Favorite TV Shows - Are You As Bored As I Am?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
I thought I didn't watch much TV and was getting bored with what's "on," but since my cable has been out for two days I'm starting to miss some of my favorites...and getting a little cranky I might add.

I miss the days of long running great shows, that simply don't compare (IMO), i.e. a Thursday night line up of Cheers and Frasier, or All In the Family, (the Norman Lear days) etc. The Survival and reality shows turn me "off."

I don't do the Pay Per View or rent a box(?) My favorites are probably not considered mainstream or high on the Nielson ratings, but here are some I like. Mostly I watch movies, but the amc (American Movie Classics), do not air the true classics. What do you watch & how many hours a day?

Not in any particular order:

Food Network
HGTV
Forensic Files/Court TV
Will & Grace (took me a while to accept the subject matter)
Wife Swap
The Biggest Loser
Roseanne (reruns)
Sex and the City
The Apprentice
PBS

I'm sure there are a few more but, have to take a call. Will get back.

Last edited:
We watch TOO MUCH tv around here...

Our favorites...

Battlestar
Stargate SG1
LOST
Apprentice
ER
Survivor

Here are just a few of my favorites...

Simpsons - by far my favorite

Arrested Development - very clever humor

Prison Break - the first episode sucked me in so now I need to watch to the end even though it is not as good as the first episode.

24 - We wait until it is out on DVD and then rent them all over the course of a weekend or long weekend, so don't spoil this season for me :)

My Name Is Earl

South Park

The Apprentice (Trump, not Martha) - I was, and still am, very anti-reality TV shows, but DW wanted to watch The Apprentice when it first came out so I said I would watch it with her. It quickly sucked me in and now I watch it every week and she could care less if she misses it.

Nova - depending on the subject

Various TLC type channel programs - Things like Expeditions To The Edge, Modern Marvels, Mythbusters, and a variety of others.

Wanted to "sound off" on cable/tv a bit. I can't get any reception unless I subscribe to the only cable co in my area. (Dish is not an option at the present time.) Cable wants you to spend even more $$ for pay per view and extras...so what they call American Movie Classics, never include movies circa 1940-1950 - the true classics. The same old same old movies are aired over and over - and not very good ones at that. I liked Shawshank and A Few Good Men, but how many times can they air the same movies and old stale sitcoms and expect people to pay for cable.

Re classic old b/w movies on tv, haven't seen them around in years. Use to have a film library I taped from tv. They're almost non-existent now. Wondering if Ted Turner bought all the rights in some package deal? I know that there are certain legal ramifications if even a two minute clip is aired on tv, without a boatload of studio execs and the legal dept signing consent forms. But, what good are these great films, if they are sitting locked up in a film vault(?), in the can on a shelf.

And...what happened to the old b/w tv shows like The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock. Where are the old Fred and Ginger, Busby Berkley, Groucho Marx etc movies? I miss classic TV. Remakes of Gilligan's Island and shows like Fear Factor - very bad TV. SNL - So disappointing. The great cast may be gone, but the show has been "dead air" for me for years.

Re cable - I get approx. 3 cable news shows & a weather channel, (when I can watch it on regular tv), several shopping shows, and foreign language programs. Shows I would not watch, let alone pay for.

IMO, if there were more "quality" tv shows on air, we wouldn't need or have or pay for cable TV.

Last edited:
We have satellite - direct tv - lots of channels and still nothing to watch most of the time. I'm amazed at what is called entertainment - even the commercials are stupid most of the time. I like hgtv and food network more in the daytime than at night. I ususally watch the forensic programs on court tv and a & e.

We too watch way too much TV.

They screwed around on all the CSI shows until I quit watching all but CSI-NY.

My Favs: (in no particular order except how they hit my brain :mrgreen:)

1. Are You Being Served?
  2. Survivor
  3. Amazing Race
  4. Big Brother
  5. CSI-NY
  6. Navy NCIS
  7. Ed, Edd and Edd (my daughter got me hooked)
  8. Spongebob Squarepants (again, my daughter...)
  9. Futurama!
  10. Scooby Doo! (the original... I got my daughter hooked :mrgreen:)
  11. Any B&W horror movie :mrgreen: (not that slash and gush garbage they're putting out today)
~ Raven ~

Last edited:
We watch too much too

CSI {All 3 three, miami, las vegas and ny}
Close to home
Without a trace
House
Desperate housewives
Rodney

I can't believe I forgot Grays Anatomy:wacko:

Last edited:
I enjoy some of the British comedies on Saturday night - Keeping up Appearances and As time goes by - especially. I used to enjoy To the manor born and the one about neighbors, but haven't seen them in quite a while.

Doctor Who (new episodes)
ER
LOST
Las Vegas
Boston Legal
The Simpsons
The Family Guy
Overhaulin'
Iron Chef
Law and Order:CI (i think the others suck)

Will and Grace
The Nanny
The Golden Girls
And 1 detective show that I watch late at night that I really like but can't remember the name....hehehe.
Rosanne
And any good movie that involves "love"... or kids in dramatic situations....

And believe it or not...most of the time I hate food shows! Wonder why?

I'm sick of baseball pre-empting House MD!

My favourites are...

Hockey Night in Canada
House MD
Gray's Anatomy
Law & Order
Law & Order: SVU
old M*A*S*H* reruns

the golden girls
designing women
the simpsons
iron chef
ER
a cook's tour
all in the family

Last edited:
We watch too much TV too!!
House
Gray's Anatomy
Survivor
Law and Order (all of them)
Desperate Housewives
Cooking and lifestyle shows on the Life style channel
Jackass
Wild Boyz(although sometimes its too gross)
I used to love the Eastenders but my cousin came back from the UK and filled me in on the next 2 years storylines!
Scrubs
Shock Trauma
RPA
Theres more but I can't think of them offhand.

hmm.... TV... I don`t need it.. i could live without.... probably except for Friday evenings...
Cold Case
Without a trace !!!
Missing

and I'm waiting for the new ER episodes...

wwe raw on mondays
wwe smackdown on fridays
golden girl's
grace under fire
roseanne
family ties (nick at night)
who's the boss (nick at night)
jeff corwin's quest
venom er (though it's not on anymore)
30 minute meals
$40 a day
paula deen
extreme makeover home edition
celebrity fit club
the biggest loser

i'll think of more later i'm sure lol

My husband turns the TV on when he wakes, and it is still on when I go to sleep at night. At least he isn't a sports or junk TV addict (news, weather, and educational TV are mostly the fare). There are very few programs I really like that are "new". Right now it is Monk and Two and a Half Men. I love a lot of BBC series.

Am I the only person who finds the family sitcoms where the wife is fashion-model material and the husband looks like an ad for beef cattle a wee bit insulting? I look around me, and see more examples of the opposite. How can these shows be so popular? Who actually watches them? Do men really believe they can weigh 300 lbs and still win the willowy, thin woman ... AND that she'll still be that after kids and, heaven forbid, menopause?

Sorry, got on my soap-box. You can see why I generally tune-out when the TV is on. Give me a good book any day.

mish said:
What do you watch & how many hours a day?

I'm not much of a TV watcher - I'd rather read a book.
:rolleyes:

The shows I watch/watched on TV are/were:

Beauty & The Geek

Food Network:
- The Next Food Network Star
- any cooking contest
- Unwrapped

Game Shows - GSN used to be my favorite channel but I am not real fond of most of what they show now. I couldn't care less about watching people play poker, etc.

America's Funniest Home Videos

These are shows I watched on DVD & LOVE!
Sex & The City
The Sopranos
Friends
Desperate Housewives

OK here is another show I just thought of. I do not currently watch it because I do not think it is on in reruns anywhere (at least that I know of), but St. Elsewhere was one of my all time favorite shows. I wish it was still on so I could watch it every week again.

Back
Top Bottom