"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-24-2006, 12:43 AM   #1
Contest Winner

Wink Favorite Toys

Tell us what your favorite toys that you had as you were growing up were ? I will let you know when I narrow mine down. Yes I was Spoiled, But I did work and earn money for alot of my things too

Star Trek Enterprise, Romulian Warbird, Klingon Battle Crusier to start with. Yes GI JOE with the KUNG-FU GRIP, the first one with hair you could feel and the first model of Joe, plus the talking JOE Chemistry Sets and Microscopes I got a sore bottom a few times because of them.
Lincoln Logs @ , Erector Sets, Slot Car and Train Sets, and Legos, YoYos and Whizers.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:58 AM   #2
Master Chef

My brother's hot wheels and trucks were a favorite thing to play with. He was Ok with it as long as I played with him. But I also liked Lego's, riding my bike, Nintendo (Super Mario Brothers, Frogger, and Donkey Kong Jr.), Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, the LIFE board game, Chinese checkers, etc. Most of the time I played with my brother because we lived way out of town. Sometimes we would ride our bikes into town to play with other kids.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:14 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

i loved hot wheels, not only for the cool cars and making a loop-d-loop, but the tracks made really good whips to beat your friends and sisters.

my all time favourite toy was my gi joe. i started with the old, molded hair and fixed fingers joe, but eventually got a life-like hair and beard, and kung fu grip.
one day, i was playing with the latter joe, and i managed to scrape off a little of the side of his beard. so i got out a safety razor, and carefully crafted a cool fu-manchu moustache, and shaped sideburns. he was the coolest joe ever. all my friends wanted to know where i got him.
barbie never stood a chance...
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:38 AM   #4
Sous Chef

My blankie!
Other than him, books and the channel changer. I wasn't a big fan of toys, but I did like daydreaming alot and playing outside with my friends, mostly pretend games where everything is invisible to people not playing (as in you just have to use your imagination). I read a lot too. I also watched a bit too much TV. I guess kids just have a lot of time on their hands to do a lot of whatever they want.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:42 AM   #5
Head Chef

I loved my Lincoln Logs and Tonka trucks but my larger scale slot car track was awesome. The cars were almost as big as 'model' cars with a plastic wedge that fit into the slot (mesh metal contacts along both sides.... some of you older guys might know what I'm talkin' about... back before they went to those little HO scale racers). We had a big track set up in our basement and my brother and I would race for hours and HOURS. If you took the turns too quickly your car would flip off... but if you hit it just right, man it was a thing of beauty as the back of the car drifted out across the track as you made the turn (sometimes into your brother's car, causing HIM to flip -- heh heh).
Old 07-24-2006, 07:05 AM   #6
Head Chef

Barbie and Sindy! I even had furniture for Sindy and her knees bent which was pretty exciting at the time. Barbie used to marry my brother's Action jackson or Big Jim! I also liked Fisher price toys when I was smaller, we had the farm ,the airport,the garage, the houseboat and the house, my dad still has them at his house and my kids played with them.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:28 AM   #7
Head Chef

My bike that my grandparents rebuilt for me and a radio. Loved listening to The good Rock and Roll music. 50s and 60s were the best.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:29 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I was a girl who absolutely detested dolls and anything girly or pink.
I didn't have a lot of toys growing up. Whenever we were anywhere near a toy shop mother was always like "beh, these toys are so stupid!! You wouldn't possibly be interested in nonsense like this are you?" And I couldn't do anything else but reply sheepishly "No indeed, ma'am..."

However I did enjoy Legos and Play Dohs (which even my mother approved, as long as I wouldn't smear the play doh on the floor, wall or furnitures...) I entertained myself with them for hours and hours, and to this day, I love messing with them with Cris's children.
And oh, loved stuffed animals and still do!!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:43 AM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Barbie( I had her 3 story town house, & the pink & silver Corvetts), Ken, Strwberry Shortcake, My Little Ponies, my brother's Atari, Lincoln Logs, Slinky, Shrinky Dinks (those little plastic things you colored then baked in the oven to shrink & harden), but my all time favorite thing to do was to have sock fights with my brother. We would ball up all of our socks, hang a quilt over the opening of the stairs, put a pillow up in front of our bedroom doors to duck behind, & throw socks down the hall at each other. The best ones were always at night when it was really dark & you couldn't see where you were throwing.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:59 AM   #10
Master Chef

Ok--I'm going to "date" myself here but we liked to play "Marathon Monopoly" games in the summer-----play, go home, play next day where you left off the day before. This went on for days. Barbies, of course, but my best friend's mom was a sewer, so we got all her fabric scraps and designed new outfits. Hairstyles were accomplished using straight pins--move over Donacelli. Also the usual games with the neighborhood kids. Great times.