frequently in the summer. Hitch-hiking wasn't so dangerous back then.

BT, we've got to hook up by phone and exchange stories, or open another thread for those youthful adventures. I'm still amazed at how close our lives mirror each other, and with both of us even having the same birthday. It's like you're my other half, just as mischiveious, and hair brained. But I got the looks. Sorry 'bout that bro.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote