Favorite childhood toy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
  • Our 3 dogs - they went everywhere my brother and I went.
this doesn't sound right. lol

yes, i'm childish...:mrgreen:

i loved my g.i. joe's. especially when they came out with life-like hair and beard. i had the best joe around because of an accident. i managed to scrape off some of his beard one day playing too rough, so i found one of my dad's safety razors and finished the job, leaving my g.i. joe with a funky fu-manchu moustache. this was around 1972, so weird facial hair meant that you were anti-establishment, and therefore cool. all of my friends wanted to know where i got the "special edition" joe.

i even taught myself to sew (really just cave-man stitching) with my g.i. joe.
i remember liking all of the neat uniforms and gear that was available for them, but i couldn't afford it. also, i was into spiderman. so i took some red and blue felt, and raided my mom's sewing box and found a permanent marker and got to work.
i then had the only g.i. joe with a (trademark infringement :cool:) spiderman costume, complete with mask.

those were good days.

then i got a little older, and my friends and cousins and i built vietnamese looking villiages in the woods across the street from my house, put our g.i. joe's in their jeeps and helicopters and blew everything up or set it on fire.

it was our apocalypse now.

then i got a little older, and my friends and cousins and i built vietnamese looking villiages in the woods across the street from my house, put our g.i. joe's in their jeeps and helicopters and blew everything up or set it on fire.

it was our apocalypse now.

A pond came into being with every springtime snow melt near the top of one the gravel pits (the one with the cliff that I used to jump off of). We'd dig a small trench from the pone to the cliff edge and create a waterfall. Then we'd dam it up and build a village down in the pit, about twenty feet from the waterfall. We'd then build a humongous (at least for an eleven year old boy) dam that would catch the water and hold it from spreading, creating a four foot deep by seven foot diameter pool. We then broke the dam at the top and let the pool fill until it eventually overflowed and collapsed, destroying the village. Then we'd start over. We'd come home so wet and coverd in sand that we'd have to change out in the cold garage before we were allowed in the house to clean up the rest of the way. And we did this in 35 to 45 degree weather, oblivious to the cold all day.

Now you know why I'm Goodweed of the North, and why I overheat in anything above 82 or so degrees.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

sit-&-spin was awesome! so were kiddo strollers & playpens & stuff for my dolls. & pong!
sheesh, we'd be fine if it was okay to play with toys as adults! can't wait till i'm a Mom!

Last edited:
My stuffed animals!! All of them! I would take turns every night on which ones slept with me in the bed, lol.

favorite childhood toy.......if you consider books a distraction then that would be it......took me away from all the turmoil going on in my life....visited many lands and lived many cultures in my books.....please give your children lots of books......

what were those in your days, luvs??? We only had advanced clases in English and math........kids learned fast that it just meant more homework......nothing advanced at all........no killing each other to get into colleges......course it was easier to get into colleges then, too.......

Expat girl, I can certainly identify with what you have said about books. They were my friends. I can remember standing in front of a shelf of library books when I was about 9 and thinking,"Someone wrote each one of these books just for me to read. I should read them all." And I tried. I was a solitary child and I travelled in many worlds, like you.

I know you are going to laugh at this but go ahead, I am used to it. I remember when I was a kid my dad would bring home these HUGE boxes used to cover refrigerators. They were heavy, thick and much stronger than the boxes typically used today. I would spend hours creating a fort, space ship or just a private hideaway, cutting holes for windows and making a doorway in. Using magic markers I would make the inside anything I wanted and it was more fun than any toy they could have bought. I saw a photo the other day my mom took back in the early 60's of one of my "Space Ships". It was quite an invention and I remember friends begging for me to "let them in".

Creativity in that regards is lost with a lot of kids today. They just turn on the video game...

one of my fondest memories of my Dad was him taking several large boxes. taping them together and making us a fort.........he had so little time for us being in the Army so it was memorable..........we were the stars of the neighborhood that week........

Expat girl, I can certainly identify with what you have said about books. They were my friends. I can remember standing in front of a shelf of library books when I was about 9 and thinking,"Someone wrote each one of these books just for me to read. I should read them all." And I tried. I was a solitary child and I travelled in many worlds, like you.

books are one thing that I go nuts over.....and spend the most $$$ on.....my DH and I spend a fortune on books and everyday cost of living expenses......neither of us are into designer clothes, high end personal maitenance, jewelry, etc., etc, so books are where the $$$ goes.....I don't even look at the bill when I check out these days....if I see a book that I want I buy it.....so does he......only he won't ever get rid of it.....so we now have 5000 of his books taking up space (and it's Science Fiction which I don't read) and 50 of mine if you don't count the cookbooks:LOL:

I know you are going to laugh at this but go ahead, I am used to it. I remember when I was a kid my dad would bring home these HUGE boxes used to cover refrigerators. They were heavy, thick and much stronger than the boxes typically used today. I would spend hours creating a fort, space ship or just a private hideaway, cutting holes for windows and making a doorway in. Using magic markers I would make the inside anything I wanted and it was more fun than any toy they could have bought. I saw a photo the other day my mom took back in the early 60's of one of my "Space Ships". It was quite an invention and I remember friends begging for me to "let them in".

Creativity in that regards is lost with a lot of kids today. They just turn on the video game...

Are you kidding? We loved doing that!! That is the best thing in the world to do when your a kid! You can make it anything you want it to be!! I had one that was a car. Door opened and everything, lol. Sat it on a skate board and friends and I took turns pushing each other:LOL:
Thank you for bringing that memory to the surface!!!!

I won't laugh. I will completely back you up on that one. I remember when my folks got a new fridge. We must have played with that box for at least a year. That was the best fort ever.

Not laughin' here! Just wish I had a great big box to play in this afternoon.:LOL:

Always loved playing with big boxes and played with them until they were as floppy as a linen hankie and in shreds. Nothing like sliding down a huge hill inside a big old box!!! I put many miles on boxes doing that.

What a great memory to bring forward!! Thanks.

LOL!!!!

My kids are out in the backyard right now in a big box!!!!

Back
Top Bottom