"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #41
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Dave, your right I don't need him agrravating me now no more then I needed it before when I gave him the ultimatum ,thats when he siad he wasn't the one that would be leaving( that was just before I lost my job). I know at this point I can not support myself so I'm kindof stuck. Husband is a whole different story,for the most part we don't have a marriage. I admit when I first lost my job I was picky about what I applied for,Made a mistake doing that, I am now willing to take any job I can get.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #42
Sous Chef

Bilby, I have not kept everything from my daughter, I just dont want her to see me a total wreck. She has been really great, she has not asked for anything since I lost my job, and I recently found out she used her last 10$ to pay for a review book that she had to have for school. As far as a job, very few places will hire before the age of 16, she tried all summer to get someone to hire her. I have already told her that if it comes down to me working evenings,which if one is offered I will take it, we'd have to make arrangements.
What is the oz site?, I've checked on some internet things in the area,but other then that I'm always afraid I'm going to get one thats, like you said, dodgy.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
Dave,I have gave him ultimatum before,thats when he siad he wasn't the one that would be leaving( that was just before I lost my job). I know at this point I can not support myself so I'm kindof stuck. Husband is a whole different story,for the most part we don't have a marriage. I admit when I first lost my job I was picky about what I applied for,Made a mistake doing that, I am now willing to take any job I can get.
Wow Im so sorry to hear that not wonder you feel so down no work is bad enough but to have that on top of it just raises the stress level to almost unbearable.Have you thought of day care at home just make sure you know the limit of kids before you need a license it could bring in some cash or care for the elderly in their house its basically baby sitting some light house work some cooking etc.They usually have a day shift a night shift and a weekend shift, pay is usually pretty good
Old 12-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #44
Master Chef

Hey, your going to be okay mikki. There is nothing that I can say that is going to make you feel better, I know, because, I was there last year. I lost my job and it seemed like everytime I thought I would get one, it never went anywhere. Our bank account was down to a couple of hundred dollars and I was so stressed, I cried on a daily basis. I would look online and in all the papers and go to everything I qualified for and even some that I didn't. The one job that I passed up once, I finally called because I was desperate and you know what? The owners are good people and I found a job that I thought I would never do. I manage my own storage facility now after a year of being there. Something is just around the corner for you, just have faith in yourself. You are feeling worse now because of the holidays, that's natural. Try to get through the holidays and not be down, because, you feeling this way isn't going to make anything better, just make you more miserable. Watch what becomes available to you after the 1st. Don't let DH get you down. Anytime you need to talk, you have friends here that will be here for you, just as they were for me. You just can't get a better group of people than the DC family!!
Old 12-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #45
Sous Chef

I have been able to deal with the stress pretty well,yesterday was the worst,DH had taken half of Thur and all of Fri. off and was in making remarks almost constantly about me not haveing o job, so I had 3 days of him poking at me and couldn't handle it. Babysitting in my home is out,DH is a fanitic about the house,15 year old gets yelled at for eating popcorn in livingroom, so I could just see what would happen if I had someone elses kids in the house. Never thought about the elderly, I'll have to check into that. Thanks for the idea
Old 12-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #46
Senior Cook

Mikki, when you do get work, make sure that the first 10% goes in a savings account for you. Lie, if you need to, about how much you are making, but better still, state it as an announcement. There is nothing like some money in your bank to make a bh (bad husband) shape up. And when you get work, if he wants the living room perfect, let him look after it.

I like the idea of elder care, and you could probably do some shift work, so you spent more time in the house alone, and less when your husband is there. A little time on his own might be good for him.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordel View Post
Mikki, when you do get work, make sure that the first 10% goes in a savings account for you. Lie, if you need to, about how much you are making, but better still, state it as an announcement. There is nothing like some money in your bank to make a bh (bad husband) shape up. And when you get work, if he wants the living room perfect, let him look after it.

I like the idea of elder care, and you could probably do some shift work, so you spent more time in the house alone, and less when your husband is there. A little time on his own might be good for him.
You are so right Cordel.My father used to tell me that even if I was marrried I should have an account the husband doesn't know about then he would go HeHeHe that way you have bus money to get out of town if you hafto.Well I dont have a secret account but I do have some some savings that he knows about and he cant touch it because its mine.So in the back of his mind he knows if I really wanted to which I dont I have the means to leave.
A CD is a great way to go go with the highest interest even if its only 90 days then you go to the bank and shop around to findest the highest again and transfer to the next one.Also have your own mad money account
Old 12-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #48
Sous Chef

I plan on setting aside of some cash. I had started that, have my own account he knows nothing about. My previous job was 10 hours a day,we didn't see each other much, probably why we were not seperated yet. When we are together he thinks I should be stuck up his you know what. I know I've got to make changes just have to have cash first.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
I plan on setting aside of some cash. I had started that, have my own account he knows nothing about. My previous job was 10 hours a day,we didn't see each other much, probably why we were not seperated yet. When we are together he thinks I should be stuck up his you know what. I know I've got to make changes just have to have cash first.
Where do you parent live? Do you have any family?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #50
Sous Chef

My parents live in the same area,but are in no position to help.