"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Favourite Italian Restaurant & What do u have?

Good Afternoon,

I had been at the Condo until mid-afternoon, doing a Spring Cleaning ... It had been lovely to spend a week alone on the Adriatic ... Even bought some tagliatelli, lasagne sheets, fennel, calcots in Catalan ( flew back from Barcelona which was a stop I had made enroute for business ) ( pronounced Cal Sot; an extra long spring onion variety) and sun dried tomatoes back to Madrid ...

My favourites in Italia:

Ristorante Gambero Rossi on the northwestern Mediterranean Coast, in Liguria, La Corte Sconta ( for fish in Venice ), Ristorante Antico Martini across the square from the Teatro La Fenice ( Venice ) and in Bolognoa, Emilia Romagna ...

Look forward to hearing from you,
Margi Cintrano.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My House...there is not good Italian here in Missoula. The only locally owned (not a chain) has no idea what good Italian is, they excel in dry and burned.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Aragoste in Viareggio, many years ago .
Old 03-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Executive Chef

My two favorites are in San Francisco, Scomas on Fisherman's Wharf for Italian seafood, and Stinking Rose in North Beach for everything else.

At Scomas I used to order Snapper Romano but they took it off the menu. I emailed them to complain and their chef sent me the recipe so now I make it at home my own self. One of my other favorites is their cioppino, which is arguably the best on the Wharf, and their crab louie is also excellent. I think for my next trip I am going to try their Prix Fixe Dinner, but it will be difficult to choose between the Broiled Wild Pacific Swordfish with Tuscan White Beans, Pancetta, Tomatoes & Organic Rainbow Chard and the Seared Wild Mahi Mahi with Sautéed Spinach, Dungeness Crab Ravioli & Fried Leeks.

At Stinking Rose I usually order eggplant pramigiana because it's too troublesome to make it at home for just me, but just about anything on the menu is good.

Oh, one other favorite was Borrelli's on Long Island, where I always ordered Malangnone a la Sicilian, but I haven't been there for over 20 years and it doesn't appear to be on the menu any more. Fortunately I have the recipe for that, too! I will make this for guests, but not just for me. Maybe I should. They grow beautiful eggplants here.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Is Borrelli's the heartburn palace on Hempstead Turnpike?
Old 03-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Locally, it's gone! Was called Antonello's. Family was from Abruzzi. No pizza on the menu.

The best we've found after that is in Daytona Beach. The Celler. About 220 miles away. Used to go there everytime we vended at the largest reptile show in the US.

In Italy, even the road side "fast food" places, I think they were called "Autogip", had better food than any like place in the US and probably even most Italian chains as well.

We did the tourist thing in Venice, having dinner at Cipriani, but the best food we had was at a little, back street place in Stresa. Maybe 10 tables. For the life of me, I can't remember the name. I should, because we went there before the Irish Pub and several Irish Coffees.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
My two favorites are in San Francisco, Scomas on Fisherman's Wharf for Italian seafood, and Stinking Rose in North Beach for everything else.

At Scomas I used to order Snapper Romano but they took it off the menu. I emailed them to complain and their chef sent me the recipe so now I make it at home my own self. One of my other favorites is their cioppino, which is arguably the best on the Wharf, and their crab louie is also excellent. I think for my next trip I am going to try their Prix Fixe Dinner, but it will be difficult to choose between the Broiled Wild Pacific Swordfish with Tuscan White Beans, Pancetta, Tomatoes & Organic Rainbow Chard and the Seared Wild Mahi Mahi with Sautéed Spinach, Dungeness Crab Ravioli & Fried Leeks.

At Stinking Rose I usually order eggplant pramigiana because it's too troublesome to make it at home for just me, but just about anything on the menu is good.

Oh, one other favorite was Borrelli's on Long Island, where I always ordered Malangnone a la Sicilian, but I haven't been there for over 20 years and it doesn't appear to be on the menu any more. Fortunately I have the recipe for that, too! I will make this for guests, but not just for me. Maybe I should. They grow beautiful eggplants here.
Thanks for sharing the information. Yes, I love Cassola or Cippioni which are both shellfish / seafood / fish based Bouillaibaisse --- I shall make a note in the California Book. I used to live in San Francisco many many years ago.
Margi
Old 03-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Locally, it's gone! Was called Antonello's. Family was from Abruzzi. No pizza on the menu.

The best we've found after that is in Daytona Beach. The Celler. About 220 miles away. Used to go there everytime we vended at the largest reptile show in the US.

In Italy, even the road side "fast food" places, I think they were called "Autogip", had better food than any like place in the US and probably even most Italian chains as well.

We did the tourist thing in Venice, having dinner at Cipriani, but the best food we had was at a little, back street place in Stresa. Maybe 10 tables. For the life of me, I can't remember the name. I should, because we went there before the Irish Pub and several Irish Coffees.
Thanks ... Always like to have an active positive thread ... It is always so interesting when, people talk about restaurants that are either memorable or terrible ...

ABRUZZI: this is the land of milk fed baby lamb and shepherds ...Ristorante La Bandiera is unforgettable and located up a long winding country road ... in the mountains above Pescara and worth the trip ... this is true farm to table ... The Panarda which is a 30 course meal, a traditional feast is amazing ... Thanks for contributing.
Margi.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
Head Chef

Vitello's in Studio city, ca. It's not fancy, but the food is good. Some favorites - linguine and clams, carbonara & calzone. Years ago, Barone's.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Executive Chef

There is one chain that we will never return to again. Macaroni Grill. Karen ordered a clam dish that they served with unopened clams. It got sent back. They brought out the same dish and the clams were open. Open via prying, busted pieces of shell from thier efforts included.

Tags
italian