"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
This isn't really relevant now, but oranges for the Orioles in the summer. Supposedly. Or grape jelly.
But no matter what I put out for them, they are always at the hummingbird feeders!
The cardinals and blue jays love the black sunflower best I think. Good thing it's cheap!

Old 12-28-2007, 05:16 AM   #12
Executive Chef

What do you consider cheap for sunflower seeds Suzi? Here it is A$14.40 for a 5kg bag. It was scare here for quite a while due to the drought.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #13
Master Chef

Cardinals will eat cracked corn just as easily as sunflower seeds, if you're trying to save a few bucks. The oil in the sunflower seeds is good for them, but the corn gives them lots of nutrition too.

We just use the wild bird mix, as it also contains little seeds for the smaller birds such as chickadees and titmice.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #14
Head Chef

Birds can eat rice--that is an urban legend that it swells in their stomachs and kills them. Plain white rice has calories, but not a lot of other nutrition, so it really isn't a great bird seed, but they can eat it safely. (And you can throw it at brides with no fear.)

You can make your own seed cakes by melting equal quanities of shortening or lard and peanut butter. Stir in corn meal, ww flour and/or sunflower seeds, chill it, and put it out in wire baskets or old onion bags.

You can also smear peanut butter right on a tree trunk--the titmice, chickadees and nuthatches will vacuum it right off.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #15
Executive Chef

What about raw oatmeal?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:14 PM   #16
Head Chef

Oatmeal is fine, raw or cooked. Also, while you are clearing the breakfast table, they like eggs. And the egg shells. (Let the shells dry on the counter for a day or so, and then crush them. They are especially popular during nesting season--the birds are getting the calcium they need to make their own eggshells.)
Old 12-29-2007, 09:45 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Oatmeal is fine, raw or cooked. Also, while you are clearing the breakfast table, they like eggs. And the egg shells. (Let the shells dry on the counter for a day or so, and then crush them. They are especially popular during nesting season--the birds are getting the calcium they need to make their own eggshells.)
Thanks I just want to give them the best and I just knew there had to be something in the house that may be good for them.So now Im wondering if I tossed some olive oil in the oatmeal for the really cold nights it could be helpful.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I gave up on corn. I've made my birds picky, the only ones that eat it are the million squirrells.

Bilby (sorry I've been MIA!) I think we pay about $15 for a 25 lb bag? It's been awhile, I can't remember. And I don't know the kg /lb OR the $/ AU$ translations.....
Old 12-31-2007, 10:10 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
Bilby (sorry I've been MIA!) I think we pay about $15 for a 25 lb bag? It's been awhile, I can't remember. And I don't know the kg /lb OR the $/ AU$ translations.....
Providing you've been enjoying yourself Suzi, I'll forgive you... this time!!!

I'm not quite up with the conversions either but if you divide the kilos into the lbs and A$ into US$, stand on your head and sing the "Supercalifragilicious" song backwards, I think it works out ... that yours is cheaper!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:22 AM   #20
Head Chef

I can buy black oil sunflower seeds for $16 for a 50 pound bag at the feed store. Last year, it was $11, and sometimes went on sale for nine or ten dollars.

Olive oil mixed with your oatmeal would be delicious gourmet food for the birdies, jpm, but why not just buy some bird seed?