Favorite Restaurant in your city and why.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timothy

Head Chef
Ok, we all have one restaurant we go to more than any other, where the staff know us and we are intimately familiar with their menu and love the food served to us there.

Please, tell us yours. When we visit your city, we'll make sure to also have at least one meal there, if not more.

I live in St. Augustine, Florida. The locals and the repeat tourists here all know of Schooners, on Ponce de Leon Blvd, on the north end of town.

They serve the best seafood in St. Augustine!

I had supper there last night:

The combo fried platter, with two of any fried seafood on the menu. I chose oysters and scallops. Had green bean casserole, sweet corn and a baked potato and sweet tea with it.

I was so hungry, I actually finished the entire meal. Most can't. It's just so much food. I just couldn't make myself quit eating!

If you happen to visit St. Augustine, you'll love your self for eating at schooners.

Ya'll come back now, y' hear?

Gosh, I don't have just one favorite, but there are several I've eaten at that I could recommend to anyone visiting the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. My only criteria is good food, prompt service, and a fun atmosphere.

• In Season. Teeny tiny little restaurant with a constantly-changing eclectic menu. My wife said I could pick anywhere to go for my birthday. This was my choice.
  • Travail Kitchen & Amusements. Unusual, reasonably priced, and recently ranked #4 on Bon Appetit magazine's list of Best New Restaurants in America. Only place I know that serves frozen Foie Gras Popsicles.
  • i Nonni. Elevated Italian fare (meaning not just pasta) and a very nice wine list. Service is impeccable. A little on the spendy side, but great place to take a date.
  • Tiger Sushi. Goes beyond traditional sushi by adding some unusual flavor elements. Their number 10 Zen roll is fantastic, as is the Flying Tiger Kick.

Last edited:
I, too, find it hard to narrow it down to one or even a couple. Partly because even my favorites can be inconsistent. The minute I recommend one, someone goes and it is a mess. I like our local sushi bar, and it has proven to be consistent and I love the couple who run it. (It is called Tokyo). If I want a steak, I go to The Log Cabin. Have had a long-standing relationship with them, and my favorite dishes there are kabobs or calf's liver. It is a real old-fashioned, 50s-60s style steak house. There are many sports bars and Italian-type restaurants in town; those are the ones I find most inconsistent when it comes to food. Plus, if I do say so myself, I'm better at the genre than any of the chefs at those Italian type restaurants. There are a couple of restaurants I like but are way too expensive, and again, not consistent enough to be worth the price. Especially because we like a few drinks with a "special" meal. It is a quite small town, with a high turnover. Sometimes the restaurant owners over-extend themselves, opening more restaurants. There are two guys who own multiple restaurants, and the quality goes down with each new opening, and there have been times when you can literally tell when the owner leaves the premises to go to one of the other restaurants.

We have a favorite for each type of cusine. I am the type to try a few different things, then stick with the dish that was favorite every time I go back.

We only have a few of our favs in our neighborhood.

A medditerreanean place
An Indian Place
A sushi place

We are willing to drive an hour each way for a antipasta lunch in Monterey on the wharf at Abolenettie's.Love that place.

Last edited:
Not in my city but a short ride away.

Click >>> Steve's Sizzling Steaks

NY strip steak, steak fries and mushrooms. I can't say any more because I am drooling and craving some now!! I LOVE NY strip steak and when I HAVE to have BEEF only this place will satisfy the craving.

Well, there's this one coffee shop I frequent, close and convenient. I know the menu, and it's cheap. It is my favorite sit down restaurant to grab a bite to eat.

So, are you gonna tell us who it is and where? The whole point of this thread is to give people a chance to visit your city and go there. You're killin me!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
So, are you gonna tell us who it is and where? The whole point of this thread is to give people a chance to visit your city and go there. You're killin me!:ROFLMAO:
It's in the ghetto so I don't want to give them a bad impression of the city. It's a hangout for the locals. I would never take my out of town guest there....:LOL:

One of my favorite Japanese restaurants is a tavern located in the Japanese community of Little Tokyo in downtown L.A. called Honda-ya. These types of establishments (izakaya) are very popular in Japan and open til very late into the night. Not for sushi, but they serve practically everything else, including sashimi, and the menu quite extensive. Most are small portioned ala carte dishes so you'll sample a wide variety of grub before the night's over. They have a nice sake list as well, being a drinking establishment by tradition, and the late night hours.

Last edited:
i like this greek-run, all night diner called tiptop for breakfast. it's cheap, unpretentious and they serve those big, nostalgic kind of breakfast spreads that you thought were a thing of the past. this is all happening while the lusty and thriving greek side of the menu serves up its spanakopitas, gyro sandwiches, and feta/cucumber/olive greek salads. somehow, it all meshes smoothly, in a friendly atmosphere of "viva la difference". in the larger of the two dining areas, there is an art gallery of sorts, which displays (and sells) paintings from an unknown artist. this too is a lively business. the whole place is alive with good feelings, good food, good humor and friends....

Fiesta en Jalisco, Missoula, MT. The Brooks Street Address. Everything is huge and FRESH! The best Tex-Mex north of the border. I go there just for refries sometimes.

Well, Boston is a tourist town. But if I have out-of-town guests, (and I have) I take them to the Union Oyster House. It is located right in the heart of "tourist land". The building itself is loaded with history. Originally, it was a stable with rooms upstairs for the stable hands. The downstairs booths were some of the original horse stalls. (pre G. Washington) The booth where JFK used to spend Sunday mornings reading all of the pile of newspapers has a marker on the wall. I prefer the upstairs rooms. You are never rushed. They save downstairs for the tourists and handicap. (Fast turnover.) The stairs (I swear) are the original ones. Very narrow and steep. They specialize in seafood, but you can find non-seafood dishes on the menu. Something for everyone.

Standing out on the sidewalk, you can watch the folks sitting at the oyster bar, down dozens of raw shellfish. :yum: Looking up at the second floor, you can see the wavy glass in the windows. I don't know if those are the original window panes, but they are very old. It is one of the oldest (if not the oldest) continuing operating restaurants in the country. It is a tossup with the Warren Tavern in Charlestown. Another place loaded with history. It is said that this place is where some of the Sons of Liberty (Paul Revere, Sam Adams and other of that ilk.) would meet.

Last edited:
Well, Boston is a tourist town. But if I have out-of-town guests, (and I have) I take them to the Union Oyster House. It is located right in the heart of "tourist land". The building itself is loaded with history. Originally, it was a stable with rooms upstairs for the stable hands. The downstairs booths were some of the original horse stalls. (pre G. Washington) The booth where JFK used to spend Sunday mornings reading all of the pile of newspapers has a marker on the wall. I prefer the upstairs rooms. You are never rushed. They save downstairs for the tourists and handicap. (Fast turnover.) The stairs (I swear) are the original ones. Very narrow and steep. They specialize in seafood, but you can find non-seafood dishes on the menu. Something for everyone.

Standing out on the sidewalk, you can watch the folks sitting at the oyster bar, down dozens of raw shellfish. :yum: Looking up at the second floor, you can see the wavy glass in the windows. I don't know if those are the original window panes, but they are very old. It is one of the oldest (if not the oldest) continuing operating restaurants in the country. It is a tossup with the Warren Tavern in Charlestown. Another place loaded with history. It is said that this place is where some of the Sons of Liberty (Paul Revere, Sam Adams and other of that ilk.) would meet.

Facinating, Addie. The Tavern has a very well built web page also:
Warren Tavern If I'm ever in that neck of the woods, I'll stop in for a meal. Their menu looks very good.

One of the things I love about the Tavern are the old beams still in place. :chef:

I've visited a whole lot of the early American historic places on the east coast and love the *atmosphere* of heavy wood, fireplaces and Old-style construction. Williamsburg is one of my favorites. Being in those old, sturdy buildings makes me feel secure. It's really cool being able to stand in a spot that someone like George Washington also stood once. It makes me feel as if I were looking out of their eyes for a moment.

I've visited a whole lot of the early American historic places on the east coast and love the *atmosphere* of heavy wood, fireplaces and Old-style construction. Williamsburg is one of my favorites. Being in those old, sturdy buildings makes me feel secure. It's really cool being able to stand in a spot that someone like George Washington also stood once. It makes me feel as if I were looking out of their eyes for a moment.

I had some friends from the West Coast visit me one year. I took them on the Freedom Trail. Normally it is a two hour walk. We spent the whole day. I know little pieces of our history that isn't in the school books. From going below deck on Old Ironsides to climbing the steps of the Bunker Hill Monument facinated them. They were able to see where the sailors slept along with the Captain's quarters. One of my visitors kept gently passing his had over different objects and the wood. You could see him absorbing the feel of the ship. It was fun to watch their reactions to the little bit of unknown history that I was able to relay to them. Another time I took a different visitor out to Concord where the war started. The original footprint of the cabins and the rock walls are still in place there. You would be surprised at how small the cabins were. Those cabins were where John Hancock and others hid while the British were looking for them. There is even a graveyard for the fallen British soldiers of the original battle. Unless you know where to look you would miss it.:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom