"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Wine Guy

Favorite Christmas Songs 2013

This was a thread someone started last year. Rather than resurrect that list, I thought it might be fun to start a new one for 2013.

Here are a couple of my favorites. Coincidentally, both are French in origin. The first is American Idol contestant David Archuleta singing "Pat-a-pan" and the second is a German choir performing "Il Est Né, le Divin Enfant" (He is Born, the Divine Child).

Old 12-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Good idea to share, Steve.

This is always one of my fave's

And I have been listening to more choral/ choir music this year. Maybe I do every year.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
This was a thread someone started last year. Rather than resurrect that list, I thought it might be fun to start a new one for 2013.

Here are a couple of my favorites. Coincidentally, both are French in origin. The first is American Idol contestant David Archuleta singing "Pat-a-pan" and the second is a German choir performing "Il Est Né, le Divin Enfant" (He is Born, the Divine Child).

Don't recognise "Pat a Pan" but "Il Est Né, le Divin Enfant" was one of the carols we sang in my last year in the school choir at our annual Christmas Service of Nine Lessons and Carols.

Among the carols I used to like singing best were "The First Noel", Hark the Herald Angels Sing" and "Adeste Fidelis" because you could really let rip and I hated drivel like "Little Drummer Boy"

On the secular side, "I'll Be Home For Christmas" makes me cry despite being a hard-bitten old broad.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

The Vienna Boys singing Silent Night in German.

I belonged to a church choir in high school I worked with the altos. In September we started rehearsing for Christmas. I had a record album of the Vienna Boys Choir that I received as a gift and let the choir director take it home to listen to it. She fell in love with their version of Silent Night. She hunted high and low for the sheet music for it. Finally she wrote to Germany to ask if they had just one copy they would be willing to sell her. They just sent her a copy of the directors copy with all his markings in German. She knew the copy machine that the church had stunk! So she brought it to Copy Cops and had enough copies made for everyone. We sang our hearts out on that song. To this day, when I hear it, I automatically sing the harmony.

Also Handel Messiah in its entirety.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Handel's Messiah is wonderful music.

I sure do miss Christmas time like it was when I was young. The following song is very close to how things went back when my Grandmother, my Mom, and Dad were alive and the whole family would gather here at Casa de Hoot for the holidays.
These days, I am often called upon at Christmas parties to offer my rendition of:
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I came across this version of Diana Ross singing "Silent Night" last night:
Old 12-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Ive always loved the classic "The Little Drummer Boy."

This new a capella version is great, too.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I really enjoy this one

And this one

http://youtu.be/9PmI1yGKvQg
Old 12-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Head Chef

I like a bit of Slade myself .

Tags
christmas