"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #31
Head Chef

Lorenzo's Oil--Story of two parents trying to help their son who is deteriorating due to a terrible genetic illness. Heart warming.
I want to buy this one when I see it.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #32
Head Chef

Favorite movies and why:
Grapes of Wrath - so real and moving
Lawrence of Arabia - the desert, and where I learned to appreciate Omar Shariff
Dr. Zhivago - the vastness of Russia and ditto
A Christmas Story - Darren McGavin and good old Ralphie
The Gods Must Be Crazy - so innocent and funny
Run Silent Run Deep - WWII in a submarine with Clark Gable & Burt Lancaster
the Tracy & Hepburn comedies, so sharp and smart
Raising Arizona - Nicolas Cage with a panty on his head
Adaptation - Cage again with Charlie Kaufman's unique screenplay
Fargo - where I first saw the talented Frances McDormand
Gangs of New York - Daniel Day-Lewis's best IMO though he makes a handsome Mohican
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, where I got to see Zaphod Beeblebrox's two heads
Time Bandits, great cast w/ Sean Connery as King Agamemnon, fantastical fun
Oklahoma - for the music
7 Brides for 7 Brothers - for the dancing and Howard Keel and Russ Tamblyn
Babe, where I learned to love James Cromwell's sheep farmer
LA Confidential, where I learned to dislike James Cromwell's policeman
Microcosmos - the insect world up very close and personal
7 Up/Plus 7, watching a group of British students evolve beginning at 7 yrs. old
Nanook of the North - unvarnished depiction of primitive lives

Foreign:
Jean de Florette, where I learned to love Gerard Depardieu, Daniel Auteuil, Yves Montand and the Force of Destiny score. I think this is my very favorite -- human nature at its best and worst.
Babette's Feast - so uplifting
Amelie - charm and sweetness with Audrey Tautou
Dreams - Akira Kurasawa - it's just beautiful
Fitzcarraldo - Klaus Kinski in an impossible South American saga; led me to other works of Werner Herzog

And an animated: Triplets of Belleville, where I learned how frogs and umbrellas go together, and French bicycle racing

Sorry the list is so long, but I love them all.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #33
Head Chef

Thanks Tinlizzie--excellent list and why you like them!

My favorite out of yours is Fargo--I don't know why I like it so much, maybe the accents and I've been to Fargo.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #34
Master Chef

How could I forget the Grapes of Wrath and the wonderful lines that all of the cast had. The one I remember most is this line from Ma Joad.

"Well, Pa, a woman can change better'n a man. A man lives sorta - well, in jerks. Baby's born or somebody dies, and that's a jerk. He gets a farm or loses it, and that's a jerk. With a woman, it's all in one flow, like a stream - little eddies and waterfalls - but the river, it goes right on. Woman looks at it thata way."
Old 06-05-2012, 05:14 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Fiona,

Oops ... Must have been the Risotto on my mind as I was on my way to the Italian Market ... Yes, Ayn Rand, one of my favorite authors of the 90s ...

The CD Version featuring the Voice Over work of Michael York, narrating Interview with a Vampire, is absolutely fascinating to listen to ...

Thank you for correcting my mishap.
Tuesday 11am
Ciao, Margi.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Thanks Tinlizzie--excellent list and why you like them!

My favorite out of yours is Fargo--I don't know why I like it so much, maybe the accents and I've been to Fargo.
And thank you for this thread. Overnight I've thought of more, of course, that didn't make the list, like Deliverance, North by Northwest, The Shining, The Thing (the original one), all the Python films, West Side Story, A Passage to India, Ghandi, Marx Brothers movies, Mel Brooks movies, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, My Fair Lady, 12 Angry Men......they just keep coming and are surely more fun to think on for a change than politics.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #37
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
And thank you for this thread. Overnight I've thought of more, of course, that didn't make the list, like Deliverance, North by Northwest, The Shining, The Thing (the original one), all the Python films, West Side Story, A Passage to India, Ghandi, Marx Brothers movies, Mel Brooks movies, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, My Fair Lady, 12 Angry Men......they just keep coming and are surely more fun to think on for a change than politics.
I spend lots of time saying, "Oh yes, that's a favorite." Most fun I ever had at a job was ordering the stock for a video rental department.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #38
Head Chef

What Dreams May Come--Robin Williams and more excellent stars. Very dark story, with very high points about love and family. I have seen this one 20 times, it's worth seeing.

Hereafter--The first amazing scene is a tsunami. If you could imagine being on a coast or a small island and without warning, you see the signs of the wave coming in, taking everything with it. The rest of the story is about glimpses of the afterlife, and charlatans, and the loss of those loved. It was touching and ended on a happy note.

Tatrat--where's your list, we await your contribution!
Old 06-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #39
Head Chef

There are almost as many "Whys" as there are "Favorite Movies." In short, if the plot holds my interest for the duration, transports me to another place & time, makes me laugh/cry/think, performances, score/music (imo a film is nothing w/o the score/music - & Bernard Herrman is one of my faves), cinematography and/or sound (am I enveloped/surrounded in the pic & music?). Also, Choreography - i.e. Busby Berkely, Fred & Ginger, Gene Kelly & films like West Side Story get my vote. Mostly, I prefer the old B/W classics (Citizen Kane, Casablanca, etc), but do enjoy certain films with special effects, Spielberg, & films like ET, Close Encounters, Poltergeist, King Kong. Most of the Hitchcock films are my faves, as well - particularly Vertigo -- suspense, score, acting. Rebecca is another favorite. Romance or romantic comedy - Dances w/ Wolves, Somewhere In Time, When Harry Met Sally, City of Angels, Annie Hall.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #40
Head Chef

Another factor for me re best movies is film editing. Is the film choppy, did it flow? Film editors spend 9 years apprenticeship, & I think they deserve the big bucks. If the film doesn't flow, seems disjointed, goes from one scene to the next w/o cohersion - it doesn't "work" for me. Forrest Gump was an interesting film, but made it imo due to Tom Hanks' acting, the music of the period, coupled w/ a certain sense of naivity/sense of humor. Liked him much better in Castaways.

Strangers on a train is another fave. Could go on & on.