"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, Boston is a tourist town. But if I have out-of-town guests, (and I have) I take them to the Union Oyster House. It is located right in the heart of "tourist land". The building itself is loaded with history. Originally, it was a stable with rooms upstairs for the stable hands. The downstairs booths were some of the original horse stalls. (pre G. Washington) The booth where JFK used to spend Sunday mornings reading all of the pile of newspapers has a marker on the wall. I prefer the upstairs rooms. You are never rushed. They save downstairs for the tourists and handicap. (Fast turnover.) The stairs (I swear) are the original ones. Very narrow and steep. They specialize in seafood, but you can find non-seafood dishes on the menu. Something for everyone.

Standing out on the sidewalk, you can watch the folks sitting at the oyster bar, down dozens of raw shellfish. Looking up at the second floor, you can see the wavy glass in the windows. I don't know if those are the original window panes, but they are very old. It is one of the oldest (if not the oldest) continuing operating restaurants in the country. It is a tossup with the Warren Tavern in Charlestown. Another place loaded with history. It is said that this place is where some of the Sons of Liberty (Paul Revere, Sam Adams and other of that ilk.) would meet.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well, Boston is a tourist town. But if I have out-of-town guests, (and I have) I take them to the Union Oyster House. It is located right in the heart of "tourist land". The building itself is loaded with history. Originally, it was a stable with rooms upstairs for the stable hands. The downstairs booths were some of the original horse stalls. (pre G. Washington) The booth where JFK used to spend Sunday mornings reading all of the pile of newspapers has a marker on the wall. I prefer the upstairs rooms. You are never rushed. They save downstairs for the tourists and handicap. (Fast turnover.) The stairs (I swear) are the original ones. Very narrow and steep. They specialize in seafood, but you can find non-seafood dishes on the menu. Something for everyone.

Standing out on the sidewalk, you can watch the folks sitting at the oyster bar, down dozens of raw shellfish. Looking up at the second floor, you can see the wavy glass in the windows. I don't know if those are the original window panes, but they are very old. It is one of the oldest (if not the oldest) continuing operating restaurants in the country. It is a tossup with the Warren Tavern in Charlestown. Another place loaded with history. It is said that this place is where some of the Sons of Liberty (Paul Revere, Sam Adams and other of that ilk.) would meet.
Facinating, Addie. The Tavern has a very well built web page also:
Warren Tavern If I'm ever in that neck of the woods, I'll stop in for a meal. Their menu looks very good.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Facinating, Addie. The Tavern has a very well built web page also:
Warren Tavern If I'm ever in that neck of the woods, I'll stop in for a meal. Their menu looks very good.
One of the things I love about the Tavern are the old beams still in place.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
One of the things I love about the Tavern are the old beams still in place.
I've visited a whole lot of the early American historic places on the east coast and love the *atmosphere* of heavy wood, fireplaces and Old-style construction. Williamsburg is one of my favorites. Being in those old, sturdy buildings makes me feel secure. It's really cool being able to stand in a spot that someone like George Washington also stood once. It makes me feel as if I were looking out of their eyes for a moment.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I've visited a whole lot of the early American historic places on the east coast and love the *atmosphere* of heavy wood, fireplaces and Old-style construction. Williamsburg is one of my favorites. Being in those old, sturdy buildings makes me feel secure. It's really cool being able to stand in a spot that someone like George Washington also stood once. It makes me feel as if I were looking out of their eyes for a moment.
I had some friends from the West Coast visit me one year. I took them on the Freedom Trail. Normally it is a two hour walk. We spent the whole day. I know little pieces of our history that isn't in the school books. From going below deck on Old Ironsides to climbing the steps of the Bunker Hill Monument facinated them. They were able to see where the sailors slept along with the Captain's quarters. One of my visitors kept gently passing his had over different objects and the wood. You could see him absorbing the feel of the ship. It was fun to watch their reactions to the little bit of unknown history that I was able to relay to them. Another time I took a different visitor out to Concord where the war started. The original footprint of the cabins and the rock walls are still in place there. You would be surprised at how small the cabins were. Those cabins were where John Hancock and others hid while the British were looking for them. There is even a graveyard for the fallen British soldiers of the original battle. Unless you know where to look you would miss it.