"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-28-2007, 07:58 AM   #31
Sous Chef

We all definately like our Christmas music!! I hope this gets everyone in the "swing, beat or rhythm".

Old 11-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #32
Head Chef

My favorite Holiday music is All the music from the Nutcracker. (Couldn't get a midi? link to work, so here's a few you might enjoy watching/listening to.)

Old 11-28-2007, 10:15 AM   #33
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
My BIL has this hysterical Santa doll dressed up in cowboy clothes with the voice of Burl Ives singing "Have a Holly, Jolly Christmas," while he shimmies.

I know it's silly, but it always makes me giggle like a little kid. and I don't even LIKE that song!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:45 PM   #34
Master Chef

I love Nutcraker Suite, and songs like "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem", "Deck the Halls", "Joy to the World", "Silent Night", any of the older, more spiritually themed carols, and the fun songs such as "Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer", Frosty the Snowman" all of the songs from "Charlie Brown's Christmas", etc. Last Sunday, after church, and while waiting for my daughter, I found myself teaching a couple of young girls (ages 6 and 8) some of the carols, like Deck the Halls, and Joy to the world, and explaining to them what the lyrics mean.

To me, Christmas is both a time of spirituality, and humbleness, and joyous celebration of a very special birth. It is a time when family and freinds join together and express their love for one another through the giving of oneslf, of gifts, and of time, when worldly cares are temporarily set aside, and the clebration is enjoyed.

Christmas carols then are sung to enhance that time, both for fun, and for spirituality. My farorite Christmas carols reflect that, and can be sung by anyone who loves to sing them, even if they sing off-key, or are sung by those who are tone-deaf.

Of course I love "White Christmas", the Bing Crosby version, and "Let it Snow" which is actually more of a winter song that happens to be sung a lot around Christmas time, and anything by Nat King Cole, or Doris Day, or Patti Page, or the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, etc. I also love ManHeim Steamroller versions of the classic songs, and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra treatments of the same.

I think my favorite Christmas-time instrumental is Carol of the Bells. I love the Christmas Cartoons. But most importantly, I love seeing the joy on the faces of children and family. I have no grandbabies yet, but am anxiously waiting that time so that I can once again see the gleefull faces, and hear the excited squeels of joy. I remember the Christmases of yesteryear, with my own children, and my one son who loved the dining room table as much as he did his gifts.

We would create a smorgasbord of goodies on the table, including various deli meats and cheeses, different types of breads and cheeses (all the best we could find in our little town), and condiments to go with it all. After reading the Christmas Story in the Bible, then opening gifts, he would run into the dining room. I always got such a huge kick out of his wide eyed and excited exclamation of "The Feast!" as he liked to call it. There was genuine excitement in his voice as he prepared to dig in.

I long for that youtful exitement to again be in my home. The memories make me misty-eyed, as do the Christmas Carols that continue to remind me of those times.

Merry Christmas to all of you, and I hope this season finds you well, and blessed.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:01 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Goodweed, Carol of the Bells is my favorite carol for a choir. Isn't it gorgeous?

And you're right about carols - anyone can sing a carol and it sounds great (even if they can't carry a tune)! Years ago I printed out the words to lots of well known carols so the kids and I could sing them together. My youngest daughter's boyfriend has Down's Syndrome and a pretty significant speech impediment. He lives across the street. My daughter is also mentally challenged and like many, she is almost totally tone deaf. BUT, the 2 of them cannot wait for Christmas every year so we can sing carols! I swear, they would have us sing carols every night of the year if they could get us to. I'm sure we all sound dreadful but to our ears, we're the Mormon Tabernacle Choir!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:14 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
Isn't there a Canadian version of the Twelve days spoof? I like the mouse your cat caught Callisto. Mine always tries for the cursor.
The MacKenzie borthers - "Cooo-ukuku-ku-ukookoo, Take off, eh?"

Excerpt from the MacKenzie Bothers "Twelve Days of Christmas" Album from the link - Bob and Doug McKenzie TAKE OFF!:

Twelve Days of Christmas Bob: Okay, g'day, this is our Christmas part of the album and you can play this at your Christmas parties, uh, or to yourself on Christmas Eve if there's nothing else to do. Doug: G'day, eh, in case you thought, like, I wasn't on this part. Bob: Oh, I'd guarantee you you'd be on. Okay, so g'day, this is the Christmas part and we're going to tell you what to get, uh, your true love for Christmas. Doug: Look out the window! Bob: Where? What're you doing? Doug: Snow, hosehead. Bob: What? Oh, it's the Great White North and it's snowing 'cause its Christmas time. Hey, hoser! Doug: What? Bob: Here's a quiz... Quiz for Doug. Doug: Okay, I have my thinking toque on. Bob: Yeah, right. What are the twelve days of Christmas? Because, figure it out, right? Christmas is when? Doug: Uh, the twenty-fifth. Bob: Right, and what's the twenty-fourth? Christmas Eve, right? Doug: That's two. Bob: And then, what's after that? Doug: Um... Bob: Boxing Day. Doug: Wrestling Day. Bob: No, get out! Doug: Boxing Day, yeah, yeah, I knew. Bob: That's three, then what's after that? Nothing. Doug: New Year's. Bob: Four, and what's... Doug: New Year's Eve. Bob: Five. Doug: Okay. Bob: Where do you get twelve? Doug: Uh, there's two Saturdays and Sundays in there, that's four. That's nine, and three other days which I believe are the mystery days. Bob: Okay, now this is our Christmas song, in case you don't know what to get somebody for Christmas. Doug: There's lots of ideas in here, so listen and don't get stuck. BOB & DOUG'S TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS
On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
Eight comic books
Seven packs of smokes
Six packs of two-fours
Five golden toques
Four pounds of back bacon
Three french toasts
Two turtlenecks
And a beer in a tree
(Bob & Doug didn't cover days nine through twelve.)

Toques are those funny knited caps that Canadians wear when it's cold outside (pronounced tukes).

A two-four is a bear container that holds 2 four packs, or eight bottles or cans of beer.

Back-bacon, also called Canadian Bacon, and is made from the tenderloin.

And now you are qualified to live up in the Great White North in the bush.

And for all of my Canadian freinds, this is definitley a little tongue-in-cheek poke at you.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:22 AM   #37
Sous Chef

Thank-you for sharing that Goodweed!! LOMAO!! I remember hearing that way back before the kids were born. What lovely Christmas memories you shared with us also. Thank-you again. DawnT
Old 11-29-2007, 07:02 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
this one: Sleigh Ride

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:14 AM   #39
Sous Chef

Thanks YT, I love to listen to instrumentals!